WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    HELP I am not hungry today and have over 500 calories left what would you do?

Sherry
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Welcome to newcomers!
    Jane - You remain in my thoughts and prayers.
    Sherry - If I were you? If I had at least hit close to 1200 calories, I would call it a day and go on with my life. (Probably if I was anywhere over 1000 and knew it was just going to be one day.)

The birthday list: (Remember, if you want to be included, send me a personal message, and you will be on the next time it is posted.)
    And happy birthday, doobiedoo!

50+ thread Birthdays
    January:
    5 – csally01
    6 – barmbord
    13 - Qpeace
    17 – grabbit97
    25 – zuback55
    28 - genealace
    29 - ritamerlot

February:
    2 – doobiedoo
    7 – 2youngatheart
    7 – jeqrosen
    9 – AHealthierSuzyQ
    15 - anotheryearolder

March:
    1 – auntiebk
    3 - arborsong
    4 - heartrw
    6 – jeanne3651
    7 – DebKRN
    7 - vypeters
    8 – pmjsmom
    8 - deb_rn
    12 – glendaaus
    14 – cj1234cj23
    15 – joylaut
    20 - spaniel60
    21 – cjwil01
    25 – barbiecat
    30 – BirdieM
    31 – wizzywig

April:
    4 – Lyn54
    4 - frogmama
    8 – grandee47
    11 – smelliott
    11 – kel7298
    14 - ildi59
    17 - Cindyw7
    22 – sceck

May:
    2 – gracete
    2 – janemartin02
    4 – chicletgirl21
    5 – Debma1010
    6 - smwert
    13 – lovediets
    13 - jberberian
    20 – mimi7grands
    23 - debieanne
    25 – jam0525
    25 – wehavethestars
    25 - sissygok
    26 – vickim26
    27 - rjadams
    30 – msh0530

June:
    3 - eotrg
    4 - Caminogirl
    4 - Shirley61
    12 – Ldspill
    13- tiarapants
    23 - goldwingrider
    27 - Donna56
    30 - RebelRenny

July:
    3 - Iojoi
    7 – Lindaj07
    8 – BarbieCat1
    9 - yvonnemfp
    20 - TeresaSavage
    27 – mynyddisamrs
    31 - randylevy

August:
    7 – MacMadame
    15 - CathiAnne
    18 – bkrbabe57
    24 – cherubcrnp
    24 - Kckramp
    27 - corqueen

September:
    2 – Laura80111
    14 – ItsTerriC
    22 - gloriaandison

October:
    3 – shiddelson
    8 - djdreger
    15 – Jolandolfo
    21 - peepocheck
    23 – rjnandjosh

November:
    11 – kackie
    19 - Benson
    30 – SallyCC
    30 – topaz2986

December:
    6 – cucoyannie
    24 – frogmama
    30 – caharleygirl
  • jhoson
    jhoson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all I am in this category have no motivation, dont exercise, have diabetes type 2 and dont like the way I look. Help.........................:sad:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    Hi all I am in this category have no motivation, dont exercise, have diabetes type 2 and dont like the way I look. Help.........................:sad:

I learned this from a woman on this thread::bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

As John Maxwell says,“The whole idea of motivation is a trap. Forget motivation. Just do it. Exercise, lose weight, test your blood sugar, or whatever. Do it without motivation. And then, guess what? After you start doing the thing, that's when the motivation comes and makes it easy for you to keep on doing it.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    HELP I am not hungry today and have over 500 calories left what would you do?

Sherry

:flowerforyou: make a better plan for tomorrow with less processed food, more veggies, six small meals and then go to bed :yawn: :yawn:
  • scompton54
    Options
    Today totally sucked on the food and exercise front but tomorrow is another day.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Kitchen is clean, beans are soaking for tomorrow. Stayed under my calories for today. STILL need to drink more water! :drinker: Goodnight ladies :yawn:
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Wow! I can't believe how many pages have been filled up in just a few days!

Congratulations go out to so many of you that met your January goals. Reading February goals has proved to be very interesting and has already given me some ideas for next month.

Cathy- Enjoy your visit with your son and his family

Virginia- Sorry about Smokey.

Met with my book club today. I was pretty good in the eating department there- a little popcorn,1/2 of a potato skin, and 1/2 of my strawberry salad. The book that we read last month, Crooked Letter, Crooked letter, was unusual in that every one of us liked it. Quite often there are several folks who do not care for a selection. This was one that was enjoyed by all. The other book club that I am in read "Hunger Games," and I also enjoyed that one. There were many nights when I would still be reading at 10:30 or 11 and I would have to force myself to put it down to go to sleep since I get up for work at 3:30. Not working tomorrow, so I'm still going strong tonight!
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Good Morning! Wow do I feel those lunges from yesterday. Great suggestion. I have an appointment with a new orthopedic surgeon today. Hope he can help me get my life back. I'd be thrilled to just walk again.

