Government recognizing Gay and Lesbian

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

AMEN!!!! I am happy to live in MA where we "allow" people to marry the person whom they love! I wish the rest of the country would catch on!!! I'm straight but have had many gay friends. Love is love. Plain and simple. Love makes people happy. Happiness is one of those three things mentioned by our country's forefathers, wasn't it??

I could hug you right now!!!!! Glad to meet another MA person. :)
  • iamthevieve
    Options

My marriage license was not fancy. It looked like it was made in MS Word. Here in MA gay couples do have the same rights as straight couples. Because gay and straight couples can legally marry in Mass.

Then your state would be an exclusion to my example. And a marriage license is fancy if you can't get one like in most states, including mine. Also, if a married gay couple came to my state and one got sick, the other would have no say in their care because it's illegal here.

Gay or straight I'm telling you I would not want to live in a state that did not count gay married couples as legally married with the same rights. I just don't want to be part of a town/city/state and pay taxes into a system that does not treat married couples (gay or straight) the same. The fact that gay marriage is not legal in all states in the US is just a clear view of how f-ed up this country is. Why is my state the only one in the whole USA with universal health care?? Same reason. We believe that everyone has a right to the same things, poor or not poor. Gay or straight.

I agree, but I'm trying to help things in my state (South Dakota) change so that gay marriage will one day be legal here. I realize that this will be one of the last states to legalize gay marriage and will probably only legalize it while being dragged by their ears by good ol' Uncle Sam, but that won't stop me from trying to chang my backwards, redneck state.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Agree a million percent. We all deserve equality--gay, straight, black, white, rich or poor.

That's why I live here. Here in MA if you own a small business you can afford health insurance for your employees. You can't fire an employee for being gay. It's not all puppies and rainbows (we have our trouble too) but I'm proud to live somewhere where gays are equals in court, in employee benefits, in the workplace, when buying a home...the list goes on and on.
  • Onesnap
    Options

I agree, but I'm trying to help things in my state (South Dakota) change so that gay marriage will one day be legal here. I realize that this will be one of the last states to legalize gay marriage and will probably only legalize it while being dragged by their ears by good ol' Uncle Sam, but that won't stop me from trying to chang my backwards, redneck state.

Good for you. Chin up! I hang out with a lot of rednecks btw who 100% support gay marriage.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    [I agree, but I'm trying to help things in my state (South Dakota) change so that gay marriage will one day be legal here. I realize that this will be one of the last states to legalize gay marriage and will probably only legalize it while being dragged by their ears by good ol' Uncle Sam, but that won't stop me from trying to chang my backwards, redneck state.

Thanks for fighting the good fight. It's great to know there are people working toward equality even in smaller population states!
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    Good for you. Chin up! I hang out with a lot of rednecks btw who 100% support gay marriage.

Maybe I should've said "trailer trash". This is coming from a girl who just moved out of a trailer in October. :)
  • treetop57
    Options

That's why I live here. Here in MA if you own a small business you can afford health insurance for your employees. You can't fire an employee for being gay. It's not all puppies and rainbows (we have our trouble too) but I'm proud to live somewhere where gays are equals in court, in employee benefits, in the workplace, when buying a home...the list goes on and on.

Unfortunately, even in the states with same-sex marriage, folks are not quite equal because the Federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) prevents the federal government from giving equal benefits.
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    In NC at the university I go to, we have preachers that come on campus and literally yell at people for being homosexual and tell them how they are going to Hell. They say the Bible should be the only law of the US and should have penalties if not obeyed. It's sad that in 2012 we are being held back by people like this who think its some heinous act.

While I'm not homosexual I believe everyone should have the opportunity to be married. I'm a member of the LGBTQ club (the straight alliance president actually lol). I hope that in my lifetime it will be legal throughout the US.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Unfortunately, even in the states with same-sex marriage, folks are not quite equal because the Federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) prevents the federal government from giving equal benefits.

TRUE. But at least they have more rights than other states in the Union.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think if we dropped the marriage part and just called it union or something like that all the fuzz would go away

I am going to try to defend the Christian viewpoint and then give my personal opinion.

