Government recognizing Gay and Lesbian

Options

Replies

• paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I think if we dropped the marriage part and just called it union or something like that all the fuzz would go away

Marriage is pretty much a religious term between a man & a woman, so yeah I agree with you.
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I think its funny how lots of people think Gays getting married destroys the sanctity of marriage...but its OK for Kim K to divorce after what ...60 days..and same with Brittney Spears.

THANK GOODNESS SOME ONE SAID THAT!!! That, that up their, is exactly what screws up the sanctity of marriage. I am not taking about people who are married for lets say 5 years and end up divorced. I am talking people who are married for a year or less... WTH is that?

I could care less if you are Gay, Strait, Lesbian, Bisexual. Purple, Green or flipping Blue. This law has bugged me for a LONG time. Let people marry who they want to marry. Leave them the heck a lone and let them live. It's not like we have to watch it. If you don't like it, don't frikken look.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Cool Im gonna marry my dogs so my insurance will pay for their vet bills, Those Vet bills get pricey

There is a lot of truth in this statement.

There needs to be a line somewhere. Marriage was designed for families, and for a man and woman to enter into a life together-not so they can get extra benefits.

I don't care if someone is gay or not, that's their choice. I do think homosexuals should have visitation rights and all that stuff regarding hospitals. But I don't believe the meaning and reason behind an important societal building block should be changed because a group has political backing.

but--what about all the heterosexual couples who marry without any intention of having children?? marriage isn't simply for breeding.

Thank you. I am 40, married for 18 years to the same guy, we have no children, nor intend to. Should my marriage not be legal??
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    2 gays in a committed relationship should be allowed to get married...........its the wording, esp for benefits.
    when one partner dies, the other cant get his 1/2 for his Social Security. Also, gays , if I remember reading this recently, are denied over 300 rights, legal rights, that hetrosexuals arent. Lots of legal questions esp if case of death, children and medical issues that arise..........I dont know if it's changes, but the partner has been denied access in a hospital enviornment in a decision making process for the others half.........the one isn't included in this process.......

if one partner dies with out a will, the entire estate goes to the family ,and the surviving partner has no legal rights to his partners estate......

I think the Federal Govt allows states to vote , and some governors may veto this ,ie, Gov Chris of New Jersey and allow it to be voted by its citizen voters

Good question though..........gays and lesbians who are in a relationship and chose to bond should be allowed to be married,
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Cool Im gonna marry my dogs so my insurance will pay for their vet bills, Those Vet bills get pricey

There needs to be a line somewhere. Marriage was designed for families, and for a man and woman to enter into a life together-not so they can get extra benefits.

I don't care if someone is gay or not, that's their choice. I do think homosexuals should have visitation rights and all that stuff regarding hospitals. But I don't believe the meaning and reason behind an important societal building block should be changed because a group has political backing.

but--what about all the heterosexual couples who marry without any intention of having children?? marriage isn't simply for breeding.

Thank you. I am 40, married for 18 years to the same guy, we have no children, nor intend to. Should my marriage not be legal??

Of course it's not all about breeding, but it also shouldn't be based on what kind of sex you have either.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think if we dropped the marriage part and just called it union or something like that all the fuzz would go away

Marriage is pretty much a religious term between a man & a woman, so yeah I agree with you.

So...straight couples who get married at City Hall shouldn't be considered married...?
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should throw the abortion issue in here too..

I see a lock coming in 3.....2.....1....
  • Italianyc84
    Options

Of course it's not all about breeding, but it also shouldn't be based on what kind of sex you have either.

Right. So...why shouldn't my marriage to my wife be legal?
  • Italianyc84
    Options
    I believe you should have the same rights gay or straight.

Because my hubby and I had a child out of wedlock....yes we did the evil deed of sex before marriage, the church would NOT marry us, so I stopped going.....I don't think anyone, any church has any right to say who should be married and who shouldn't.

Exactly. If a church wants to lay down their own rules than so be it, but what right does a church have to dictate what the federal government does??? There's supposed to be a seperation of church and state!
  • paigemarie93
    Options

So...straight couples who get married at City Hall shouldn't be considered married...?

No, because that's still a marriage (man & woman), the term marriage originates from the bible & the bible says that being gay is an abomination to God, so I don't think it should be called marriage if you understand my reasoning?
  • Italianyc84
    Options
    Agree with the OP.

If straight couples didn't keep having gay babies the problem wouldn't exist. Its completely natural.

There are so many shades of grey in this life. Live and let live.