Love all these February suggestions. I'm learning a lot from all of you. TGIF

PS. Love the book suggestion too. Really loved the Hunger Games series, read them after my 12 year old. Will have to look for the other one.
  • ValReaves
    ValReaves Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!-- A new day! A fresh start! I'm in the kitchen assembling all I will need today so there will be no surprizes or deprivation. I feel like I'm going to war with this "thing".... Have a good day everyone!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,811 Member
    Options
    Hi - just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for the great reads and support. I think I was reading about January and saw a suggestion about "Younger Next Year for Women". I downloaded the book and read it. VERY informational and motivational. So a big thank you to everyone here. I am learning a lot even though I mostly lurk. ;)
  • justkate2
    justkate2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone. Hope everyone has a great day. thank goodnes its Friday.
    Looking forward to weekend Anyone have any ideas for healthy snacks for Super Bowl?
    I think pizza, onion rings, and wings are a little out of the questiion:laugh:

My heart goes out to the loss of your cat. I know how hard it is I lost

Welcome new members Looking forward to meeting with you.

Gotta go but am commited to stick to my calorie count today! kate
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good morning girls,

i am better but not well.....i have very low energy, and i cant even look or smell food.....yesterday i forced myself to have some broth and some crackers...had a little of it for lunch and the rest for dinner.....

i have been thinking about my February goals: i will continued to eat in a healthy matter, log in everyday, log everything that goes in my mouth and workout(60 minutes daily)i am reducing my workout time for this month, since i am in the process of moving, of course i don't know when i will be getting to gym, i am hoping for Monday(i have a scheduled weight training session)the next few days i will work on getting better...but i have decided not to set a weight loss goal, my thinking is that if i maintain all of the above, the weight loss will come...

@virginia...sorry about smokey
    @janemartin....please take care
    @michele....WHAT a surprise!!!

welcome are the newbies, we look forward to get to know you all..

have a lovely day all:flowerforyou:

i am sorry not to respond to more of you, but i really dont feel well
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning all :laugh:

It’s Friday Fun Day again and I could wear my skinny jeans to work except I forgot to put them in the dryer last night :noway: . I’ll have to wear the baggy black jeans instead.

We have our last gymnastics class with the guest teacher. I’ve really enjoyed having her because it’s fun and because I didn’t have to plan PE classes. It’s not that I mind teaching gym, it’s that I never, ever participated in any team sports as a child so I’m totally lame at coaching them. It’s OK when I have younger classes but the grade 6/7’s expect something more. I give them a killer fitness circuit once a week though! :laugh:

Spin class this afternoon, must phone and reserve my bike. :explode:

Jhoson, start one step at a time, literally. Walk for five minutes - to the end of your driveway, around the block, twice up and down your hallway, whatever it takes. Have a drink of water. :drinker: Do it again tomorrow.

Scompton, Sarah. You never totally suck, I know you.:flowerforyou: You’re making great changes in your life. Keep it up!

Frogmama: Please keep me posted on what your book club is reading. My son & older students loved Hunger Games, I gave a copy to my nephew for Christmas and sister says he’s addicted to the series. I’ll be looking for Crooked Letter in my library.

:happy:

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies

Virgina so sorry about Smokey.

too many posts to comment on all.

Yesterday was the first day in 2 weeks that I didn't get on the treadmill. I know it was because of the evil cherry cordial M&M's that someone brought into work. Once i had a little sugar in my system the rest of the day was down hill all the way.

I plan on making today a better one. I hope you all a good day.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. Colonoscopy later today, just finishing up my yucky laxative solution. Can't wait to get back to normal eating,
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    WONTONS (boiled, not fried)
    from Helen Chen's Chinese Home Cooking

Makes approx 48-50 wontons, serves 8, 6 pieces per serving, 210 calories

1/2 lb ground turkey, chicken or pork
    (If using turkey or chicken, add 1/4 c. shrimp, chopped fine)
    1 T. plus 1 t. soy sauce
    Scant 1 T. canola oil
    Dash sesame oil
    1/4 t. salt
    1/3 c. cooked spinach, squeezed dry
    1 T. minced scallions
    1 t. cornstarch
    1 t. dry sherry
    1 to 1 1/2 lbs wonton skins (I use all Nasoya all natural)

Mix all ingredients together and place 1 rounded half-teaspoon of filling into each wonton skin, seal edges and fold.

Boil 3 quarts water, reduce heat to medium. Add as many wontons as can freely swim about. Stir and cover pot. Return to boil and add 1 cup water immediately. Cover pot and return to boil, then remove from heat. Let stand 5 min. Drain well.