According to the Bible, homosexuality is listed as a sin, (so are a whole bunch of other sins!)

“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived, neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9-11)

When that verse is preached in the pulpit, the pastor always talks about the other sins as well...fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, homosexuals, sodomites, thieves, covetous, drunkards, revilers, extortioners...Don't we all fall into one of these categories?? This verse is to show us...that none of us deserve to enter God's Kingdom...NONE OF US!

This is why most Christians are against homosexual marriage. NOW, here is my defense of Christians....since I am one and most of my friends are Christians, I can tell you that this is not a fighting issue for most of us. Yes, we think that "marriage" should be a man and a woman, but there are other issues out there that are much more important to us. The media LOVES to make conservatives look like hateful, judgmental, backwoods idiots. They love to fuel the fire...for example, birth control. The whole issue is, does the state have the right to tell a religious organization that they have to provide something that is against their religious beliefs. But, the media is spinning it to make it look like religious organizations do not want women to have access to birth control! Now conservatives are made to look like we hate women and do not want them to have access to healthcare!! Crazy and not true at all! (I am not Catholic by the way)

Most Christians are not homophobic. That would mean that we are afraid of homosexuals, not true. Christians are labeled as ignorant. Just because someone disagrees with you, are they really ignorant? Can't we all have different opinions and still keep our intelligence? Christians are labeled as judgmental...but aren't we all to some extent? When you watch Jersey Shore and you see those girls go home with The Situation...what do you think about that girl?

And to those that say that they have been treated like a second class citizen by Christians because they are gay, then that Christian was wrong to do that. And I know these type of Christians...and trust me, they treat everyone that way!!

My personal viewpoint...since I lean more towards the Libertarian viewpoint. I would approve of civil unions. I think if a couple shares their life together, they should have the same legal rights as my husband and I do. BUT, I also think that polygamist should be allowed civil unions as well (I am not Mormon either) Who are we to say that a man can not have more than 1 wife? As long as all of the women approve and know about each other and non are underage, then they should be allowed civil unions as well. And just because I would not do certain activities, I think that certain activities should be legal.

I would like to say that I believe gay bashing is wrong! But I also believe that Christian bashing is just as wrong. Just because we we all may disagree about things....can't we be civil?
  • Onesnap
    Options
    In NC at the university I go to, we have preachers that come on campus and literally yell at people for being homosexual and tell them how they are going to Hell. They say the Bible should be the only law of the US and should have penalties if not obeyed. It's sad that in 2012 we are being held back by people like this.

While I'm not homosexual I believe everyone should have the opportunity to be married. I'm a member of the LGBTQ club (the straight alliance president actually lol). I hope that in my lifetime it will be legal throughout the US.

You could not pay me enough money to attend a University that allowed people like that on campus. Call me a New England liberal minded woman--but a place like that is not a place I'd feel comfortable. I want to be who I am and not have others force their beliefs on me at a University that I pay good hard earned cash to attend.
  • treetop57
    Options

TRUE. But at least they have more rights than other states in the Union.

In total agreement!
  • capaxinfiniti
    Options
    In NC at the university I go to, we have preachers that come on campus and literally yell at people for being homosexual and tell them how they are going to Hell. They say the Bible should be the only law of the US and should have penalties if not obeyed. It's sad that in 2012 we are being held back by people like this.

You could not pay me enough money to attend a University that allowed people like that on campus. Call me a New England liberal minded woman--but a place like that is not a place I'd feel comfortable. I want to be who I am and not have others force their beliefs on me at a University that I pay good hard earned cash to attend.

They go to universities all over the country, you can look up some of the "preachings" of these people on youtube (look up Brother Ross). Unfortunately when you live in the Bible Belt it's just something you'll have to deal with.
  • Mechel79
    Mechel79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the research of the importance of a mothers and fathers involvement in raising a child. You want to tempt fate and claim atheism that's fine. I'm not hear to change your mind. I'm just here so the OP knows all opinions about this issue.
    [/quote]

Your statement here contradicts what you seem to have been trying to do this entire post. If you would like the OP to know all opinions you could have simply stated yours and left it at that- and please enlighten me with this “research.” The fact is there is not a definite conclusion based on “research.” My mothers raised me, I do well in life, being raised by a same-sex couple had no hindrance on my life.
  • Onesnap
    Options

They go to universities all over the country, you can look up some of the "preachings" of these people on youtube (look up Brother Ross). Unfortunately when you live in the Bible Belt it's just something you'll have to deal with.

