A different way to set up MFP goals - that WORKS!

Options

Replies

• hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    Actually, I found that the math wasn't really necessary. Calculate your numbers as Olivia outlined (which you already did), and pay attention to a few numbers at the end of the day. Here's how I see your scenario:

First, you go to goals, and list your new calorie goal/day as 1620. Since you set your activity up as sedentary (as I did also, since I have a desk job), you need to enter your exercise for the day into MFP for this to work.

Now the few things to pay attention to: 1) You want to eat at or above your BMR every day, so maybe start with an "eating goal" of 1400/day. This is regardless of how much exercise you did or didn't do. Just memorize 1400, and eat at least that much.
    2) Next number that could be important if you exercise a lot on some given day is shown on your daily summary as "=net". At the end of the day, after you have logged your exercise, you want that number to be ABOVE 1000. If it is not, keep eating until it is. A number below 1000 is a too high/not safe deficit.

Now here's the fun part for me: The green number on your daily summary at the end of the day gives you a really good idea of how many calories you "saved" toward weight loss for that day. A green number of 250 would translate to a weight loss of 1/2lb loss/week if you had that number every day. 500 would translate to 1 lb loss/week, etc. If you want to do a weekly avg, you could look at your weekly "calories remaining" and divide by 7.

I think the hardest mindset I had to break on this system is that the words "calories remaining" no longer mean what I can still eat that day, but rather what I have "saved" by not eating to my current maintenance. My deficits are smaller now, but with the built-in safety nets (eat at or a bit above your BMR, and don't let "=net" go below 1000), I no longer worry about whether I am eating too little, exercising too much, etc.

This is what I've done, it's nice and simple.

I am going to try this. It makes most sense to me. My BMR is 1682. I shouldn't have to enter too many exercises manually since I wear my Fitbit. The ultimate goal is to be green min 500 - max 1000 per day. Correct?
  • dg2kids
    Options
    :smile:
  • smcesko
    smcesko Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks for sharing!
  • angie_04
    angie_04 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    bump until I have time to get my "math" hat on! Thanks
  • clairibou1
    clairibou1 Posts: 124
    Options
    bump
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *BUMP*
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Save for later.....bump :laugh:
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    bump
  • valwes04
    valwes04 Posts: 58
    Options
    Bump! Saving the location so I can come back and look more into this!
    Thanks!
  • daniivdean
    daniivdean Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • charliesmagic
    Options
    Bump to work out the details for me later. Thanks for the post! :smile:
  • roadworthy
    roadworthy Posts: 130
    Options
    I am glad to know that I am not the only one not following along as well...

My BMR is 1734

My TDEE is 2075

So I am to eat 1734 everyday and set my MFP goal to maintain and then with exercise have a deficit of 1000 or less? Am I close or way off here? LOL
  • Bdde
    Bdde Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump! looks like a post that i will have to print out and then follow it! sorry I'm a bit slow
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused as well.

So my BMR is 1389 and if I don't work out at all my maintenance would be 1667 since I have a desk job. What would I set my daily calorie goal too?

I usually run 4xs per week and burn at least 300 to 500 calories depending on my run. Do I need to NET 1389 per day then? That's pretty much what I'm set at already on MFP to lose 0.5 pounds per week.
  • hpetzold77
    Options
    Bump... :smile:
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump to finish reading later.