Are you in a Low Carb diet? You need to read this

Options
123457»

Replies

• ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am constantly hungry. I NEED carbs

maybe you should try the low carb diet..most of us are rarely hungry. :)

So true... I had to force myself to eat when I was on a low carb diet. I was never hungry and I had tons of energy. I actually felt better on a low carb diet than I have ever felt before. My problem is a lack of will power. On a low carb diet, when you mess up for 1 day, or 1 meal even, it takes 3 or 4 days for your body to get back on track... at least on my low calorie diet, I don't feel like I've lost days of progress when I blow it, and yes, I do blow it from time to time...

Yes.
    With a low calorie diet, using tools as MFP, I feel totally in control.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Here you go ElPumaMex.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5dw1MuD9EP4
    That's your link.
    I will answer you. We ate meat from the beginning. In the oldest humanoid fossils we found (1.8 million years) it's been tested with carbon that that guy/girl (they don't specify) ate meat. So since those times and until the industrialized revolution we ate unprocessed meat.
    Before that period we don't know and we don't need to know. 1.8 million years is enough (genetically speaking) to figure out what works best for us.
    By the way, none of the actual predators have tools and they manage to kill and eat.:laugh:

On the food that humans are designed to eat: a lot of debate there !
    What would a diet of the first humans look like?

You could argue humans are not designed to eat meat, since we had no means to kill the animals, until we developed tools. Our current digestive system was already in place, long before we started killing animals.
    But this is a hot topic, that would only take us outside the low carb discussion.
    BTW, I do eat meat, so don't tag me as anti-meat :bigsmile:

Could you please direct me to where you found that humans ate meat from the beginning? or at least from 1.8 million years ago? (which btw, is a drop in the bucket of evolution time)

On the predators: last time I checked, I did not have the same "tools" as a Lion or similar predators. I challenge you to chase an animal and kill it without a weapon ! Even chasing a chicken would not be easy to do, and I don't think you were referring to chicken :smokin:
  • ElPumaMex
    Options
    El Puma Mex. Insects, frogs, lizards and other small ones are meat. Just yesterday I've read that without any tools but using their brain and hunting in groups some monkeys eat other monkeys to complete their protein diet.
    After we developed tools we went after bigger games.
    And yes if I use my brain (it seems that you have a good one) I can ambush and corner a chicken and break his neck. This what made us different. Our brains.

I don't have perse a link but I have something saved on my machine. I hope you don't believe that I've made up those names.
    Here you go:

"
    Homo Habilis- 2.4 to 1.4 million years ago in East Africa-Their main diet was fruits, roots, nuts and vegetables that they found growing wild.

homo ergaster- 1.51 and 1.56 million years ago east and south africa- Increasinly scavaged carnivorious diet in the African regions but not in other regions.

Homo erectus- 1.8 and 1.0 million years ago africa and Eurasia-Lush vegetables, year round fruits, and occasional insects. This is the first of the homonin to branch off from Africa.

Homo neanderthalensis- 600,000 and 95,000 years ago Europe and west asia- Skilled hunters."
    I will answer you. We ate meat from the beginning. In the oldest humanoid fossils we found (1.8 million years) it's been tested with carbon that that guy/girl (they don't specify) ate meat. So since those times and until the industrialized revolution we ate unprocessed meat.
    Before that period we don't know and we don't need to know. 1.8 million years is enough (genetically speaking) to figure out what works best for us.
    By the way, none of the actual predators have tools and they manage to kill and eat.:laugh:

You could argue humans are not designed to eat meat, since we had no means to kill the animals, until we developed tools. Our current digestive system was already in place, long before we started killing animals.
    But this is a hot topic, that would only take us outside the low carb discussion.

Could you please direct me to where you found that humans ate meat from the beginning? or at least from 1.8 million years ago? (which btw, is a drop in the bucket of evolution time)

On the predators: last time I checked, I did not have the same "tools" as a Lion or similar predators. I challenge you to chase an animal and kill it without a weapon ! Even chasing a chicken would not be easy to do, and I don't think you were referring to chicken :smokin:

Yes, I am aware that monkeys and gorillas eat some small animals (lizards, etc) ocassionally.
    Their main diet is purely vegetarian.

I questioned when you stated that it was proved that 1.8 million years ago, humans ate meat.
    Your last post shows that is not the case; clearly Homo erectus, according to what you quoted, was vegetarian.

BTW you did not list our species, Homo Sapiens, which is not more than 200,000 years old.
    In my mind, it is clear humans were vegetarians and ocassionally would eat meat (lizards, etc) and insects, same way as our cousings the apes.
    (Disclaimer: I do eat meat !)

Here is some reading you may find interesting on Homo Sapiens:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071017145252.htm

Hopefully now we can get back to the discussion on Low Carbs.
    But you are welcomed to send me a message
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    El Puma Mex. Insects, frogs, lizards and other small ones are meat. Just yesterday I've read that without any tools but using their brain and hunting in groups some monkeys eat other monkeys to complete their protein diet.
    After we developed tools we went after bigger games.
    And yes if I use my brain (it seems that you have a good one) I can ambush and corner a chicken and break his neck. This what made us different. Our brains.

I don't have perse a link but I have something saved on my machine. I hope you don't believe that I've made up those names.
    Here you go:

"
    Homo Habilis- 2.4 to 1.4 million years ago in East Africa-Their main diet was fruits, roots, nuts and vegetables that they found growing wild.

homo ergaster- 1.51 and 1.56 million years ago east and south africa- Increasinly scavaged carnivorious diet in the African regions but not in other regions.

