Government recognizing Gay and Lesbian

Options

Replies

• angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think if we dropped the marriage part and just called it union or something like that all the fuzz would go away

Marriage is pretty much a religious term between a man & a woman, so yeah I agree with you.

So...straight couples who get married at City Hall shouldn't be considered married...?

No, because that's still a marriage (man & woman), the term marriage originates from the bible & the bible says that being gay is an abomination to God, so I don't think it should be called marriage if you understand my reasoning?

christians did not invent marriage

Even before the term marriage was coined, it was still man & woman tied together in a ceremony, then the word marriage was applied to that.

This is absolutely not true at all. All societies, long before Christianity came around, celebrated and condoned marriage, both heterosexual and homosexual. It was considered perfectly normal and acceptable, thousands of years ago.

Not all societies celebrated it.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think if we dropped the marriage part and just called it union or something like that all the fuzz would go away

Not unless you "call it union or something like that" for straight people too! If the word used is marriage for two people of opposite genders, it needs to be marriage for two people of the same gender as well. Separate but equal wasn't good enough for people of color, and it's not good enough for us. We are not going to accept "something like marriage" unless you do too!

Since when were gay people ever viewed as 2/3 human? Drawing a link between homosexual rights movement and the civil rights movement is a slap in the face to everyone involved.

Well, considering this country gives me roughly 2/3 of the rights of straight people, I'd say that's fairly accurate.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I

Even before the term marriage was coined, it was still man & woman tied together in a ceremony, then the word marriage was applied to that.
    [/quote]

This is absolutely not true at all. All societies, long before Christianity came around, celebrated and condoned marriage, both heterosexual and homosexual. It was considered perfectly normal and acceptable, thousands of years ago.
    [/quote]

Thousands of years ago...there were Christians. Marriage is only Marriage because the Bible says so.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    My fear of governments recognizing this type of marriage which is completely fine in and of itself but I can see people wanting to push the line further. Let men and women marry under aged or marry their pets or marry their parents or something. Those people have rights just like straight people, bi people, gay/lesbian, and whatever else there is. So the envelope keeps getting pushed as we are constantly seeking fairness in all things. It's always changing and being modified which is nice that we have that opportunity but holy crap! It could go upside down.:noway:
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Agree with the OP.

If straight couples didn't keep having gay babies the problem wouldn't exist. Its completely natural.

There are so many shades of grey in this life. Live and let live.

As for god, we all know about Lilith, Eve and Adam etc, so if its anyones fault, its god for making the partnership unequal rather than leaving it balanced :wink:

Where has it been proven that it's genetic?

And where has it been proven that it's any of your business regardless of whether it's genetic or not? Either way equality must prevail.

(for the record, in the words of Lady Gaga, I strongly believe that I was Born This Way!)

Okay, so you say you were born that way...like all of you do. Even a woman I know who swore that she was born that way....who after she had been married to a man for over a decade was with women for as many years. Funny though, she just married a man again a few months ago.

God does not create a person with homosexual desires. The Bible tells us that a person becomes a homosexual because of sin (Romans 1:24-27), and ultimately because of their OWN CHOICE. A person may be born with a greater susceptibility to homosexuality, just as people are born with a tendency to violence and other sins.

That does NOT excuse the person choosing to sin by giving into their sinful desires. If a person is born with a greater susceptibility to anger / rage, does that make it right for them to give into those desires? Of course not! The same is true for homosexuality.

That is what the fight is about. That is why true Christians oppose this. That and b/c it's being taught in school that it is normal and okay when really the foundation of this country was built on the principles that say otherwise. Tollerance...that's okay. But that's where it should end.

If you don't believe in God...Okay. But please don't say that God made you this way. If you plan on going to Heaven when you die, then get back on the straight and narrow. If you think that you go nowhere when you die, then there is no sense in talking about it.

