Health Food is too.......

Options

Replies

• xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options

they employ thousands of Americans. How can that be bad???

how can that be bad? Because honest hard work is bad *sarcasm*. Nobody deserves
    to work for minimum wage. I mean, how insulting is that!

Brought to you by the Federal Dept of Humor.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options

My dad's wife works for Walmart and they don't exactly treat their employees great...at least the one she works for...was much better when Sam Walton was alive. Not bashing just saying.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options

My dad's wife works for Walmart and they don't exactly treat their employees great...at least the one she works for...was much better when Sam Walton was alive. Not bashing just saying.

I've heard the same thing. One of the managers that works for me now used to work for WalMart. He said they paid managers pretty well, but it was not a great place for employee treatment.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm with Sarge on this one... a job is a job. Wish my husband had the luxury of complaining about his employer.
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    I've read through this thread and I see that it got kind of heated.

I can see how there are some very good intentions, but the message "you can afford to eat healthy, you just chose not to" could definitely be offensive to people that ARE trying to be healthy and are struggling financially. What might be helpful is another thread where people share tips and ideas about how to eat healthy on a budget. You might encourage people to make that step and show them that they might be able to afford more than they think, but at the same time you wouldn't be passign judgement. There have been helpful suggestions in this thread, but they are mixed in with heated discussion.

In all seriousness, I would love an answer to this:

Why is heated debate bad? I certainly respect the opinions of every person here, I don't have to agree with them but I am not sitting here thinking bad things about them or their families, or even their choices. Choosing to eat fast, cheap food is your right!!!!!! I don't think anyone is "bad" for doing that. I just think it's unfair to say healthy food is too expensive.

This happened on another thread recently. I know I have a tendancy to dig my heels in when I believe in something. Through the other "heated debate" people started making far fetched comments, assuming what I was thinking and attributing it to things I said, even though I never said those things, and then finally, presuming things about my children and in a way attacking them, and their lifestyle, choices and habits.

I truly don't understand why having serious, sometimes heated, conversations about important issues is such a bad thing. If I offended anyone I am TRULY sorry. I accept that everyone is different, I just think we as a country tend to believe the lies we are fed by the media and we take the easy way out on a lot of things, like this. I am not condeming anyone for their shopping or eating habits.

A lot of really good points were made by everyone participating in this thread, and I hope everyone took some food for thought away from this. I know it gave me a lot to consider, like how to change the message of "healthy food is affordable" when I talk to some of my clients and friends. It made me think about the fact that in the big picture, this is about so much more than just food. I think I really needed that reminder today. So, thanks to everyone and I really, really hope I didn't upset anyone. :flowerforyou:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Entitlement alert!! You are all straying from the topic a bit! just saying!
  • xsargex
    Options
    I've been treated like crap at just about every job I've ever worked at. With maybe the exception of UPS. Now that company treats their employee's like gold. Everyone knows that company would be nothing without those drivers. Seriously.

But lets face it, there's always something you don't like about your job. A boss. A co-worker. The snacks in the vending machine.

In the great words of Dr. Denis Leary "Life sucks, get a F**Kn helmet"
  • czewwhat
    Options

I can see how there are some very good intentions, but the message "you can afford to eat healthy, you just chose not to" could definitely be offensive to people that ARE trying to be healthy and are struggling financially. What might be helpful is another thread where people share tips and ideas about how to eat healthy on a budget. You might encourage people to make that step and show them that they might be able to afford more than they think, but at the same time you wouldn't be passign judgement. There have been helpful suggestions in this thread, but they are mixed in with heated discussion.

Why is heated debate bad? I certainly respect the opinions of every person here, I don't have to agree with them but I am not sitting here thinking bad things about them or their families, or even their choices. Choosing to eat fast, cheap food is your right!!!!!! I don't think anyone is "bad" for doing that. I just think it's unfair to say healthy food is too expensive.

This happened on another thread recently. I know I have a tendancy to dig my heels in when I believe in something. Through the other "heated debate" people started making far fetched comments, assuming what I was thinking and attributing it to things I said, even though I never said those things, and then finally, presuming things about my children and in a way attacking them, and their lifestyle, choices and habits.

