Are you in a Low Carb diet? You need to read this

Options

Replies

• bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Unless you are trying to build muscle mass in which case you are encouraged to eat 1-2 g / per body weight of lean muscle mass. In my case 170-350 gs a day. Now taking into account your body can only process 40-60 grams every 2 hours, I would think you do and can reach a point of saturation of protein.

People are often told to eat 300-700g of carbs per day (depending on activity levels). People are rarely encouraged to eat more than 200g of protein. Plus carbs flood the blood with glucose unlike protein. So there is a big difference physiologically between eating protein and carbs and the subsequent insulin response.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Now taking into account your body can only process 40-60 grams every 2 hours, I would think you do and can reach a point of saturation of protein.

Just something to read regarding the above as it has been readily established as false. Not trying to be a pecker about it, just wanted to share as it's a very informative article that accurately explains why the previously believed "protein absorption limit" is bogus:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    With all due respect you're partially wrong. Read below.

"Protein Absorption Rate

Protein does not always absorb at the same rate. The rate of absorption depends largely upon the biological value, or BV, of the protein. The BV of a protein measures its overall absorbability. The protein with the highest absorbability is whey protein. According to Dr. Helen Kollias, Ph.D., an expert in muscle development, whey protein absorbs at a rate of about 8- to-10 g per hour. It takes whey protein about 1.5 hours to complete the digestion process. Other proteins, such as soy and meat, may take hours longer (4-5 h)."

So depends of the type of protein you can take way more than 40-60 grams once.
    On top read the article from the link above.

Unless you are trying to build muscle mass in which case you are encouraged to eat 1-2 g / per body weight of lean muscle mass. In my case 170-350 gs a day. Now taking into account your body can only process 40-60 grams every 2 hours, I would think you do and can reach a point of saturation of protein.

People are often told to eat 300-700g of carbs per day (depending on activity levels). People are rarely encouraged to eat more than 200g of protein. Plus carbs flood the blood with glucose unlike protein. So there is a big difference physiologically between eating protein and carbs and the subsequent insulin response.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    The problem, however, is that low carb diets don’t provide the education needed to keep the weight off. Therefore I, and many of my fellow low carb dieters, have ended up putting the weight back on. Hence my current low calorie approach....

What education is that? I thought it was common sense that when you go back to the same eating habits that got you fat in the first place that you would regain the weight.
    Unfortunately, it is a lifestyle that is difficult, if not impossible, to maintain in our current environment...

I agree with this, but its because our culture values junk food over health.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    As someone who has done both low carb and "normal" carb low calorie diets, I can attest to the fact that you lose weight a LOT faster on a low carb diet. In 1.5 months I could have easily lost as much weight as I have lost in 4 months on my "normal" carb low calorie diet. The problem, however, is that low carb diets don’t provide the education needed to keep the weight off. Therefore I, and many of my fellow low carb dieters, have ended up putting the weight back on. Hence my current low calorie approach....

That said, all of the theories behind low carb diets make perfect sense to me. Back in the day before ovens, refrigerators, and genetically modified foods people ate what was available to them; this meant nutrient and fiber (complex carbohydrates) dense veggies and fruits only when they were in season (and I might add that today's genetically modified versions of these fruits and veggies contain a lot more sugar) and meat (which was leaner because it roamed free) when they could hunt and catch it. There was no bread and no pasta...Simple carbs simply didn’t exist. This, it makes sense to me, is how our bodies were designed to eat and explains why low carb diets work so well. Unfortunately, it is a lifestyle that is difficult, if not impossible, to maintain in our current environment...

I agree with you completely on the Education part.
    MFP has enabled me to ensure not only that my caloric intake is reduced, but to watch for intake of fiber, cholesterol, sodium, etc for better health.

On the food that humans are designed to eat: a lot of debate there !
    What would a diet of the first humans look like?

You could argue humans are not designed to eat meat, since we had no means to kill the animals, until we developed tools. Our current digestive system was already in place, long before we started killing animals.
    But this is a hot topic, that would only take us outside the low carb discussion.
    BTW, I do eat meat, so don't tag me as anti-meat :bigsmile:
  • johnnythrash
    johnnythrash Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would offer to show you how to make a Pine Cone Bird Feeder, but since it's loaded with carbs I doubt I would have many takers.