It all boils down to what is moral and what if anything will happen as a result of your decision. I could give a crap if you marry the same sex, but leave it out of the schools.

sorry, God made me gay! As for the lady who said she was gay but ended up marrying a man--um, good for her? I know plenty of people who thought they were straight and ended up in a same sex relationship later in life. See, I don't really care what other people do. I don't care if other people feel they were born gay or chose to be gay. To me, it doesn't matter. I don't care what two consenting adults do.

All I want are EQUAL RIGHTS. The bible SHOULD NOT dictate the laws of a country. I'm not asking to be married in a church or by a priest, etc.

And for the record, the bible also says that cutting your hair is a sin, that woman are not equal to men and that wearing synthetic fabrics is immoral. So do you just pick and choose what parts of the bible are convenient for you to follow? What about divorce? The bible is pretty clear on that...yet look how many of your leaders end up divorced, married multiple times and with mistresses...

It's just none of your business. It doesn't effect your religion. If you don't agree with same sex marriage, then keep on marrying people of the opposite sex. I think sex with men is ICKY, but I'm not trying to convert you!

The Bible dictates whether or not we vote to allow it. And for the record, trying to quote the Bible without the education is a real pet peeve. Old Testament law is quite different since blood was shed for our sins. I disobey the Bible many times every day because I'm human....not as perfect as you think...but to answer your question I do not pick and choose what parts are convenient to follow...unlike most "Christians". That is why my stance is clear on this.

And trying to meddle into something that doesn't even remotely effect you and your religion is a pet peeve of mine. So stop trying to understand how I was born gay, and I'll stop trying to the understand what the heck you're talking about.
  • ka_bateman
    Options

Not unless you "call it union or something like that" for straight people too! If the word used is marriage for two people of opposite genders, it needs to be marriage for two people of the same gender as well. Separate but equal wasn't good enough for people of color, and it's not good enough for us. We are not going to accept "something like marriage" unless you do too!

Since when were gay people ever viewed as 2/3 human? Drawing a link between homosexual rights movement and the civil rights movement is a slap in the face to everyone involved.

Well, considering this country gives me roughly 2/3 of the rights of straight people, I'd say that's fairly accurate.

See that's not true. You have the same rights. What you want is more rights.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    My fear of governments recognizing this type of marriage which is completely fine in and of itself but I can see people wanting to push the line further. Let men and women marry under aged or marry their pets or marry their parents or something. Those people have rights just like straight people, bi people, gay/lesbian, and whatever else there is. So the envelope keeps getting pushed as we are constantly seeking fairness in all things. It's always changing and being modified which is nice that we have that opportunity but holy crap! It could go upside down.:noway:

Children are not consenting adults.
    Pets are not consenting adults.
    Not everything is a slippery slope.
  • mikeandfox
    Options
    Thousands of years ago...there were Christians. Marriage is only Marriage because the Bible says so.

LMAO! Are you serious?
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    I

[/quote]

[/quote]

Humans were getting married long before Christianity or even Judeic faiths came into existence.
  • mikeandfox
    Options

Thank you!
  • ka_bateman
    Options
    Agree with the OP.

If straight couples didn't keep having gay babies the problem wouldn't exist. Its completely natural.

There are so many shades of grey in this life. Live and let live.

As for god, we all know about Lilith, Eve and Adam etc, so if its anyones fault, its god for making the partnership unequal rather than leaving it balanced :wink:

And where has it been proven that it's any of your business regardless of whether it's genetic or not? Either way equality must prevail.

(for the record, in the words of Lady Gaga, I strongly believe that I was Born This Way!)

Okay, so you say you were born that way...like all of you do. Even a woman I know who swore that she was born that way....who after she had been married to a man for over a decade was with women for as many years. Funny though, she just married a man again a few months ago.

God does not create a person with homosexual desires. The Bible tells us that a person becomes a homosexual because of sin (Romans 1:24-27), and ultimately because of their OWN CHOICE. A person may be born with a greater susceptibility to homosexuality, just as people are born with a tendency to violence and other sins.

That does NOT excuse the person choosing to sin by giving into their sinful desires. If a person is born with a greater susceptibility to anger / rage, does that make it right for them to give into those desires? Of course not! The same is true for homosexuality.

