Working mom needs kid friendly crock pot recipe's!!

Options

Replies

• stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Taco Soup

2 cans beans....I use chili beans for the flavor
    1 can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 can cream corn
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    1 can rotel (can use 2 cans stewed tomatoes if trying to keep it nonspicy)
    1 pkg taco seasoning
    1 pound ground beef or turkey (I leave the meat out sometimes too and it's just as good)

Mix together and cook on low all day.

Serve with taco fixings over tortilla chips or by itself with just cheese and salsa. My kids have loved this for years. I cook in the crockpot all the time to save time, so I have all kinds of kid friendly dishes.....just let me know if you want more :)
  • mblanton75
    Options
    I run an in-home daycare and have no time to fix dinner for my family in the evenings so I am always using my crock pot. My children just tried this recipe today.

Black Bean Chili

2 cans (14 1/2 oz) of black beans, drained
    2 cans (14 1/2 oz) of diced tomatoes (with or without Chiles), drained.
    1 can of corn
    1 Tbsp of chili powder
    1 tsp of cumin
    1 tsp of cocoa powder
    low-fat sour cream
    baked tortilla chips

This recipe doesn't make the chili as "wet" as I'd like so I also add a bit of veggie stock.
    I dump it all into the crock pot to cook for the day. My children add the sour cream and crunched up tortilla chips.
  • JustLena75
    Options
    Apple Glazed Pork Roast

Get a picnic roast, about 4lbs or so. Season to your liking.
    Cut up 6 granny smith apples into quarters and place in the bottom of your crockpot.
    Place roast on top of the apples.
    Mix together 1/2c apple juice, 5 tblsp brown sugar, and 1 tsp ground ginger.
    Pour juice mixture over the roast.
    Cook on low 10-12 hours.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Cilantro Lime CHicken....I Love this, I put it over brown rice or noodles.

Ingredients
    1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
    1 (1.25 ounce) package dry taco seasoning mix
    1 lime, juiced
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions
    1. Place the salsa, taco seasoning, lime juice, and cilantro into a slow cooker, and stir to combine. Add the chicken breasts, and stir to coat with the salsa mixture. Cover the cooker, set to High, and cook until the chicken is very tender, about 4 hours. If desired, set cooker to Low and cook 6 to 8 hours. Shred chicken with 2 forks to serve.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 272 | Total Fat: 4.7g | Cholesterol: 117mg
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Blondie1913
    Options
    Bump
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I make this one, and usually it works for 2 meals in our family: Roasted chicken, and Chicken and Dumpling soup

1 fryer chicken - rinsed, patted dry and seasoned to your liking - I usually do lemon pepper and garlic salt. drizzle a little bit of EVOO and rub in - usually season the inside of the bird as well as the outside.
    Place in slow cooker breast side up - with 1/2 cup white wine, and 1/2 cup of water. Cook for 1 hour on high, then 6-9 hours on low - this will depend on the size of your bird and your slow cooker.

we usually eat this with a rice pilaf and some broccoli or veggies the first night. after cooled, I de-bone the chicken (break it down and shred it) using the "drippings" or the stock from the water/wine, make chicken soup the next night - this I do just on the stove top - cut up carrots, celery, potatoes- whatever you want in your soup, add some chicken stock and water - boil until veggies are just tender, and then I usually do some Bisquick dumplings (just follow the package directions), and pop them on the top of the soup - so you then get chicken and dumpling soup.
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • madyncaden
    madyncaden Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lynzy713
    lynzy713 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Kraft has some really great, low cal options for crock pot cooking:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/search/SearchResults.aspx?searchtext=crock+pot&scope=KR11-MemberRecipes

Also check out their foil-pack dinners. They don't take long to cook once you get home and the foil-packs makes a complete meal for each of you. My kids love them!!
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • pspetralia
    Options
    Apple Glazed Pork Roast

Get a picnic roast, about 4lbs or so. Season to your liking.
    Cut up 6 granny smith apples into quarters and place in the bottom of your crockpot.
    Place roast on top of the apples.
    Mix together 1/2c apple juice, 5 tblsp brown sugar, and 1 tsp ground ginger.
    Pour juice mixture over the roast.
    Cook on low 10-12 hours.

This sounds delicious!!!
  • pspetralia
    Options
    what does bump mean?

It is a way to mark the thread, so you can refer back to it at a later date.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    bump for later.. :wink:
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    My favorite is curry beef stew although I don't think it really tastes like curry (which is good for me because I don't care for curry, lol!)

Coat diced stew meat in flour and brown in a skillet. Place in your crock pot along with your favorite cut root veggies (potato, carrots, parsnips, celery, onion, etc.). Take half a block of a curry bar (not sure the real term for that....it looks like a candy bar but its curry flavoring and it’s in the Indian food section) and dissolve it in about a cup of hot water. Pour the mixture over the beef and veggies. Then pour a can of light coconut milk over the top of that and add water just so it covers everything in the pot. Cook on low for 6-10 hours. I serve mine over saffron rice when I'm not watching my sodium.....basmati rice is great too. It is sooooo yummy!

I also make baby back ribs in the crockpot all the time. It's super easy. First, pick baby racks that are not taller than your crockpot when they are standing up on the end of the bones. I season two racks with Lawry's season salt. Then you simply wrap them around the edge of the crockpot until they swirl into the middle. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Remove and finish in the BBQ with BBQ sauce for smokey flavor....or eat them as is (tast like carnitas) or....just pour bbq sauce on them (love sweet baby rays) and eat as is.....they could not be any easier.
  • oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Are you on Pinterest? There are hundreds of crock pot recipes on there!
  • Hubbafer
    Hubbafer Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump also puts the thread to the 'top' of the forum... that's it's original meaning as well :)
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    skinnycrockpot.com