Such a shame.

Pine Cone Bird Feeders will kill you due to high carb content, stay away plz for your own safety

Also, just a question to everyone because I am honestly curious... Those of you that quote scientific publications, do you actually understand that they're saying? I'm not saying that I don't think you do, I'm just curious if you understand EVERYTHING (all of the words, even the big ones) or do you just only understand certain parts of them. And I'm not talking about just reading the Abstract either, I'm talking about the WHOLE paper. (Also, not SOMEONE ELSE'S review of a publication.)

Also, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal and shouldn't be taken as any kind of authoritative source on anything. Good for you if never eating xyz and only eating abc worked for you, that doesn't mean it's the right thing for me or anyone else.

With that being said, I am neither for nor against any kind of specific diet. If it works for you and it's medically healthy then go for it!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Can't we just agree that we're all different and that the human body is amazing, adaptable, unique and surprising?

I'll add this anecdote... when I was 22 or so, I was quite fat. I gained a ton of weight after graduating from college and starting my first desk job. At 5'9", I weighed about 235 pounds. I decided it was time to lose some weight. This was in the early '90s - the peak of the low-fat craze. It was all SnackWells and fat free cheese and rice cakes and potato chips made with Olestra. There were cookbooks and lifestyle books everywhere about how to live a fat-free lifestyle. I totally bought into it. 85%-90% of my calories each day came from carbs - many of them simple carbs. I would have toast and fruit for breakfast, pasta with fat free marinara sauce for lunch, more pasta or a huge baked potato for dinner. I refused to have more than 5 grams of fat a day, because back then, everybody believed that fat made you fat. I didn't eat much protein either because it was either too expensive or too high in fat.

You know what happened... I lost 100 pounds in less than a year. My bloodwork looked fantastic, too. I kept the weight off for a few years, until I got married and started cooking for my husband. I started eating too much - large portions, snacking, etc. I gained about 60 pounds back.

I've now lost 54 of those pounds again. This time, I didn't do fat-free or low-carb or low-fat or high-protein or anything. I set some loose macros 55/15/30 and counted my calories. It worked just as easily as the no-fat diet I followed back in the early 90's.

Like I said... totally anecdotal and just my experience. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's probably true that different things work for different people. I wish people would just eat what they want and stop trying to prove everyone who disagrees with them wrong.
  • Jlwebb07
    Jlwebb07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump...need to read later
  • slblakeman
    slblakeman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It worked for me!!!!!!!!
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Three comments.

1. I am fascinated that people hang their hat on a study in which the authors state clearly that the results are inconclusive.
    2. I am fascinated that an inconclusive study can generate 5 pages.
    3. Regarding one of the studies "conclusions", some people think org's like the ADA and AHA don't have vested interests (in non-health related manners), some do.

I'm easily fascinated. :wink:
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness...sorry! ElPumaMex, just sounding off in general and not towards you! My deepest apologies. :flowerforyou:

Yes I read the entire study. Problem is that I'm so prepared for the worst in a study like that, I expect it.

Yes, it's the process food companies that are normally behind such studies. I live in processed food Mecca. In the heart of Pillisbury, General Mills, Malt O Meal, Betty Crocker, Pilsbury....I know...they have a very big financial vested interest in this.

I can thank fhem for one thing...keeping up a bit more recession proof than the rest of the states.
  • slo02ee
    Options
    My two cents:

I get full easier and with less food when I focus on eating fats and proteins. When I eat carbs, I snack all day. I have noticed my friends on MFP that follow a standard low calorie only diet, they have lots of snacks throughout the day. I eat 2-3 meals focusing on fats, proteins and low carb vegetables, and stay full for hours. I still eat under 1800 calories on average with is low enough for weight loss for my height and weight.