That is what the fight is about. That is why true Christians oppose this. That and b/c it's being taught in school that it is normal and okay when really the foundation of this country was built on the principles that say otherwise. Tollerance...that's okay. But that's where it should end.

If you don't believe in God...Okay. But please don't say that God made you this way. If you plan on going to Heaven when you die, then get back on the straight and narrow. If you think that you go nowhere when you die, then there is no sense in talking about it.

It all boils down to what is moral and what if anything will happen as a result of your decision. I could give a crap if you marry the same sex, but leave it out of the schools.

sorry, God made me gay! As for the lady who said she was gay but ended up marrying a man--um, good for her? I know plenty of people who thought they were straight and ended up in a same sex relationship later in life. See, I don't really care what other people do. I don't care if other people feel they were born gay or chose to be gay. To me, it doesn't matter. I don't care what two consenting adults do.

All I want are EQUAL RIGHTS. The bible SHOULD NOT dictate the laws of a country. I'm not asking to be married in a church or by a priest, etc.

And for the record, the bible also says that cutting your hair is a sin, that woman are not equal to men and that wearing synthetic fabrics is immoral. So do you just pick and choose what parts of the bible are convenient for you to follow? What about divorce? The bible is pretty clear on that...yet look how many of your leaders end up divorced, married multiple times and with mistresses...

It's just none of your business. It doesn't effect your religion. If you don't agree with same sex marriage, then keep on marrying people of the opposite sex. I think sex with men is ICKY, but I'm not trying to convert you!

The Bible dictates whether or not we vote to allow it. And for the record, trying to quote the Bible without the education is a real pet peeve. Old Testament law is quite different since blood was shed for our sins. I disobey the Bible many times every day because I'm human....not as perfect as you think...but to answer your question I do not pick and choose what parts are convenient to follow...unlike most "Christians". That is why my stance is clear on this.

And trying to meddle into something that doesn't even remotely effect you and your religion is a pet peeve of mine. So stop trying to understand how I was born gay, and I'll stop trying to the understand what the heck you're talking about.

Haha, what meddling? Responding to a forum? I'm not trying to understand anything, I know this already. But if you are a Christian, you might try a little harder to understand. If you aren't...well, I'll just knock the dust off my feet and move on.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

See that's not true. You have the same rights. What you want is more rights.

FROM LLOYD.............All she is asking for is " equal" rights, not special rights...........
  • ka_bateman
    Options

Thank you!

What about brothers and sisters...Dads are consenting. where does it end? And don't tell me that it's not okay, b/c incest people should have the same rights as everyone else.
  • mikeandfox
    Options

From the evidence I have been able to gather, it is a case of nature and nurture.

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1994-44971-001

Not to mention the close to 1.5k species that have displayed homosexual activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

Animals also inbreed amongst other things, so that's a terrible example, I was just waiting for this to pop up.

And so do humans. The two are unrelated.

Homosexuality harms no one not involved.

Incest harms future generations.

Perfectly valid.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Marriage has been around for a few thousand years longer than the Bible and Christianity.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

From the evidence I have been able to gather, it is a case of nature and nurture.

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1994-44971-001

Not to mention the close to 1.5k species that have displayed homosexual activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

Animals also inbreed amongst other things, so that's a terrible example, I was just waiting for this to pop up.

And some eat their young. I love it when people bring animals into this discussion. Since when did animals develop the level of reason that humans have. And when did they establish themselves as an equal species?
  • mikeandfox
    Options

Thank you!

What about brothers and sisters...Dads are consenting. where does it end? And don't tell me that it's not okay, b/c incest people should have the same rights as everyone else.

See above. Incest is harmful because of the offspring. Homosexuals produce no offspring. No harm done.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Straw man argument.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options

Thank you!

I'll tell you that if it ticks you off ;)
    The issue that many people have with brothers and sisters is the problem with messing up the genes, and the taboo around it. Should we have a problem if they never plan to have children? I don't think we should, they are consenting adults.