The real key to losing weight is Metabolism!!

Options

Replies

• pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It's weird...I've noticed since I've started exercising that my mood has become very positive. But I'm noticing that is not the case for many others haha. Goodness, so much negativity. I thought the post was wonderful!

Agreed.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Wate flushes the toxic for your body .. drink up

No it doesn't. Your liver and kidneys flush toxins out of your body. Water gets digested, just like everything else you eat or drink.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I have to keep quiet or I may get another warning.

Shhhh...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    So much wasted knowledge in this thread. I am losing the will to live.
  • tigersword
    Options
    There have been no scientifically proven benefits to drinking extra water when you're not thirsty.
    There was a study done with two identical twins- one drank the daily reccomended amount of water every day for a month and the other just drank when she was thirsty. At the end of the month there were absolutely no health benefits for the woman who drank the extra water.
    I'm willing to bet a lot of the people who say they started drinking extra water and felt better are experiencing a placebo effect.

Of course if you WANT to drink extra water I'm not saying that you shouldn't- but I just don't understand why a lot of people on MFP preach that its a fact that you should drink a specific amount of water every day.

Article if anyone wants proof/evidence: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

So if this is true why do people end up in the hospital on an iv for dehydration? because they don't feel thirsty and don't drink enough.....thus making what you say not accurate.

I would say 99% of people treated for dehydration are due to catastrophic injuries or serious illnesses. Nobody ends up in the hospital for "forgetting to drink," with the rare exception of some elderly people who have lost the ability to detect thirst.
  • serabee5
    Options
    bump
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Nobody is upset that you're suggesting to eat breakfast or eat often throughout the day. People are upset that you're suggesting that it will do something that has been proven that it does not do.
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100% about high water intake, particularly above 2 litres a day. I do believe 6 to 8 glasses of water is necessary for good health. My experience over 30 years was that apart from whatever liquids i was getting from food I was only drinking maybe a glass of water a day.

Since having 6 to 8 glasses a day my skin is much smoother, not dry and scaly, my eyes are clearer and skin colour is far less sallow. I don't think I'd get any further benefit from doubling my water intake but keeping up my 6 glass minimum a day definitely has benefits.

Men in particular are notorious for avoiding drinking water. Women seem to be so much better at it.
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Bump
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's obvious from all of the furor on this website about eating back exercise calories, drinking lots of water, eating lots of small meals, etc. that you can always find a study to support the theory you believe to be true. I think you have to use common sense, use your intellect to weed through some of the garbage and to understand the science behind metabolism, and keep in tune with what your own body needs. Because it seems to do no good to try to convince those who tout falacies, I will hold my tongue, so I will just congratulate the author on an excellent post!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Re: the water intake.
    I have been drinking the 8 glasses per day, and i have noticed the difference, if nothing else i have noticed the difference in my skin. Even at the age of 47, I still get teenage spots :) but since drinking the water my skin has improved so much. I haven't had a single pimple for a few weeks now.
    It also does help you from eating so much. I have a bottle of water with me all the time, and if i feel peckish and its not time to eat it takes the edge off the hunger. It is a personal choice. and personally i choose to do it :) it works for me.

this
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, it's nice to see some sanity.......
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chriswee2012
    Options
    HI, im eating 1 half boiled egg without egg yolk and mushroom soup in the morning ,for lunch , i will eat RICE and for dinner too i will eat rice but i will cut down the amount of it , RICE is like essential here , is it balanced diet ?
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I have a strict policy of not arguing nutrition with people in better shape than me, esp people 18 years older and in better shape. . . . . . So Good for the OP! Obviously he is doing something right!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have a strict policy of not arguing nutrition with people in better shape than me, esp people 18 years older and in better shape. . . . . . So Good for the OP! Obviously he is doing something right!

That is where broscience comes from. You should pay attention to the results of peer reviewed controlled studies and less attention to peoples individual experiences.
  • dr0p4ah0y
    Options
    HI, im eating 1 half boiled egg without egg yolk and mushroom soup in the morning ,for lunch , i will eat RICE and for dinner too i will eat rice but i will cut down the amount of it , RICE is like essential here , is it balanced diet ?

There is no way that is enough food to sustain you, first of all. Second of all, not so balanced, especially if you eat the same thing every day.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    No one said that it doesn't work. We're just saying that it's broscience and isn't necessary to achieve your weight loss or health goals.

If you want to eat 10 times a day, go for it. It works just as well as eating 2 or 3 times a day.

If you want to eat breakfast, go for it. It doesn't matter if you do or don't. As long as you hit your calorie intake and macros for the day.

If you want to do HIIT cardio training, go for it. Doesn't matter. You can do all the HIIT until you are blue in the face and can't feel your toes, but if your diet is not 100% you will go no where.

Males and Females will benefit more from actually doing some resistance weight training moreso than doing HIIT cardio because of body composition. This is along with eating a calorie deficit or even a surplus if you're bulking.

Do I still need to talk about this or can we put it to rest?
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

That is where broscience comes from. You should pay attention to the results of peer reviewed controlled studies and less attention to peoples individual experiences.

Guess i like broscience then. Call me old fashioned, show me a six pack, tell me how you got it. Good enough for me.
  • tigersword
    Options
    No one said that it doesn't work. We're just saying that it's broscience and isn't necessary to achieve your weight loss or health goals.

If you want to eat 10 times a day, go for it. It works just as well as eating 2 or 3 times a day.

If you want to eat breakfast, go for it. It doesn't matter if you do or don't. As long as you hit your calorie intake and macros for the day.

If you want to do HIIT cardio training, go for it. Doesn't matter. You can do all the HIIT until you are blue in the face and can't feel your toes, but if your diet is not 100% you will go no where.

Males and Females will benefit more from actually doing some resistance weight training moreso than doing HIIT cardio because of body composition. This is along with eating a calorie deficit or even a surplus if you're bulking.

Do I still need to talk about this or can we put it to rest?

This. 100% truth.