Questions For Married Folks (For A Class - Help Appreciated)

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    I met my husband when I was 15 (almost 16) and he had just turned 18. After a little over one year I was engaged @17, married a year later @18 and that was in 1979! We have been together for 35 years, married 33. Well, almost 33... I think! :laugh: After this long, who's counting?
  • AshleyNicole8686
    AshleyNicole8686 Posts: 103 Member
    HI!
    We were engaged when I was 19 he was 23 after dating 1.5 years. We married when I was 20 he was 24. We've been together 8 years now :).
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    I was seventeen when I got together with my ex, engaged at 20 married at 21 and divorced at 26. It sounds so very simple when I put it together that way.
  • Okay. I met my husband when I was 18. We moved in together six months later. Seven years after that, at age 25, we got engaged. We had the wedding when I was 26, so even though I have been with my husband for over eleven years we are still considered newly weds. ;)
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    How old were you when you got engaged? How long had you been together before getting engaged? How old were you when you got married? Are you still together (if so, for how long)? Doing some informal research for a class - answers appreciated!

We didn't have an "engagement" period per se. We met at the age of 17 when working together at the same place. We started dating at 19, had our first son at 23 and moved in together. We then lived together until deciding to get married at the age of 28. So, in total we were together for 9 years before getting married officially (we've been married for almost 4 years now).

During our 13 years together, we have been through college graduations for both of us (different schools), the birth of our 2 sons (1 being a preemie), 2 miscarriages, moving to and living in 4 different states (due to job transfers) and much more.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Ah, well...no point in being embarrassed by it now.

I knew my husband 6 weeks when we married in 1985. I was 18, he was 19. No engagement, really. On a Sunday, he said "So, we gonna get married, or what?" On Monday, we got married.

Two kids and 2 years later, we divorced. We reconciled after 4 months; remarried a year later.

Two more kids within 2 years, then divorced again in 1994, after 6 years.

Another reconciliation 6 months later. We lived together, but didn't remarry again until 2001.

We finally got it right, I think. We celebrate our "original" anniversary and will have been married 27 years this summer.
  • 1. I was 26 years old and she was 22 years old when we got engaged
    2. 4 months we've been together before becoming engaged
    3. I'm 27 and she was 23 when we got married
    4. We're still together for 12 years now and still getting stronger

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • drl041799
    drl041799 Posts: 17 Member
    Engaged at 28; we had met exactly 1 year before. Married at 28; celebrating 13 wonderful years this Spring.
  • bluemoose7
    bluemoose7 Posts: 2 Member
    I've been married twice, so I'm not sure which info you will want to use, or you might be able to use both.

1st Marriage
    Age Engaged: 26
    Length together before engagement: 3 years
    Age Married: 26
    Length of marriage: 4 years

2nd Marriage
    Age Engaged: 31
    Length together before engagement: 9 months
    Age Married: 32
    Length of marriage: Still married - 12 years and counting :-)
  • Devon_Bates
    Devon_Bates Posts: 17 Member
    I met my husband in 2005 I was 16 and he was 17, started dating Dec. 2 2005. 1 yr dating 1.5 yrs engaged. got married in 2008 3 months after my 18th birthday (he was 19). This May will be our 4 yr. anniversary. I am 22 and he will be almost 24. had 3 pregnancies, 2 miscarriages and 1 stillborn so still no children yet.
  • mlwilson01
    mlwilson01 Posts: 8 Member
    24 when engaged, 25 when married. Still together, dated for 4 yrs before getting married. he is 2 years older then me.
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    My husband & I have been together since 2000 (I was 16yrs, he was 17yrs).
    We were together 7yrs before we got engaged.
    I was 22yrs when we got engaged in 2006.
    I was 23yrs when we got married in 2007.
    We have been together almost 12yrs now (I'm 28yrs, he's 29yrs).
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Met: I was 15 1/2 he was 16 1/2 (92)
    Asked me to marry him when I was 16 (the first time)
    for financial reasons we got married when I was 21

Still married
  • krista010105
    krista010105 Posts: 149 Member
    How old were you when you got engaged?18

How long had you been together before getting engaged? 1 year 3 months

How old were you when you got married?19

Are you still together (if so, for how long) together for 7 years
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Engaged at 24 after a year, married at 28, this year it will be 20 years married! Yippee!! Still going strong.
  • We knew each other since we were babies - our dads worked together and when his mum got pregnant with him, his dad told my dad as soon as she told him!!! I was just 20 when he proposed (he was 22) and it completely blew my socks off. had known him all my life and just had no idea when he'd fallen for me or that he even had!! I turned him down and to cut a long story short, a year later I proposed to him, we were married 6 weeks after that. It's been 11 years and we have three children, we are still very much in love and in this for life:-)
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    I was 22 when I became engaged. We had only known each other for about 6 months, but I knew he was the one. We were married when I was 23 and he was 24. We will have been married for 40 years on May 5, 2012. I told you he was the one. :)
  • jenbooks
    jenbooks Posts: 55 Member
    How old were you when you got engaged? How long had you been together before getting engaged? How old were you when you got married? Are you still together (if so, for how long)? Doing some informal research for a class - answers appreciated!

Let's see. I "met" Rob late 1998 on the Usenet newsgroup dfw.singles. We met in person at a newsgroup New Year's Eve party, then again at a party in late January. Went out on a date 2/6/1999 and have been together ever since.

First date: Feb. 1999 - I was 32, he was 27
    Engaged: Jan 1 2000 - I was almost 33, he was 28
    Married: Apr 29 2001 - I was 34, he was 29

We moved in together some time in May 99 I think, and had been together for 11 months I guess when we got engaged. But we had known for a while that this was going to be it.

So, we've been together for 13 years, and married for 11. :love:
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    We met at the end of March 1997, had our first date 1st April 1997, married 4th October 1997 (I was 22, he was 26 and we had known each other a little over 6 months).

3 children and 15 years later and we are still together and probably happier now than we have ever been.
  • I was 28 when I met him, he was 42. We married 2 years later after a 6 month engagement. We will celebrate our 24th anniversary this year.