Is there anyone that eats more than 1200 calories a day??

Options

Replies

• margaretmillen
    Options
    I have mine set at 2 lbs a week and it's at 1370, but I usually eat some of my workout calories and end up eating between 1400 and 1700 a day depending on how hungry I am
  • hottiewannabe
    hottiewannabe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have mine set for 1660. I used to do 1400 a day but hit a serious plateau for 2 months and nothing else was working. This worked like a charm! have been averaging 2 lbs a week loss since then : D
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My MFP says my BMR is 1170! :noway: Maintenance is 1490. I tried to eat only my BMR one weekend and my kids were ready to hog~tie me and force~feed carbs to me.:laugh: I am weak and mean when I eat low cal.:frown: I feel soooo much better eating near 1500! This is a LIFE~STYLE not a diet for me...to each his own though:smile:
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200/day since I started, and I let MFP choose for me. But, I'm so freaking hungry!! And I selected to lose 1lb per, as recommended. But, I try to work out 6 days a week, and I'm set to Sedentary. So, after reading this entire thread, I changed my selection to lose .5lb/week. Now it tells me I can have 1310 cals per day. I think that might be a bit more doable!
    I also don't deny myself. I just factor whatever I want to eat into my plan for the day usually.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1540 per day. I tend to stay right around there and I don't eat my exercise (which is 1 hour of boxing). It tends to balance out, though because my weekends are cheating time with my love of beer.
  • emily2tx
    Options
    I am on the 1200 calories a day, so I exersise M-F to eat more. My weekends are sedentary and I ALWAYS go over 1200 calories on the weekends. Monday weight is up, Friday is back down. I am going to try to do more on the weekends physically....I like to eat, but would like some weight to stay OFF!
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Today i decided to bump my up from 1200 to 1300 to see if I have anymore energy. I think maybe eating too little I slug through the week with no energy and then go crazy and binge on everything. Hope it helps to maybe not feel so hungry all the time.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    From numbers ive run I can tell you that on average, most average height men at 5'5" burn a TDEE ilof appx 2500-2700 and most average height women 5'3" burn appx 2200 TDEE. The vest sustainable weightloss and way of life is cutting only 15-20% from TDEE.

Lean mass and activity plays a big role in determining TDEE but again these numbers above are averages of hundreds of numbers run.

The problem with MFP is if you ask it for 2lbs a week, itsgoing to most likely give you 1200 cals a day.
    If you eat 1200 caps a day and miss you workout due to real life things, you are now vastly underrating.

Eating too low will slow metabolic rate.
    its in our nervous system and can only be fooled by belemics and anorexics.
    eating too low will help lose weight but 20-50% of that coukd be lean mass.

I don't think any of us wants to be smaller versions of our fat selves or former fat selves.

Getting rid of skinny fat sucks so do the diet right.

Eat the proper cals from the beginning and create a deficit through working out.

Beautiful bodies start in the kitchen and build while you sleep!
    Everything else is secondary.
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    very interesting thread
  • cgilchrist3
    cgilchrist3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I started I was just over 2000, totally sedentary, now that I've lost some weight, it recalculates automatically and I'm down to a base of 1860. I do some walking every day that amount to a few hundred calories, but I don't eat into that. I just bank it for offsetting any undercounting or shedding even more. So far so good after 80 days.

Have a good day everyone!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Per my friend who is a biochemist, and whom I trust and has helped me lose 43# to-date:
    TO LOSE weight, a person should be eating their weight +0, so I'm at 170 now so I eat 170+0 = 1,700 cals a day to LOSE.. I also eat back at least 60% of my exercise calories.. now this doesn't happen all the time but I always eat at least 1700 a day. I lose 1-2 pounds a week. I'm a happy person at this number and I like the person I'm becoming =)

Sorry, but the your weight +0 wouldn't work for me. No way. No how.

I would be starving to death. I currently weigh 145lbs, so that would be 1450. I would be threatening to eat small children and neighborhood dogs if I were to drop my calories down that low. My BMR is 1338 and my TDEE is 2449, so dropping down to 1450 would be creating a 1000 calorie deficit off my TDEE. Isn't gonna work for me.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    1200 isn't as hard as you'd think, really.