So I do count calories, but I choose to get these calories from fats and proteins primarily. And I rarely overeat.
  • andrejjorje
    Options
    I will answer you. We ate meat from the beginning. In the oldest humanoid fossils we found (1.8 million years) it's been tested with carbon that that guy/girl (they don't specify) ate meat. So since those times and until the industrialized revolution we ate unprocessed meat.
    Before that period we don't know and we don't need to know. 1.8 million years is enough (genetically speaking) to figure out what works best for us.
    By the way, none of the actual predators have tools and they manage to kill and eat.:laugh:

You could argue humans are not designed to eat meat, since we had no means to kill the animals, until we developed tools. Our current digestive system was already in place, long before we started killing animals.
    But this is a hot topic, that would only take us outside the low carb discussion.
  • slo02ee
    Options
    I am constantly hungry. I NEED carbs

maybe you should try the low carb diet..most of us are rarely hungry. :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I feel as though this thread is complete because the term herp derp was used :heart: :heart:
    and because sidesteal felt the need to point out that he is not a pecker . . . :drinker:

edit: grumble, fing typo
  • ElPumaMex
    Options
    Oh goodness...sorry! ElPumaMex, just sounding off in general and not towards you! My deepest apologies. :flowerforyou:

Yes I read the entire study. Problem is that I'm so prepared for the worst in a study like that, I expect it.

Yes, it's the process food companies that are normally behind such studies. I live in processed food Mecca. In the heart of Pillisbury, General Mills, Malt O Meal, Betty Crocker, Pilsbury....I know...they have a very big financial vested interest in this.

I can thank fhem for one thing...keeping up a bit more recession proof than the rest of the states.

I completely understand your position. No need to be sorry, but thanks for the post :flowerforyou:
  • ElPumaMex
    Options
    I will answer you. We ate meat from the beginning. In the oldest humanoid fossils we found (1.8 million years) it's been tested with carbon that that guy/girl (they don't specify) ate meat. So since those times and until the industrialized revolution we ate unprocessed meat.
    Before that period we don't know and we don't need to know. 1.8 million years is enough (genetically speaking) to figure out what works best for us.
    By the way, none of the actual predators have tools and they manage to kill and eat.:laugh:

Could you please direct me to where you found that humans ate meat from the beginning? or at least from 1.8 million years ago? (which btw, is a drop in the bucket of evolution time)

On the predators: last time I checked, I did not have the same "tools" as a Lion or similar predators. I challenge you to chase an animal and kill it without a weapon ! Even chasing a chicken would not be easy to do, and I don't think you were referring to chicken :smokin:
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am constantly hungry. I NEED carbs

maybe you should try the low carb diet..most of us are rarely hungry. :)

So true... I had to force myself to eat when I was on a low carb diet. I was never hungry and I had tons of energy. I actually felt better on a low carb diet than I have ever felt before. My problem is a lack of will power. On a low carb diet, when you mess up for 1 day, or 1 meal even, it takes 3 or 4 days for your body to get back on track... at least on my low calorie diet, I don't feel like I've lost days of progress when I blow it, and yes, I do blow it from time to time...
  • andrejjorje
    Options
    El Puma Mex. Insects, frogs, lizards and other small ones are meat. Just yesterday I've read that without any tools but using their brain and hunting in groups some monkeys eat other monkeys to complete their protein diet.
    After we developed tools we went after bigger games.
    And yes if I use my brain (it seems that you have a good one) I can ambush and corner a chicken and break his neck. This what made us different. Our brains.

I don't have perse a link but I have something saved on my machine. I hope you don't believe that I've made up those names.
    Here you go:

"
    Homo Habilis- 2.4 to 1.4 million years ago in East Africa-Their main diet was fruits, roots, nuts and vegetables that they found growing wild.

homo ergaster- 1.51 and 1.56 million years ago east and south africa- Increasinly scavaged carnivorious diet in the African regions but not in other regions.

Homo erectus- 1.8 and 1.0 million years ago africa and Eurasia-Lush vegetables, year round fruits, and occasional insects. This is the first of the homonin to branch off from Africa.

Homo neanderthalensis- 600,000 and 95,000 years ago Europe and west asia- Skilled hunters."

Could you please direct me to where you found that humans ate meat from the beginning? or at least from 1.8 million years ago? (which btw, is a drop in the bucket of evolution time)

On the predators: last time I checked, I did not have the same "tools" as a Lion or similar predators. I challenge you to chase an animal and kill it without a weapon ! Even chasing a chicken would not be easy to do, and I don't think you were referring to chicken :smokin: