Tanning - Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Get the bottle out - stay safe, smell of biscuits and dowse yourself in gorgeous nourishing fantastic smelling moisturisers to set it off and reduce the smell!
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    No way. I love my natural, cancer-free skin.
  • stablesong
    Options
    I'm really pale, freckled, and redheaded. So I don't tan, I just burn if I'm outside for ten minutes. I actually got a second degree sunburn back in August.

My sister just started tanning because her prom dress is a really light pink and she thinks it will look better if she's tan. For me, I just bought a dress that is dark navy, so I'd like some color. I don't know if I'll go tanning like she is, though. I might just try to find a good self-tanner.
  • chrren
    chrren Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Nay for me! I really hate the idea. I love my pale complexion, that's who I am. It would either way look very unatural if I came along with a tan in the middle of winter, seeing as we have polar nights here (for a whole month), meaning the sun doesn't rise at all. In the summer I get a summer glow, but that's only because I love to spend my time outside.
    Who want's to have a higher chance of cancer and be full of wrinkles at 30 anyway?
  • Emmajool
    Options
    I am usually opposed to tanning, but my wonderful husband is taking me to Hawaii in June and I don't want to be blindingly white when I get there, so to the tanning booth I shall go. :o) My avatar pic is inspiration for being in shape and losing more weight - I plan to learn to surf while I am there.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I rock pale.

When I was younger I tanned. Since then I've had 2 cancerous moles that were in places that the sun was unlikely to have caused (bottom of my foot, back of my heel). Just not worth it.
  • abodylikebritneys
    Options
    total YAY
  • daniivdean
    daniivdean Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    pale and interesting... dita von teese :)
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Im a florida girl so I tan usually at the beach. One of my closes friends had skin cancer on her face that had to removed. So this year i will be more protective with sunscreen.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Tanning DOES actually help you lose weight! It increases your serotonin levels and gives you that feel good boost that you need to get up and get going. You feel better about yourself when you have a tan. If you don't believe it, then try it before you judge. It also promotes the production of vitamin D in your body. Most people don't get enough vitamin D which can lead to SADD, osteoporosis and breast cancer. Just sayin!

I think I'd feel better about myself if I don't have skin cancer. I'm pale and somehow have managed to lose weight all by myself...hm.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I know I look great with a tan but I'm scared of getting cancer and of looking like an old leather purse
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    only on holiday, sadly im deficient in Vitamin D, and as such i probably should, but with my best friends grandfather suffering secondary lung cancer from melanoma?

no thanks.

people who use beds are stupid imo.
  • Sophie983
    Sophie983 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    NAY!!!! A big nay! Skin cancer? No thanks. I don't want melanoma and I think that people who do it on a regular bases, should pay higher health insurance (in my country).

I visit my dermatologist every 6 months and HE ALWAYS says that I have to stay away from tanning salons and sun between 11.00 and 15.00.

Tanned skin = damaged skin. That is a medical fact.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    P.S. Just because you don't have skin cancer NOW doesn't mean you won't get it later in life. Not only will you look like you're made from cowhide, but you're more likely to end up with some form of skin cancer, and the older you get, the harder it is for your body to fight it off. Just a heads up. :)
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOT, nothing good about it.........there's enuf info out there to know it's no good! It's only a temporary nice look, spots in your 40's, old skin, dry, cancer? No thanks!
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Please explain how it helps you stay within your calorie limit. Maybe I'm a sceptic, but this doesn't sound possible

posted under chit chat fun and games...... not up tight calorie counters needed :)
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    No thank you!!

I know lots of older women who have spent most of their adult life tanning and they all look like leather now....no thanks!

Not to mention most people over do tanning and look ridiculous. Being a dark brownish orange isn't natural and you aren't fooling anyone.
  • Lambiii
    Lambiii Posts: 321
    Options
    Nope! I like my skin tone :)
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    love it, though I normally cover my face (wrinkles) and I don't do it often.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It's one of my bad habits............but I have stopped going 6 days a week and only go about 3, year round................ Coffee and wine are my other 2, gave up smoking 6 months ago..............Winter time here in PA kinda depresses you so tanning helps....:bigsmile: I need to move to Florida!!