As for god, we all know about Lilith, Eve and Adam etc, so if its anyones fault, its god for making the partnership unequal rather than leaving it balanced :wink:

Where has it been proven that it's genetic?

And where has it been proven that it's any of your business regardless of whether it's genetic or not? Either way equality must prevail.

(for the record, in the words of Lady Gaga, I strongly believe that I was Born This Way!)
  • Italianyc84
    Options

No, because that's still a marriage (man & woman), the term marriage originates from the bible & the bible says that being gay is an abomination to God, so I don't think it should be called marriage if you understand my reasoning?

So, should an athiest heterosexual couple still be considered married? And why should the bible dictate what rights I am allowed by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, in a nation where church and state are (allegedly!) seperate?
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I went to a Lesbian site that answered the legal benefits of marriage for gays/lesbians...'

it says about 1300 rights denied, so I apologize for my mistake......

here are 20 so far.......

4.Right to make a decision about the disposal of loved ones remains
    5.Immigration and residency for partners from other countries
    6.Crime victims recovery benefits
    7.Domestic violence protection orders
    8.Judicial protections and immunity
    9.Automatic inheritance in the absence of a will
    10.Public safety officers death benefits
    11.Spousal veterans benefits
    12.Social Security
    13.Medicare
    14.Joint filing of tax returns
    15.Wrongful death benefits for surviving partner and children
    16.Bereavement or sick leave to care for partner or children
    17.Child support
    18.Joint Insurance Plans
    19.Tax credits including: Child tax credit, Hope and lifetime learning credits
    20.Deferred Compensation for pension and IRAs
    21.Estate and gift tax benefits
    22.Welfare and public assistance
    23.Joint housing for elderly
    24.Credit protection
    25.Medical care for survivors and dependents of certain veterans

http://lesbianlife.about.com/od/wedding/f/MarriageBenefit.htm

I can understand the frustration they must feel, no ones a 2nd class citizen if were all to be " equal" Let them marry........Lloyd
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Apparently later children born into bigger families are much more likely to be gay. I think it's a natural population control thing in action.

Anyway, I don't care who marries or sleeps with who as long as it's mutually consented to and not incestuous. Each to their own. Why anyone cares enough about anyone else's private lives to try to dictate them is beyond me. Over here in the UK gay marriage has been accepted in law for years, if not by the church.
  • paigemarie93
    Options

So, should an athiest heterosexual couple still be considered married? And why should the bible dictate what rights I am allowed by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, in a nation where church and state are (allegedly!) seperate?

Yes, because like I said it's a man & a woman.
    Okay, I'll say it again, Marriage is a religious word meaning that a man & woman are one flesh (married)
    You can't apply a religious word to something that the bible doesn't agree with.
    It should have another name but still mean 'Marriage' just (man & man/ woman & woman) & that word will be for gays & lesbians solely.
  • Italianyc84
    Options
    I went to a Lesbian site that answered the legal benefits of marriage for gays/lesbians...'

it says about 1300 rights denied, so I apologize for my mistake......

here are 20 so far.......

4.Right to make a decision about the disposal of loved ones remains
    5.Immigration and residency for partners from other countries
    6.Crime victims recovery benefits
    7.Domestic violence protection orders
    8.Judicial protections and immunity
    9.Automatic inheritance in the absence of a will
    10.Public safety officers death benefits
    11.Spousal veterans benefits
    12.Social Security
    13.Medicare
    14.Joint filing of tax returns
    15.Wrongful death benefits for surviving partner and children
    16.Bereavement or sick leave to care for partner or children
    17.Child support
    18.Joint Insurance Plans
    19.Tax credits including: Child tax credit, Hope and lifetime learning credits
    20.Deferred Compensation for pension and IRAs
    21.Estate and gift tax benefits
    22.Welfare and public assistance
    23.Joint housing for elderly
    24.Credit protection
    25.Medical care for survivors and dependents of certain veterans

http://lesbianlife.about.com/od/wedding/f/MarriageBenefit.htm

I can understand the frustration they must feel, no ones a 2nd class citizen if were all to be " equal" Let them marry........Lloyd

Thank you for posting this--as you can see, it goes WAY beyond visitation rights at a hospital!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is, if you're all mad about same sex marriage then blame all us straight people. We're the ones who keep having gay babies.
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    what does this have to do with fitness or weightloss
  • Italianyc84
    Options

it doesn't. You are on the chit-chat, fun and games board. This is as relevant of a topic here as the "what celebrity do I look like" thread.
  • paigemarie93
    Options

^ this. It's just going to cause arguments.