Christians, what are you giving up for lent?

Options

Replies

• mcelledge
    mcelledge Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    good for you.
  • christinal83
    christinal83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am giving up broccoli. I know that sounds weird but its really bad for my acid reflux. I eat it too much and have issues. I know I shouldn't get it as much but I love it so much.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm Episcopal...or as some call it Catholic lite ;) I'm giving up chocolate...and am making sure that means everything chocolate..even the skinny cow snacks I have fallen in love with..
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Just a comment, - A few years ago I was at a meeting at church right around the beginning of Lent, and one of the nuns reminded us that Lent was a time to make a sacrifice, to give up something that we liked or loved, that had some meaning to give up. That it was NOT a time to diet or use Lent as a diet plan (lol). Anyway, as a kid, I remember giving up a favorite TV show during Lent (if I said which one, I'd be showing my age :). Good luck to everyone!:flowerforyou:

Lent is about sacrifice but it is also about purifying/ your body and mind and simplifying life so you can focus more on your relatioship with God. Giving up unhelathy things that will help take care of your body which is a gift from God is a goo thing. Giving up flavored greek yogurt is a sacrifice for me b/c It is a cheap easy brekfest and eatign less procedd sugar wil help "purify" my body.

Good for you giving up a TV show. It will give your more time to reflect or pray if you so choose.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm Catholic and plan to give up my beloved chocolate (even if it's Skinny Cow) and diet Dr. Pepper. But, I love this idea! Maybe this way, I can't rid myself of all bad things. Thanks!
    This is interesting. I believe it has helped me decide another topic to write about. I am a Christian. I go to a baptist church. We do not observe this idea. However, I believe it would be nice to see if I can "give up" something.
    It is just like fasting.

So here is the idea:
    I can give up something for maybe a month (30 days). By then I will be over it and will not want it any more.
    Then, next month rolls around (another 30 days) give up something else.
    and so on...
    The idea is to rid myself of all bad and unhealthy habits one at a time instead of just quitting them all cold turkey.

Off to blog about it.....

I like this too!!!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    catholics observe lent... christians fast at the beginning of the year.

Christian here, and I don't actually do either one.... Who fasts at the beginning of the year? Orthodox Christians maybe? Something new to Google, I guess! I have been trying to find ways to reinforce the significance of the days leading to Easter, though.

We did this last year: http://mustardseeds.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/03/tutorial-hill-of-calvary.html. It was a little messy so I think this year I'll do it more as a small tomb in the middle of a garden instead of as a big pile. I've seen a lot of variations on it, but this year I might do it with the big finish like she did here: http://impressyourkids.org/resurrection-easter-ideas-for-kids/

An Easter Passion Tree is a nice project, too, that doesn't involve dirt. :o) http://www.aholyexperience.com/2011/03/free-easter-devotional-with-easter-passion-tree-because-easters-more-important-than-christmas/

I also like the idea of a repentance box, but will probably wait until the kids can both write before doing it. http://www.krististephens.com/2011/03/refocusing-our-hearts-during-lent.html
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    For some people, giving up soda and chocolate are extremely difficult. I for one, will never give up juice. I eat everything in moderation now, but I really, really love juice..so I'm giving it up. I gave up TV last year for lent. I am thinking that it may seem easy to you, but perhaps it might not be for others? Just my two cents! :D
    Ok, now I'm not trying to start something... but why do people give up seemingly trivial things... or things that seem easy.... like food. I mean I can see cigarettes... I mean isn't the point of Lent to give up something that hinders ones relationship with God? I'm truly curious, so I'm not trying to judge anyone... I mean, I guess unless consuming things like chocolate or soda is hindering ones relationship with God by not being a good steward of your body... but if that's the case, then shouldn't one abstain from that for longer than 40 days?