I truly don't understand why having serious, sometimes heated, conversations about important issues is such a bad thing. If I offended anyone I am TRULY sorry. I accept that everyone is different, I just think we as a country tend to believe the lies we are fed by the media and we take the easy way out on a lot of things, like this. I am not condeming anyone for their shopping or eating habits.

A lot of really good points were made by everyone participating in this thread, and I hope everyone took some food for thought away from this. I know it gave me a lot to consider, like how to change the message of "healthy food is affordable" when I talk to some of my clients and friends. It made me think about the fact that in the big picture, this is about so much more than just food. I think I really needed that reminder today. So, thanks to everyone and I really, really hope I didn't upset anyone. :flowerforyou:

Bravo! well stated
  • xsargex
    Options

i'm offended. i'm offended that you assume I'm offended.
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options

i'm offended. i'm offended that you assume I'm offended.

<<<banging head against desk>>> I don't assume anything!!!! I guess maybe that's part of my problem. It's so strange, I am honestly awesome at communicating effectively IRL, and online, I always, always manage to piss people off, totally without intending to! Maybe I'm being overly sensitive today because trust me, I offended ALL KINDS of people the other day!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    LOL:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • czewwhat
    Options
    LOL:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dead horse whipping time!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think that it depends on how you shopped/eat before MFP that makes the diff if it is less or more expensive. If you never cooked, eat out every meal, ect than of course it is less. On the other hand if you ate hamburger helper or spaghetti every night with a can of corn than hell yeah it costs more to buy fresh fruits and veggies. It is all your own prospective. I do think that a bag of carrots is a cheaper snack than a bag of chips, but making your own healthy enchiladas is more than buying a throw it in the oven frozen safeway enchiladas. I think this post is very true in some cases, the people who complain are making excuses, but sometimes they are true facts that they do spend more. Lets please be nice though. Some people are getting offended and I don't think that the first post was meant to offend.

We are all in the same boat here. I can't afford food healthy or not, that is why we have credit cards (bad I know, but true for me right now)

I think this is a good post! My tip is to buy food at the flea market, fruit and veggies are very cheap there!

228826.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • czewwhat
    Options
    I think that it depends on how you shopped/eat before MFP that makes the diff if it is less or more expensive. If you never cooked, eat out every meal, ect than of course it is less. On the other hand if you ate hamburger helper or spaghetti every night with a can of corn than hell yeah it costs more to buy fresh fruits and veggies. It is all your own prospective. I do think that a bag of carrots is a cheaper snack than a bag of chips, but making your own healthy enchiladas is more than buying a throw it in the oven frozen safeway enchiladas. I think this post is very true in some cases, the people who complain are making excuses, but sometimes they are true facts that they do spend more. Lets please be nice though. Some people are getting offended and I don't think that the first post was meant to offend.

We are all in the same boat here. I can't afford food healthy or not, that is why we have credit cards (bad I know, but true for me right now)

I think this is a good post! My tip is to buy food at the flea market, fruit and veggies are very cheap there!

228826.png

That is a great Idea! I go to the other side of our town to a Latino market occasionally, they have a huge selection of Produce for great prices, and they make fresh made in the store tortillas too! I love that place! We have a local swap meet every saturday that sells all kinds of produce too!
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

228826.png

That is a great Idea! I go to the other side of our town to a Latino market occasionally, they have a huge selection of Produce for great prices, and they make fresh made in the store tortillas too! I love that place! We have a local swap meet every saturday that sells all kinds of produce too!

I go to Chinatown for some of my produce and ALL of my seafood. They are alot cheaper than the grocery store and it's fresh! I live in Hawaii so all the seafood is brought in and sold on the piers or in Chinatown. Farmers markets are also great (I miss California farmers markets) though we don't have very good ones here...the produce here is a little different than the mainland!

Anyways, I think all major cities has a Chinatown and if you haven't checked it out yet maybe that's an option. :smile:
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am all for a good healthy debate (you should see me on political message boards), and I didn't mean to imply that I think disagreeing is bad. I think it is FABULOUS when people from both sides of the fence with different view points can discuss their ideas...I think everyone involved can learn that way.

