Dr. Phil - Open Marriage

Options

Replies

• woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If husband, wifey and children are okay with it, then that's fine.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I think I'd rather see people do this, then the man or woman sneak around behind the other ones back.

I've been known to bend the rules now and again.
  • loridianehood
    Options
    couldnt have said it better :) to tiggerrick
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    We have a couple we're good friends with that are swingers and it works out great for them. The only problem is trying to find a suitable couple.....you're essentially dating them and instead of 2' there's 4 people involved and they all have to feel groovy.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Oh HELL no...aside from "Does not share well", I also earn the gold star for "Does not play well with others".

:laugh:
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    Won't ever happen with me. I feel like marriage is between two people who want to only share their intimate feelings with each other.

But I can understand how that would work for them...however, no condoms required seems a little risky. If for some strange reason this EVER happened to me that would be a requirement if my man was allowed to have sex with someone else!
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    not for me, but whatever creams their twinkie.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Why bother to get married then?

Thank you!! Marriage means you will love honor and sleep with that one person the rest of your life.. If you dont get the commitement than dont get married! Ugh this world we live in these days I dont get it.. The idea of my husband touching and being inside another woman makes my skin crawl no i dont want you porking other woman than coming home to me no thanks..

There's nothing in the vow of marriage about sleeping with only one person. It's only part of the vow of marriage if that's the commitment you make to one another. Marriage is about commitment to each other that runs much greater than sex. Not to mention a legal commitment. So there's plenty of reason to marry someone even if both parties agree that they want to be intimate with other people.

And lets not pretend like polygamy is something new. Back in biblical times, it was common for men to have multiple wives. So it's not exactly new or shocking.

Like I said in my other post, it's certainly something that's not for most people (myself included), but as long as all people involved are consenting, I don't think their lifestyle is any less valid than mine.
  • tiffastar
    tiffastar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, it doesn't work out. I think I lied to myself thinking it would work if we just followed the "rules" but it doesn't. Someone always gets hurt; and as a woman, I started to feel unworthy of my husband's love and respect.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I think it could work in some situations, but not mine. I'm not jealous usually, but I would be if I knew my hubby was out fu****g someone else. That's just me, though.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    To each their own... I do NOT share :angry: my husband is ALLLLL mine! Maybe i'm just stingy. It might work for some people. It keeps things interesting and spices up their life? Its becoming more common or at least less taboo.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings on this. I do sometimes wonder if humans were not meant to mate for life with one person. Think about all of your past relationships, you cannot ever compare one relationship and your feelings for that person to another because you feel differently about each person. You loved each person for different reasons, and often each person brings out something different in your own personality.

To go by the thought that one person can fulfill all of our emotional, mental, physical and spiritual needs seems a little short sighted. Also, given the rate of infidelity in so-called committed relationships kind of points to the fact that we have difficulty sticking to just one person. That's not to say that our society should be in open relationships simply because we cannot keep it in our pants, but I would say most people would be lying if they said they have always been happy in their relationship, never daydreamed about being with someone else even if on a fantasy level.

That all being said, I am happily married and I have never ever cheated in a relationship. If my husband came home tomorrow and announced that he would like our marriage to be open, I would burst into tears and probably have a heart attack. I just sometimes wonder what the world would be like if being in open relationships were the norm and the only thing we knew.
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options

I guess if you have no ability to connect on a soul level.........this might be possible.........but how very sad........

They may connect on a soul level. We have no way of knowing that from a talk show. But my husband and I are in an open relationship, and the reason I'm okay with it is because we DO connect on a soul level. We don't need to talk to know the other person's emotions, usually, although we both turn to each other when feelings need to be discussed. I'm okay with it because I know for a fact that he's coming home to me, and one of the rules is that I have to meet anyone he wants to bring into the relationship and approve. It isn't sad for us, it's an expansion of our hearts and our fun! =D
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Why bother to get married then?

For the tax break???

Now what fish bowl do I put my keys in again?:wink:
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    If my wife ever suggested we give an open marriage a try, I have several lovely ladies on my friends list that would come to mind. :tongue:
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    there is a very important difference between loving someone and having sex needs, which American often have trouble to understand.

some people need a sex life their wife cannot offer (or that their husband cannot offer)
    A marriage works when both parties are fully satisfied and in some case, it means external pure physical relation.

Having sex with someone is a physical act that is very different that making love. It is definitively not for everyone, but it does not mean it is wrong either.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    LIke others have said, whatever turns their crank, floats their boat - keeps their marriage alive. I could personally never do that, but that's me. That's the beauty of people, we are all different.

I try to go through life NOT judging, whether it be by race, gender, sexual orientation, job status, or, even, what people do in the bedroom.

What I figure is, if they don't affect me or anyone else in a negative way, then go right ahead.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mine being a second wife. If I were first I might have more jealousy issues.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I don't watch Dr. Phil, though I suspect if they got on the show they have far deeper issues than an open marriage.

As others have said, open marriages are far more common than you may think. Most couples are very discreet about it, both because well, it's none of your business, but also to avoid some of the snap judgements I've seen here. Every couple has boundaries. Some boundaries just encompass more than others. It has NOTHING to do with a lack of love, commitment, or perceived morals.
  • Caitie1986
    Caitie1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was always taught that if you have to keep your relationship secret you probably shouldn't be in it. Some people may really be happy in open marriages, but I would venture to say that there are more hurt feelings and bruised egos in that scenario than in a monogamous marriage (which I am currently thoroughly enjoying). Marriage/relationships shouldn't be about sex. It has to be about knowing the other person and being special/intimate with them on an entirely different level. There's no way I could have the emotional and spiritual connection that I do with my husband now if either of us were intimate with other people.