But what if someone told you that you can eat 1500-2000 calories a day and still burn fat and lose weight at a sustainable pace? Would you still restrict yourself at 1200 calories? Better yet, could you maintain a lifestyle at 1200 calories for the rest of your life? I can't. I'd rather learn to eat according to my activity level and create a healthy deficit through diet and exercise.

I eat 1700-2100 calories. I know if I eat up to my TDEE, I will maintain. If I eat 20% less I am creating a healthy deficit for weight loss. I have 7 lbs left to lose. I am in no rush. These are tools I need to focus on for the rest of my life to keep this weight off for good.

Meh, different strokes for different folks! :wink:
  • Caniacgirl59
    Options
    My profile suggests 1440, but my dietician, who suggested this site, told me to stay around 1500. Not a huge difference, but I chose to take her advice :) I am working with her to lose a max of 1 pound a week.
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I never heard of TDEE till I read the posts here. Following my physician's advice, I spent years eating 1650 to 1800 net calories (calories minus exercise calories burned) a day and eating only South Beach Diet foods.I'm 5'9 and weighed 160 when I started this. On that program, I consistently gained about 5 pounds per year until I reached 190. About two years ago, my MD advised me to buy an iPod touch and install the "LoseIt" app, so I could track my food and exercise. I took his advice, tracked my food and exercise for about 6 months, and continued to gain weight. Then I had a yearly checkup and discovered I had become prediabetic and had developed a slow thyroid. I dropped my weekly net calories to 1400, and I finally began to lose weight at the rate of about 1/2 pound per week. After 6 months (or about 24 weeks) I had dropped 12 pounds, and my thyroid was back in the normal range, but my fasting blood sugar went up. I posted a call for help here in the discussion boards, and several people responded and told me I should try a very, very low carb diet. I got online, found The Insulin Resistance Diet book, and read it. Taking the advise in that book, I continued eating 1400 net calories per day, but I limited each meal (and snack) to no more than 30 grams of carbs, and I ate enough protein to have consumed at least half as many grams of protein as of carbs at each meal or snack time. Also, I can't eat anything at all for at least three hours after any meal or snack. What I can tell you is that this works. I continue to lose 1/2 pound per week, and my blood sugar tests are now in the normal range and keep getting better. If I "take a break" from losing weight, I can eat 1600 calories a day and maintain. I just can't imagine eating as many calories as the TDEE system advises I could eat at 5'9. I would blimp up again if I raised my net calories. I've been there and I know.
  • jabberwockgee
    jabberwockgee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I set mine at 1200, so even if I go a little overboard (think an entire box of skinny cow snacks), I'm still not -really- over my calories.

The downside is that I never really get the "congratulations, you were under you calorie goal" thing, unless I'm under by 10-20 calories.
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Here is what I tried this last week and the results. 1230 is what mpf told me to eat a day to lose 1 lb a week. My BMR is about 1490. I am 5'2". I lost 1.3 lbs Feb19 - Feb 26
    Calories Consumed--Exercise
    Weight
    Feb 19 - 1527
    Feb 20 - 1466
    Feb 21 - 1506
    Feb 22 - 1508
    Feb 23 - 1470
    Feb 24 - 1549
    Feb 25 - 1309
    Feb 26 - 1240
    Feb 27
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I set mine at 1200, so even if I go a little overboard (think an entire box of skinny cow snacks), I'm still not -really- over my calories.

The downside is that I never really get the "congratulations, you were under you calorie goal" thing, unless I'm under by 10-20 calories.

No man should be eating 1200 cals.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1320 a day right now (plus exercise calories). It's working out to around 1-1.5 a week, sometimes a bit less. But I'm happy with my slow-and-steady method!
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set to my bmr, 1375. I do fine staying under and I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I also do not eat my exercise calories back unless I burn 600plus then I will eat back anything over the 600. This is working great for me. I'm felling great, losing weight, losing inches and I do not feel deprived.

13957828.png
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    nevermind