Maybe "easy" isn't the right phrasing... I guess, I just don't understand the meaning of Lent in the way that many people observe it... But I would figure that people would give up things that hindered their relationship with God to the point that it is (almost) sinful... Like I can see giving up Tv or the internet (or specific webpages) because that can take time away from other things we should be doing... but unless you gorge yourself to the point of gluttony on things like juice, chocolate, soda, what have you... well I just don't understand why... really, why for only 40 days.... why not longer?
  • christinal83
    Options
    Ok, now I'm not trying to start something... but why do people give up seemingly trivial things... or things that seem easy.... like food. I mean I can see cigarettes... I mean isn't the point of Lent to give up something that hinders ones relationship with God? I'm truly curious, so I'm not trying to judge anyone... I mean, I guess unless consuming things like chocolate or soda is hindering ones relationship with God by not being a good steward of your body... but if that's the case, then shouldn't one abstain from that for longer than 40 days?

ETA: sorry for using "I mean" too many times in this posting... :ohwell:

Its basically a spring cleaning, well a spiritual cleaning.

Lent is actually 44 days (if anyone was curious).
  • WhaeaJo
    WhaeaJo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We are Christian and we give up something for Lent every year. We find that some of these traditions of the early church are amazing ways to reconnect with our faith and challenge ourselves to let go of the 'flesh'. Not to be dismissed because they are observed by other denominations.
    I am giving up my occasional glass of wine! Its unnecessary, but well loved. The challenge is to then use the pain of sacrifice - which we feel whenever we pine for what we have chosen to abstain from on our fast - to turn our thoughts to God.

All the best everyone with your Lenten fast!

15682332.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options

ETA: sorry for using "I mean" too many times in this posting... :ohwell:

I was raised being told it's doing something to improve yourself and your relationship with God. I'm not religious now (well, mostly), but I still believe in taking the time to think about what you could improve about yourself, and maybe also to count your blessings. Like I said, mine is to go jogging three times a week. It's something I know I can do, but that I'm just too lazy to do. There's people out there who aren't as lucky as me in that they can't go for a jog or they find it hard to understand looking after their bodies. I can understand it, even though I don't most of the time, so I should count my blessings and use what I have been given. From a religious view, it would be about thanking God for what I have and taking the opportunities He has given me.

Does that make sense? Because I tend not to make sense at night after work :laugh:

Also, please don't discount what I've said just because I'm not religious anymore :smile:
  • BizReynoldsS
    Options
    I'm Nazarene and I'm giving up FACEBOOK. Yikes! I'm so addicted. But I'm going to use the time I wasted on facebook for family, exercising and studying.. :) Maybe after the 40 days I won't feel it necessary to waste so much time on it. ;) Good Luck everyone!
  • jwelch7290
    jwelch7290 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was Catholic until I was about 6 but went to a Catholic school and so many people gave stuff up because they felt they had to, I would usually give something up and do my best to stick to it in order to help my friends stick to theirs but I didn't care a whole lot. It wasn't until i came to college that I really began to understand the point behind 'giving something up' for lent, as more of a sacrifice. I can see and agree that everyone has difficulty giving stuff up that others may think is easy or shouldn't count, but to each their own. Personally, I am giving up POP once and for all, and yes, using lent as my starting time. I'm also going to give up PROCRASTINATION (well, at least best I can), and try to use that extra time to sleep more and be more intentional in spending time with God and the people around me.
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    We each give up something every year, but we also go out of our way to do something for someone else each week during lent. We try to do this year round, but can't always, but during lent we make sure we pick a charity, make a donation, or volunteer at least once a week.

I am giving up "chocolate", but I like the TV idea and may do that as well.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I no longer practice Catholism, and haven't done a Lenten Fast for years, but this year I plan on giving up red meat and pork. It has been hard to give these up, and this is the push I need. I am non-denominational Christian now, and we don't do a "Lenten fast", but I figure if Christ can fast for 40 days and nights, I can give something up to remember what He has done for us.

Exactly!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Its basically a spring cleaning, well a spiritual cleaning.