Optional dipping sauce: Whisk together a little soy sauce & rice vinegar with bit of sugar and dash sesame oil.

To freeze uncooked wontons, place, not touching, on lightly floured sheet pan and freeze. Hit the sheet pan against the edge of a counter to release wontons, then store in freezer bag. Cook frozen wontons using the same method as above. Do not defrost before cooking.

Nutritional info for 6 pieces using ground pork (not including dipping sauce):
    210 cal, 3 calcium, 8 fat, 10 protein, 445 sodium, 121 potassium

:drinker:
    These wontons are melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Serve with a heap of low-oil-stir-fry-steamed vegs using plenty of fresh ginger and garlic. YUM
  • Cando055
    Cando055 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! I'm new here, but have been looking for a consistent source of support on MFP for some time. This looks like an amazing, active group, and I hope to get to know you and give as well as get some motivation and support. I'll start by sharing my story and goals.

I had no problems with my weight through high school and college, but began to put on some pounds during the four years that I worked full time and went to law school at night. When I got out of school in 1982, I dropped the weight almost instantly and absolutely effortlessly. Then came marriage, two kids, continued full-time litigation practice, virtually no time to myself, and the weight crept up a pound or two a year. Nothing too extreme and, frankly, I was too busy to really even notice and I got comfortable in my new size 12 (I'm 5'4). Then I hit age 50, and wow, what a shock! My weight climbed steadily and noticeably. When our son started college 6 years ago, I was 168 lbs and in a size 14. That was enough to move me into action. I worked with a dietician and got back to 147 lbs when she relocated and I felt comfortable that I could keep on losing without support. I did hold steady, more or less, for the past several years. I hovered between 150 and 155 lbs, and dabbled with diets and exercise, but never tackled the lifestyle changes that I need to get back to where I should be. Every new year I made the same resolution, and every December I found myself in exactly the same place. What's that definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? That's been my story.

Fast forward. My husband and I took a dream trip to Italy in October. Usually when we travel we walk our feet off, which generally compensates for the excesses in food and drink. This time I stumbled and broke my ankle just days into the nearly 3-week trip (I didn't learn it was broken until I got home). Instead of walking, I spent a lot of time sitting, riding, and watching, but I didn't curb the indulgences in pasta, red wine, and other amazing Italian delights. When I got home I was over 160 lbs, and since my activity was severely limited for the next 2 months while my ankle healed, I got to nearly 165 lbs -- a shocking number that I thought I would never see again. Man, how depressing!

So I made a resolution this January to seriously change my life. Regular exercise, clean eating, and (my biggest challlenge), moderate alcohol (a major stress reliever). My best weight is between 125 to 130 lbs, so I've got close to 40 lbs to lose. More important, I want to get rid of my frumpy clothes, get my waist measurement to be less than my chest measurement, get out of my DD bras, and regain my energy and sense of self esteem. I've really been in a down place these past several years, and I intend to turn that around.

My first challenge is my daughter's graduation at the end of April, with a degree in dietetics and nutrition! I will NOT be the fat parent watching that class graduate (I still cringe when I see the picture of myself the day we dropped her at Pitt 4 years ago). My second challenge is a 5-day bike trip I've registered to take with my daughter in mid-June, from Pittsburgh to D.C. I WILL be in shape to bike the whole trip (and not wimp out in the SAG van). And finally, my husband and I are attending a gathering of our boat club in Detroit in early August. One of thefriends we'll be meeting there also is a friend on MFP, so we've been challenging each other to be in great shape for the rendezvous. So those are great target dates: April, June, and August. I'm serious, I'm committed, and I can do this!

I hope I haven't bored you all to tears. Posting this is one way of stepping out, in a public forum, and stating my intentions. No more wishy washy, vague and uncertain goals. I know what I want. I know I can get it. I'd like to be accountable. I've read all your posts from this month and have so much in common with so many of you. I'm going to get active and look forward to getting to know you. It's a big overwhelming right now, but consider this a dip of my toe into the waters.

And to Virginia, let me just add my sympathy for your loss. The pain of losing a pet is nearly unbearable.

Thanks, all, for listening.

Eileen
  • maureennj
    maureennj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just joined today - 235 - my first goal is to get under 200 - after that I'll set another goal.

For February, my goal is to track my food and exercise here everyday and work out 2 times a week for 45 minutes.

Happy Friday!
    Maureen
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I can't believe we hit 3 sections last month and we are on page 6 already.

January was OK for me. I lost .5 of a pound, but it was enough to put me back under 150, so that is good. I started doing GutNBut again. GutNBut is a nickname for a series of core strength exercises a doctor gave my DD two years ago after major hip surgery. I found a work walking buddy who is not afraid of the wind and/or a light rain.

Not sure on goals as I am really focusing on one day at a time. Well, I guess that is my goal.

Jeannie