Again, I would not attend college (paid my way through grad school by working full time) at a place that allowed such people to speak on campus. I know it's regional--you mention the Bible Belt but here we have the best schools in the world (Harvard, MIT, etc.) and we allow gays to marry. It's a different world here. I know plenty of very religious people that went to college here. They might also not 100% agree on the fact that we allow gay marriage. But they respect people, gay or straight. Maybe in colleges that allow this type of person to speak on campus have to teach a bit more about respect and allow the young person to make up their own mind.
  • leehenryfox
    leehenryfox Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    "I don't think whites and blacks should be allowed to marry" - that's not acceptable.
    "Because my religion says so" - that's still not acceptable.

"I don't think gays should be allowed to marry" - that's not acceptable.
    "Because my religion says so" - oh, ok then. Sorry. We'll have to find a work-around. Uhm, shall we call it a Civil Partnership, will that be ok?

As a gay bloke who's been married, sorry, who has formed a Civil Partnership for over six years now since the law was changed here in the UK, I'd rather bigots had the courage of their convictions and just came right out and said "I don't agree with gay marriage because I don't like gays!" rather than hide their prejudice behind religious beliefs. It doesn't make the argument any more credible, and it unfairly tars with the same brush people who are religious, but not bigoted.

And if marriage is only for the religious, and sexual orientation has nothing to do with it, then why aren't straight couples allowed to enter a Civil Partnership? Or why aren't straight couples asked if they believe in God when they get married? Mmmm? Answer me that one, Archbishop of Canterbury :)
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Where has it been proven that it's genetic?

From the evidence I have been able to gather, it is a case of nature and nurture.

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1994-44971-001

Not to mention the close to 1.5k species that have displayed homosexual activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

Animals also inbreed amongst other things, so that's a terrible example, I was just waiting for this to pop up.

And some eat their young. I love it when people bring animals into this discussion. Since when did animals develop the level of reason that humans have. And when did they establish themselves as an equal species?

Equal species? Do you think we are more important than bees or fish?

That is a ridiculous question, I know where you are tying to with it, and it's absurd. Of course those two are important to the food chain, but that is where their value ends. If you think that we are on same level as other species, then I don't really see how I can have a rational discussion with you about my statement.

Do animals have a sense of right and wrong?
    Do they protect other animals and keep them from going extinct?
    Do they bring us into their homes and raise us(tarzan excluded)?
  • mikeandfox
    Options
    I think if we dropped the marriage part and just called it union or something like that all the fuzz would go away

I am going to try to defend the Christian viewpoint and then give my personal opinion.

According to the Bible, homosexuality is listed as a sin, (so are a whole bunch of other sins!)

“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived, neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9-11)

When that verse is preached in the pulpit, the pastor always talks about the other sins as well...fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, homosexuals, sodomites, thieves, covetous, drunkards, revilers, extortioners...Don't we all fall into one of these categories?? This verse is to show us...that none of us deserve to enter God's Kingdom...NONE OF US!

This is why most Christians are against homosexual marriage. NOW, here is my defense of Christians....since I am one and most of my friends are Christians, I can tell you that this is not a fighting issue for most of us. Yes, we think that "marriage" should be a man and a woman, but there are other issues out there that are much more important to us. The media LOVES to make conservatives look like hateful, judgmental, backwoods idiots. They love to fuel the fire...for example, birth control. The whole issue is, does the state have the right to tell a religious organization that they have to provide something that is against their religious beliefs. But, the media is spinning it to make it look like religious organizations do not want women to have access to birth control! Now conservatives are made to look like we hate women and do not want them to have access to healthcare!! Crazy and not true at all! (I am not Catholic by the way)

Most Christians are not homophobic. That would mean that we are afraid of homosexuals, not true. Christians are labeled as ignorant. Just because someone disagrees with you, are they really ignorant? Can't we all have different opinions and still keep our intelligence? Christians are labeled as judgmental...but aren't we all to some extent? When you watch Jersey Shore and you see those girls go home with The Situation...what do you think about that girl?

And to those that say that they have been treated like a second class citizen by Christians because they are gay, then that Christian was wrong to do that. And I know these type of Christians...and trust me, they treat everyone that way!!

My personal viewpoint...since I lean more towards the Libertarian viewpoint. I would approve of civil unions. I think if a couple shares their life together, they should have the same legal rights as my husband and I do. BUT, I also think that polygamist should be allowed civil unions as well (I am not Mormon either) Who are we to say that a man can not have more than 1 wife? As long as all of the women approve and know about each other and non are underage, then they should be allowed civil unions as well. And just because I would not do certain activities, I think that certain activities should be legal.

I would like to say that I believe gay bashing is wrong! But I also believe that Christian bashing is just as wrong. Just because we we all may disagree about things....can't we be civil?

Not Christian bashing, but religion has nothing to do with this. It's purely a legal matter. I wrote earlier in the thread, and cited, marriage has existed long before the Bible, or Torah for that matter.

Also, it is illegal and against our Freedom of Religion in the US to base decision on a federal level based purely on a religious ideology. That is the endorsement of one religion over another.

Also, the repeal of DOMA and passage of marriage equality would not force any religion to marry anyone. Church can still ban it and even speak out against it.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    "I don't think whites and blacks should be allowed to marry" - that's not acceptable.
    "Because my religion says so" - that's still not acceptable.

"I don't think gays should be allowed to marry" - that's not acceptable.
    "Because my religion says so" - oh, ok then. Sorry. We'll have to find a work-around. Uhm, shall we call it a Civil Partnership, will that be ok?

As a gay bloke who's been married, sorry, who has formed a Civil Partnership for over six years now since the law was changed here in the UK, I'd rather bigots had the courage of their convictions and just came right out and said "I don't agree with gay marriage because I don't like gays!" rather than hide their prejudice behind religious beliefs. It doesn't make the argument any more credible, and it unfairly tars with the same brush people who are religious, but not bigoted.

And if marriage is only for the religious, and sexual orientation has nothing to do with it, then why aren't straight couples allowed to enter a Civil Partnership? Or why aren't straight couples asked if they believe in God when they get married? Mmmm? Answer me that one, Archbishop of Canterbury :)

True. I was married by a Justice of the Peace and not in a Church (he'd been a family friend for many decades). God was not part of my wedding. We did, however, release doves during the ceremony so perhaps that was a nod to the religious folks in the audience that needed to have God mentioned in the ceremony for it to be 'legal'.

I have a friend here in MA that performs marriage ceremonies (for straight couples and gay couples). I don't think she would have a business that was successful outside of a state that allows gay marriage.

Isn't there a statistic that shows gay married couples stay together longer than straight married ones?
  • capaxinfiniti
    Options

Again, I would not attend college (paid my way through grad school by working full time) at a place that allowed such people to speak on campus. I know it's regional--you mention the Bible Belt but here we have the best schools in the world (Harvard, MIT, etc.) and we allow gays to marry. It's a different world here. I know plenty of very religious people that went to college here. They might also not 100% agree on the fact that we allow gay marriage. But they respect people, gay or straight. Maybe in colleges that allow this type of person to speak on campus have to teach a bit more about respect and allow the young person to make up their own mind.

Oh trust me, nobody likes the guys that come here. So much that the police have to stay with him to ensure that he isn't assaulted. But hey, that's the First Amendment for you. I'm sure 99% of people hate Westboro Baptist Church, but legally they are protected despite the very rude and disrespectful things they have done.

Despite how we feel, unfortunately the law will prevail. It will be up to us as voters and taxpayers to change that.

I'm sure this has gotten off the original topic, so I'll stop here.