Lent is actually 44 days (if anyone was curious).
    [/quote]

Yes it it but Sunday's don't count...Sunday's are always a feast day a "mini" easter if you will.
  • christinal83
    Options
    For some people, giving up soda and chocolate are extremely difficult. I for one, will never give up juice. I eat everything in moderation now, but I really, really love juice..so I'm giving it up. I gave up TV last year for lent. I am thinking that it may seem easy to you, but perhaps it might not be for others? Just my two cents! :D

Maybe "easy" isn't the right phrasing... I guess, I just don't understand the meaning of Lent in the way that many people observe it... But I would figure that people would give up things that hindered their relationship with God to the point that it is (almost) sinful... Like I can see giving up Tv or the internet (or specific webpages) because that can take time away from other things we should be doing... but unless you gorge yourself to the point of gluttony on things like juice, chocolate, soda, what have you... well I just don't understand why... really, why for only 40 days.... why not longer?

Thats how long He was in the desert
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Thats how long He was in the desert

I know that ;-) ... but I'm talking in respect to the food thing... why not work to abstain from it longer than 40 days.... or is that the point? That Lent is a starting point? But then why can't the starting point be Epiphany or the first day of Advent or just some other arbitrary date? I think this is why I never observed Lent... because everyone always seemed to be giving up Chocolate and I never saw the point in that... yeah it's hard (I like my chocolate and Dr. Pepper as much as the next girl, seriously) to do, but it seems like for many people it's giving up something for the sake of giving something up and that it's not really a sacrifice.... though I guess it could be if the person has chocolate pretty often and regularly...

I'm sorry, I'm just rambling to try and understand something I might not.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Lent in 2012 will start on Wednesday, the 22nd of February and will continue for 46 days until Saturday, the 7th of April. (I had to look it up, so I just copied and pasted.) I've never observed Lent, but maybe this is a good year to start. After reading through the posts, I think I know what I have to do. I'm not giving up my current addiction, MFP, but I will give up at least 30 minutes daily to spend in reading/studying my Bible. Lately, almost daily, I'm getting messages that I need to be studying God's Word. I heard a statistic yesterday that 50% of Americans surveyed can't name the first book of the Bible. I'm not that clueless, but I have been lax about studying the Word, and I know we're instructed to do that. I think I'll get a head start and begin this evening! Thanks for the nudge!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The 40 days is significant because it was how long Jesus was in the desert before beginning his public ministry. During that time, he was tempted by the devil thrice. There are other references to the 40 days in the Old testament and it is believed that Jesus rose from the tomb after 40 hours. To mourn his death, his followers fasted.

People practice Lent at various levels and to different degrees. Sundays don't count, for example. And you're supposed to fast on Ash Wednesday (tomorrow) and another day (I can't remember which one...sorry). Fridays are supposed to be without meat (called Days of Abstinence.) There are other things related to church services but I won't get into that. Lastly, Lent is not just about the fast or denial of something, it is also supposed to include 2 more pieces (a trinity! oh my!): something to bring you closer to God and also alms-giving or stewardship to one's community. Lent is about all three but tradition has brought about that for most people, you just give something up.

I'm Episcopalian - or was, I'm not particularly religious but I love the Lenten season... Hope that helps. :)
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options

I know that ;-) ... but I'm talking in respect to the food thing... why not work to abstain from it longer than 40 days.... or is that the point? That Lent is a starting point? But then why can't the starting point be Epiphany or the first day of Advent or just some other arbitrary date? I think this is why I never observed Lent... because everyone always seemed to be giving up Chocolate and I never saw the point in that... yeah it's hard (I like my chocolate and Dr. Pepper as much as the next girl, seriously) to do, but it seems like for many people it's giving up something for the sake of giving something up and that it's not really a sacrifice.... though I guess it could be if the person has chocolate pretty often and regularly...

I'm sorry, I'm just rambling to try and understand something I might not.

I explained more in my last post, but wanted to also comment on your point "why not longer" which I think is valid, too. Personally, I have stuck with a lot of my goals for Lent in a long-term sense. In the past, I've given up cake, potato chips, soda, etc. and now I very rarely have any of those things. 40 days is long enough to change a habit, but only if you want to. ;)