Homo erectus- 1.8 and 1.0 million years ago africa and Eurasia-Lush vegetables, year round fruits, and occasional insects. This is the first of the homonin to branch off from Africa.

Homo neanderthalensis- 600,000 and 95,000 years ago Europe and west asia- Skilled hunters."

I ain't no scientist, however I did see an interesting tv show on human evolution (discovery channel) a couple of years back that discussed around this topic. it said that basically while humans lacked some other evolutionary predatory "tools" such as claws and top speeds of in the tens of miles per hour, they had other tools that strengthened over time. While not as fast as other animals, humans have the potential for a greater stamina than many with a quick recovery allowing for the tracking of prey over great distances, where as those animals with great speeds have tend to have lower stamina. Humans are also more versatile as far as handling various terrains. Then there's the whole higher mental capacity and opposable thumb thing we have going for us. Also, humans are pack animals by nature, which paired with a higher level of critical problem solving capacity makes the probability of success while hunting higher. Now maybe my evolutionary science is outdated, but my understanding is that one of the proofs of humans being omnivores for more than an evolutionary heart beat is in the teeth. We have those great ripping and tearing teeth to the front for really tearing apart that juicy steak without manners and the chewing and gnashing teeth in the back perfect for the side salad.
  • allnewellie
    Options
    whatever

/rolleyes

why don't you concentrate on what works for you, and leave other people and what they eat alone?!
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Well duh isn't every study conclusive and say.... Although carbs, protein or fats were restricted.... Bottom line is calorie control above everything else.

The debates will continue and people will be saying yes or no to particular diets... In my honest opinion to a large degree all diets are in some ways fads. I have read positives about a low fat diet cons about and same with low carb diets and other diets.

I quit reading research papers and studies long ago because in all aspects they are controlled and not realistic for you and I to follow.

Eat, be merry and choose quality foods but also don't be afraid to eat that high fat muffin once in a while.

Living with a diabetic (my father) who is also a dialysis patient. It seems to me that diabetes although can be created by lifestyle choices to a large degree is also genetical.

^^^^^^ YES! Ditto!
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    whatever

/rolleyes

why don't you concentrate on what works for you, and leave other people and what they eat alone?!

^^^^ You're AWESOME
  • slo02ee
    Options
    I am constantly hungry. I NEED carbs

maybe you should try the low carb diet..most of us are rarely hungry. :)

So true... I had to force myself to eat when I was on a low carb diet. I was never hungry and I had tons of energy. I actually felt better on a low carb diet than I have ever felt before. My problem is a lack of will power. On a low carb diet, when you mess up for 1 day, or 1 meal even, it takes 3 or 4 days for your body to get back on track... at least on my low calorie diet, I don't feel like I've lost days of progress when I blow it, and yes, I do blow it from time to time...

I have only been doing this since November, but I have not messed up for "1 day" yet. I have had an occasional slipup but it never took me 3-4 days to get back on track. In fact, I went out to dinner with my husband on valentine's day. I had an 8 oz filet mignon, a caesar salad without croutons, and steamed broccoli on the side. They had a special dessert of red velvet cake. I ate about 1/3 of it (it was BIG), and I still lost the next morning.

The takeaway from all of this SHOULD be.. do what works for you! People get so angry about proving people wrong and yadda yadda yadda. I have friends on MFP who do super strict restriction (less than 1000 cals), super low carb, clean/paleo style, and standard calorie deficit style. Who cares? If it is working, good for you.
  • ElPumaMex
    Options

I ain't no scientist, however I did see an interesting tv show on human evolution (discovery channel) a couple of years back that discussed around this topic. it said that basically while humans lacked some other evolutionary predatory "tools" such as claws and top speeds of in the tens of miles per hour, they had other tools that strengthened over time. While not as fast as other animals, humans have the potential for a greater stamina than many with a quick recovery allowing for the tracking of prey over great distances, where as those animals with great speeds have tend to have lower stamina. Humans are also more versatile as far as handling various terrains. Then there's the whole higher mental capacity and opposable thumb thing we have going for us. Also, humans are pack animals by nature, which paired with a higher level of critical problem solving capacity makes the probability of success while hunting higher. Now maybe my evolutionary science is outdated, but my understanding is that one of the proofs of humans being omnivores for more than an evolutionary heart beat is in the teeth. We have those great ripping and tearing teeth to the front for really tearing apart that juicy steak without manners and the chewing and gnashing teeth in the back perfect for the side salad.

I think I watched the same show, and I believe the humans chasing the animals for miles... had weapons on their hands ! :bigsmile:

Now, I don't intend to start a debate here on humans being designed or not to eat meat.
    Feel free to send me a message, and we can continue talking about it.
  • harriet_tubman
    Options
    Thermodynamically there is no difference - 4 cals per gram of protein or carbs.

However, in the real world and avoiding hunger pangs/blood sugar bounces (where on craves carb based food) a low carb diet will often help this. The main thing in dieting is over eating and the lack of large insulin releases when on a lower carb diet often prevents over eating and many find it easier. What is more, low carb can be sub 20g a day all the way up to 100-150g a day. There is no set 'low' carb diet.

Which creates an issue - studies will not show all the variables it looks at it in a black and white way, not in any shades of grey.

I like this one the best.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    bump
  • allnewellie
    Options
    ^^^^ You're AWESOME

YOU are awesome! Congrats on the good work so far!