I do agree that there are a lot of great suggestions on this thread. :happy:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Phew! I made it to the end........

Here's my take, I have been "low" income and "high" on income and regardless I have ALWAYS made sure that my children had fresh fruit and veggies. Granted, at a lower income their options were limited but many grocery stores and walmart offer a bag of mixed fruit for around 4 bucks. It includes a variety of apples and oranges.

It has not always been easy to do this but I made it a priority. Unfortunately I did not always make myself a priority in an effort to keep my kids healthy which brings me to the now.

I think what is important is that you make the BEST choice possible when it comes to purchasing food for you and or your family. If you can't afford fresh at least get some frozen veggies and fruits. Try to buy the least processed foods you can and as your income increases try to add a little more healthy to your life!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I live in Nova Scotia as well and I think it comes down to what you are willing to spend. I don't find produce to expensive - yes off season can be a little increase in the buget but buying from the frozen section is not cheaper either , you don't know what's really in the food. It's OK to pick foods that you like- you don't have to blame money for the issue rather that is what you want to buy. Healthy eating is about choices.
    I agree stop with the excuses....

I love junk but if I want to be healthier then I have to chose this type of food a whole lot less. Good Luck!

It doesn't come down to what I am WILLING to spend my dear, it comes down to what I can AFFORD to spend.
    My husband was injured in December and is off work and we do NOT have a lot of income right now.
    Forget I said anything at all.....people are so judgemental.

Exactly, what the heck people. There is no reason anyone on here should be commenting in a negative fashion about what anyone said. Period. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on something.

There are people that CAN NOT afford it. Saying it is a choice is true, but sometimes that choice is between paying $2 more for each item or heating the house, paying the mortgage.

We need not to judge someones words without knowing their whole story. Everyone is on here to better themselves, and we aren't here to get knocked down when we say something.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Thank you very much! I was just trying to say that not everything is black and white...there are some grey areas of EACH OTHERS LIVES that we do not know about.
    Geez I guess this is as bad as the great "Jon & Kate debate" lol
  • sassycat
    sassycat Posts: 108
    Options

228826.png

Good point!! (Right now, any kind of food is expensive) I know this thread has me thinking of some different alternatives. (Plus I am growing my own garden this time (I live in town, so I have some produce in buckets---mainly because of my dog). So far so good! I am actually getting some cherry tomatoes and lettuce - almost ready to pick. :happy:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I live in Nova Scotia as well and I think it comes down to what you are willing to spend. I don't find produce to expensive - yes off season can be a little increase in the buget but buying from the frozen section is not cheaper either , you don't know what's really in the food. It's OK to pick foods that you like- you don't have to blame money for the issue rather that is what you want to buy. Healthy eating is about choices.
    I agree stop with the excuses....

I love junk but if I want to be healthier then I have to chose this type of food a whole lot less. Good Luck!

It doesn't come down to what I am WILLING to spend my dear, it comes down to what I can AFFORD to spend.
    My husband was injured in December and is off work and we do NOT have a lot of income right now.
    Forget I said anything at all.....people are so judgemental.

I don't think that they meant to be mean but for most people they can afford the fresh most of the time. I live in Georgia (USA) and I refuse to buy berries unless they are in season. For this reason I have 4 blueberry plants in my yard, a blackberry trellis, and a fig tree, apple tree, and a lemon tree that I bring in during the winter. I know that you're probably unable to grow these plants so far north but if you're able to grow your own it's always more profitable and healthy. I don't use any pesticides on my produce. I also have a small veggie garden going right now with tomatoes, lettuces, radishes, bell peppers, and herbs. When I have extra I take it and sell it at my local farmers market. :flowerforyou:

Fruit trees! I wish!!! I don't even have a yard! I don't even have a windowsill that gets light! Great idea, but what about people who live in an apt? Me, my other half and two tot's live in a small one bedroom. Give me a garden and I'll grow my own fruit! :laugh: