Ladies, do you wear undies when working out?

Options

Replies

• jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I always wore underwear, spandex shorts, then my normal shorts or pants. After a girl on my soccer team told me about how she doesn't wear underwear under her spandex I decided to give it a try...I will never go back! Spandex shorts hold everything in place, and act as a barrier between your lady bits and shorts...and there's no potential for a wedgie.
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I NEVER wear underwear while working out. I couldn't care less about panty lines showing, but why give myself any more opportunities for chafing?? I also couldn't imagine dealing with a wedgie while running. And I only grudgingly wear thongs to begin with so those are not an option either. Going commando is so comfortable! I actually wore undies the other day during a spin workout and was so uncomfortable; I felt restricted and like I had a bajillion clothes on.

I usually wear tights or capris, and they usually have a built-in panty liner thing. I already sweat like crazy everywhere and so wearing undies wouldn't do anything about that. That's why I wipe off any machines/benches/mats I use, but I would do that regardless. But I do feel awkward sometimes when I bare my butt in the locker room. I feel like I'm being judged.
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options

EXACTLY! It's unhygienic and gross. Working out is when you should wear them the most.. urgh. That's the whole reason we even wear underwear people. Didn't your mothers teach you that?

I don't understand this. Wearing cotton next to the sweatiest area ever is not at all hygienic; it holds the sweat next to the body so the funk can happen. At least workout pants (or undies) made from technical material wick the moisture away from the body and attempt to keep the funk-factory dry. But I don't think wearing cotton will make you less sweaty/less stinky/more hygienic.

In the end, it's all about personal preference.

And frankly, I'm there to sweat. If someone is grossed out about my sweat at the gym, they probably shouldn't be there.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    what's the difference between going commando or wearing a thong....both of them don't cover the parts that the "hygiene worriers" are concerned about
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i never go anywhere except around the house without underwear..
    '_' & ladied ... if u are getting a wedgie while running... your underwear are probably too big..
    wear boy shorts ..
    & im with the other ladies.. i wear a liner while working out .. why would u want to walk around in absorbed sweat ? thats just gross a.f
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You are going to get sweat there whether it is in your panties, your shorts or your leggings. I would assume that anybody sweating would shower and change into something clean after....just saying
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Hells yes I do. Just thinking of the friction I get from jogging or running... Those are how crotch fires get started!
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hells yes I do. Just thinking of the friction I get from jogging or running... Those are how crotch fires get started!
    lmfao
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Yes I do...and the thought of others in the gym NOT wearing and then sweating profusely make me EVEN more determined to be sure I wipe down benches BEFORE I use them

Jen :wink:

EXACTLY! It's unhygienic and gross. Working out is when you should wear them the most.. urgh. That's the whole reason we even wear underwear people. Didn't your mothers teach you that?

It would by unhygienic to wear nothing at all. Proper work out attire has built in lining and barriers for this very reason. There is absolutely nothing unhygienic about it. Wearing the appropriate work out gear prevents any issues.

My mother is actually the one who introduced me to the Nike running shorts with built ins and Nike and Under Armor running tights with the lining in the crotch (so that I don't have to wear underwear) :)
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    RIGHT on the snail trail!!! All my sweat seems to run that way no matter what work out I do. So its always black or navy workout pantsand granny panties. I work out in the women's section so thats a plus but you have to walk right out through the mens section to get to the drink machine, stand up tanning beds or the freaking front door. So all they will see is your *kitten*!!!! And who wants to look like they "tinkled" on themselves walking past HOT GUYS!!! How mortifying. Its not bad enough you look like you were attacked by a grizly bear hear sticking out all over your head, red faced, panting heavily and not the reason I would like to be, that you need a wet streak running down your crack and crotch!!! AHAHAHAHA

This isn't panty related but I think you'll get a kick out of it =)http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/487196-so-guys-is-it-true-that-a-sweaty-woman-at-the-gym-is-hot
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Workout: Commando style
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thong unless I'm wearing my running shorts that have built in briefs in them.
  • heidiwithom
    Options
    Yes.. No one wants nasty a*s swass going on down there.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I feel weird if I don't wear undies, and I don't really like thongs regularly.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    And frankly, I'm there to sweat. If someone is grossed out about my sweat at the gym, they probably shouldn't be there.

Exactly :happy:

I have a condition which causes overactive sweat glands but I sure don't let it hold me back from my workout. I push myself, hard, and there's no doubt I probably sweat more than most. Regardless of my workout attire, I sweat through my clothing. As far as underwear, I think it's really just a personal preference. As far as sweating, it's a matter of proper gym etiquette.
    Most of us sweat- the amount is irrelevant. Yes, some of us even leave sweat on the machines. Who cares if women are wearing panties or not. The important issue is that you are comfortable and that we take the proper steps to wipe down/sanitize the machines for the next gym-goer.
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    If I got my running capris/shorts on, then no, but if I got athletic shorts that can ride up when lifting I gotta have something under there :laugh: so I'll wear spandex. I never wear cotton underwear or anything like that to the gym...always the "wick away" stuff
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Nah. hahah
  • letashatastic
    letashatastic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    *raises eyebrow*

That's funny! I was wondering if guys were reading this for the entertainment value! :drinker:
  • angelgutierrez
    Options
    no undies for me
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Cotton panties for me.