WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Not feeling super chatty, my apologies.

Today we had to say goodbye to our beloved Smokey. He came to us in December 2008 as a foreclosure rescue, and was the sweetest, gentlest, most good-natured creature there ever was. Just a doll.

He was only 8 but very ill, he was in constant pain and his weight had dropped from 15 pounds to 7. It was time to let him go, but it was incredibly hard. We'll bury him Saturday on some land we own in West Virginia. I dread when my daughter gets home from school. She knew it was time, but it's another thing to have him gone.

Hugs to all.

Virginia

Smokey.jpg
  • ValReaves
    ValReaves Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    OK...Count me in! I'll be happy with slow and steady! I look forward to being a part of your group!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    AHealthierSuzyQ -

Hi! Very interested in your approach. I haven't heard of Mastering your Matb. I have really been struggling to get the scale moving in the right direction. I suspect some of my problem is related to hormones all over the place. Would love to hear more about what you eat... Looks like you have lost a lot!! - Congratulations! Sarah

Its a book my masseuse kept talking to me about when we would discuss nutrition by Jillian Michaels. Its quite an eye opener, written for the layperson from an endocrinology stand point. Turns out that specific foods and chemicals IN our foods inhibit or stimulate hormone levels that keep us fat or slim. Her mantra is, "Eat real food. If it didn't grow from the ground and it doesn't have a mother, don't eat it." (Have you ever seen an Oreo or Cheeto tree?)

The first 4 chapters are the basics of endocrine disruption before you get down to the actual what to avoid vs what to eat. Basically you eliminate everything from your diet that has preservatives or artificial anything in it. She did a great job of explaining WHY each food is good for you or not and how many servings you should eat a day. This book has tons of information, including chemical code words on labels to be on the lookout for, that I will go back to again and again. The back has sample menus, recipes and even a list of brands and resources for healthy real foods. Best part is its all DO-able.

Now we eat whole grains, and organic produce, dairy eggs, and meat. I've gotten used to using evoo instead of butter on all my veggies. Seems like I use loads of beans, onions and garlic too... Been trying to really read labels and shy away from things with flavor enhancers and other chemicals. Labels can sure be deceiving! Did you know according to the FDA for a product to be labeled whole grain it only has to be at least 51% whole grain? Shouldn't that be half-grain! :tongue:

So I've been doing lots of experimenting with things I've never eaten before like Greek yogurt, agave nectar and quinoa and finding I like them! Hope this answers enough of your questions that you know whether or not you want to invest in the book. I got mine on ebay for $4 + shipping.

As John Maxwell says,“The whole idea of motivation is a trap. Forget motivation. Just do it. Exercise, lose weight, test your blood sugar, or whatever. Do it without motivation. And then, guess what? After you start doing the thing, that's when the motivation comes and makes it easy for you to keep on doing it.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Today we had to say goodbye to our beloved Smokey. He came to us in December 2008 as a foreclosure rescue, and was the sweetest, gentlest, most good-natured creature there ever was. Just a doll.

He was only 8 but very ill, he was in constant pain and his weight had dropped from 15 pounds to 7. It was time to let him go, but it was incredibly hard. We'll bury him Saturday on some land we own in West Virginia. I dread when my daughter gets home from school. She knew it was time, but it's another thing to have him gone.

Hugs to all.

Virginia

I'm so sorry about your kitty. We had one named Smokey also that we lost a few years ago, his ashes and collar are on our shelf along with his playmate's Oscar. We have a business nearby called "All Pets Go To Heaven" that has a little chapel where you can hold your own service for your pet, that helped us a lot.
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Evening All ..

:noway: 'Tis fffreezing here tonight. -8C I think ...but I'm not going out to find out the exact temp!

Nothing much happening either. Home with DH after eating homemade seafood paella. That wasn't too bad I suppose as I had quite a few cleaning calories from todays toil but ...the chocolate fudge cake ....well? It's all logged down and I'm in my calories. Phew!! :wink: Mind you we'll see what the scales will say tomorrow ....

:heart: Virginia ....Sad news about Smokey. A handsome looking cat for sure ,who will obviously be sadly missed by your family.

:drinker: I've a few lunches out to juggle next week ....as a mystery diner! I'll try and stick to steak and salad...honest! Dh and I have signed up with a few agencies and have had quite a few assignments. We've done mystery shopping too. It gets us out and about, free lunches or free groceries plus a fee ..... Can't be bad!
    :noway: I draw the line at mystery dining in a well known burger chain though! We've declined those assignments!

A nice coffee now and an evening in I think ...somewhere warm!

:flowerforyou: Take care everyone ....tomorrow starts the weekend!!

BFN
    Jackie.
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Thank you AHealthierSuzyQ !! Great information. I think I'll try to find the book at our library or e-bay. Great suggestion.

Virginia - so so sorry to hear about your kitty. Hope that your daughter took it ok when she got home. We had to put our cat down last year. It was a rough rough day.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options

Virginia

Smokey.jpg

:heart: My heart goes out to you. Every pet we have ever had was/is a rescue and they SURE become part of the family quick. Only those with furry babies truly understand how hard those kind of goodbyes are. HUGS!
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I didn't do too well on my goals for January. I worked out a lot but didn't lose any weight. Goals for February:
    - Exercise 60 to 90 minutes every day, no exceptions
    - Take class at gym 3 days a week
    - Make lunch the main meal of the day. Have protein shake or something light for dinner.
    - Weigh no more than 150 by Feb. 29
  • wwcheapway
    Options
    Thank you Mary I feel better already . Having a group helps..I will post my first weight on Monday as the week as already began and I forgot or was afraid to weight in.....Looking forward to much support from this group.:-)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Pam - hope you feel better real fast. I hate it when I'm feeling dizzy.

Welcome brunsda!

Welcome northernbell! You'll get lots of encouragement here, that's for sure. Do you know that just today I found out that the Giants are playing in the superbowl. To me, a superbowl is a toilet that cleans itself....lol

Liz - boy! You sure were one very active lady! But you'll get it back, I know you will

kaymd - hey there. Great goals!

Did an hour of a band workout DVD today, then went to a line dancing class for an hour, then lunch with the Newcomers then to the Humane Society. Tomorrow I'll do some HIIT and then go play mahjongg.

Today as I was doing some ab work on the band DVD, my lower tummy felt "tight" so I just figured that we'd done different ab exercises yesterday and I probably just pulled a muscle. Imagine my surprise when I finished and went to the bathroom and saw that I'd gotten my period!!!! I haven't had one in over a year. I'd forgotten what cramps felt like, before I immediately knew what they were.

Jan - you've come to the right place for lots of support

wwcheapway - welcome! Post away! We love reading all you have to say, good and bad

Virginia - ((((gigantic hugs)))) Smokey was so adorable. How old was he?

valreaves - welcome! I don't think I've ever heard of internal shingles. Sounds real painful, real painful

Well, I've gotta go lay down. I'm just not used to this cramping.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • leedart
    Options
    :happy: I started!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I ran 178 miles in January. I'm not sure what I'm running in February. I'm getting ready for a half marathon in March and I'm thinking about running a marathon in May. I'm trying to get my 5K under 25 minutes. I'm going to run another 5K on Feb. 11th to see how I'm doing.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    :happy: I started!

Good for you, and welcome! Come back and tell us something about yourself! Mary
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I would love to join this group.
    My February goals are to lose 5 pounds, get in 30 - 45 minutes of exercise 5 days a week and hopefully make some progress in my battle with menopausal insomnia.

Virginia, so sorry about the loss of your precious Kitty. I have been there and feel your pain.
  • kckramp
    kckramp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well happy groundhog day. If we have 6 more weeks of winter like this it won't be bad here today our high was 78. I do like living in the Charleston area.
    My goals for February are to finish the 30 day shred. I did day 15 today, I started January 3rd.
    in January I have lost and gained the same 2 pounds from Christmas, I would like to get back to loosing and never seeing it again. I would like to lose 2 to 3 pounds this month.
    Take care all
    KC
  • jencjeffery
    jencjeffery Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My goals for Feb - continue to log on to MFP every day, record all my food and continue to exercise at least 5 times a week.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!May not post for awhile.Moving in with son and family.Went to ortho dr.Put me on anti inflammatories,pain med.and wants me to try pt for 3 weeks.Surgery in the near future,arthoscopic or knee replacement,more red tape.
    Thanks for all your well wishes and prayers.
    Have a great week-end!!
    Jane
  • kleinbuenstorf
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! :flowerforyou:

Had a great and busy day !!! :happy: Did my 6 miles of walking, had my yoga class, logged in every thing and did not use my extra calories!! :bigsmile:

Virginia - I'm sooo sorry about your lovely cat !! I know how hard that is and my heart goes out to you and your daughter! :heart:
    lesli1 - Hi, I thought I recognize you from the "100 miles in February" Challenge!! Welcome!!:smile:

And welcome to all the newcomers, you'll like it here!!! :happy:

Wishing everyone a relaxing evening, :flowerforyou:
    Desiree
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: MEG, I just finished reading “Strong Women Stay Young”. It has an easy to follow strength training plan that uses dumbbells and ankle weights and doesn’t require getting down on the floor.

:bigsmile: Jan, I count walking the dogs as part of my exercise. I just got a heart rate monitor and found out that it actually is a bit of a workout…….when the dogs are sniffing in the bushes, I do squats or jog in place to keep my heart rate up.

:bigsmile: JustKate, nearly every disciplined woman on this site arrived here many pounds overweight and with very few healthy habits…….I learned a lot from the women on this thread and have taken baby steps to get to the disciplined life I lead now.

:bigsmile: Genealace, I’m glad to hear that DBF is making progress in his recovery and that your furnace may be on the way to recovery, as well

:bigsmile: Mary, I read the article about how the scale lies…..great info…….also loved the chocolate bar quote.

:bigsmile: Laura, this is the beginning of your new life…..leave the past behind and move forward

:bigsmile: Celticmuse, I am looking forward to seeing a picture of you in the UGW new dress.

:flowerforyou: Jb, the 100 squats a day challenge that I joined has 95 members…….currently fewer than 10 are still posting……maybe you could start with 20 squats a day for 20 days and gradually increase the numbers

:bigsmile: Wwcheapway, post your weight on this thread as a way to be accountable……..your plan to get up a little earlier each week sounds like a great way to increase your exercise in a way that you can live with.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Virginia, I am so sorry about Smokey. What a beautiful cat. The only way to not go through this pain is to never love an animal and that just isn’t possible.

:bigsmile: SuzyQ, I love your motivation quote.

:bigsmile: MacMadame, thanks for telling us about your sports photo taking experience.....I'm still watching the figure skating championships and noticing the people with cameras but none of them looks like you

:bigsmile: Welcome to all the new members……keep showing up and posting and in no time, you’ll feel like part of the family.

:smile: :ohwell: :ohwell: My exercise was excellent today but then we went to Costco where they had more stuff to taste than usual trying to get people to buy snacks for the Super Bowl and I ate six samples of cheese, some hummus with pita chips, and some chocolate covered blueberries……..since I don’t allow either cheese or pita chips in my house because I have a history of eating the whole package, it was a special treat and sort of a victory.

:flowerforyou: It was so overcast just before sunrise that I wondered if it would ever get light......the groundhog would never have seen his shadow here :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all, :happy:

Reading your goals is getting me inspired. I've got my exercise in for the first two days of the month (circuit training and a 30 minute interval run). Tomorrow is the long-awaited Spin Class. Stay posted!

Yesterday was an "activity day" for the intermediate grades at my school. I supervised the group that went to the Rec Centre to swim and skate. I was supervising, so I could not go upstairs to the gym for a quick workout or run. Darn! :grumble: Next week I get to go with the skiing group, that will be much more fun because I can ski with them, I don't have to spend the day chasing them out of change-rooms and away from the concession stand.

Barbie, another way to keep track of water is to put elastic bands on your water glass, one for each glass you need to drink to get your total. Move a band (or take it off) for each glassful you drink. Done and dusted. :drinker: I am going to look for the book “Strong Women Stay Young”

Genealace, so glad to hear that your furnace and your DBF are both doing better! :happy:

msh0530: Thanks for the article about scales & short term weight fluctuation. That’s one reason why I did not set a weight loss goal for the month. Exercise & food & water consumption are things I can control. Weight loss is a bit more random.

It also reminded me to watch the sodium content in the packaged soups I like soooo much.:noway: It might be a better idea to stick to home-made. I turn to the packaged soups when I don’t “Plan What I Eat” (quoting Virginia!).

Jb, will you post your recipe for wontons? I have a WW version and I’d love to try something different.

So sorry to hear about Smokey, Virginia. :cry:

Off to get the kitchen tidied up and food for tomorrow organized. I have a plan...:wink:

Nancy