The Hunger Games

Options

Replies

• mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    i had never heard of the hunger games until i saw a preview for it last year. Then all my friends were talking about how good the books were.

so 10 days ago i started reading the hunger games. I finished reading mockingjay last night. Considering I only read at night i ate through those books.

I thoroughly enjoyed the series, and it's not kids killing kids, that's only a very small portion, it's a lot better than that. it's like of like lost vs survivor vs love triangle. and more.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I read all 3 books in about 3-4 days. I couldn't stop reading but for me this was "light reading" seeing how most of the books I read are about real crimes and murder :laugh:
  • triciawebb78
    triciawebb78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Loved all three books and cannot wait for the movie!

Also, try the Matched series....no killin in that one:) third one comes out in november.
  • ....... read the books. Then comment with your opinion. Its about so much more than "killing kids". I can't ruin the ending but, trust me, its nothing like what you have assumed about the previews!
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    My question is how do you judge something you haven't actually read?

:huh:

this. and I'm not going to provide spoilers but this is an instance of you can't judge a book by it's cover and sometimes not even by it's short description.

There's at least half a dozen posts addressing this you could read....

sorry I didn't feel like reading through 7 pages on the subject. Next time I won't bother you with replying at all. :flowerforyou: :ignorebutton:

That's just pure irony right there... "Don't judge something you haven't read." :laugh:

How was I judging something I hadn't read? I didn't judge any of the other posts or even your OP. I was stating my opinion on the books
  • klross
    klross Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I totally have this book on hold at the library. Almost finished with Pillars of the Earth which I totally enjoy. I might switch to World Without End though so I don't completely forget the plot of the PotE book. Loving it so far!

I've read Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, you don't have to read them together, they are separated by 300 or 400 years in the same town, other than that, all the characters are different! I LOVED those books.

Now my two cents on the Hunger Games. They are good books and you should read them before passing judgement. Very interesting books and I think appropriate for pre-teens and teens, even adults.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Its no worse than other books out there. I loved the series and can't wait for the movie!! I have them on my Nook and they are Lend Me books so you can borrow them for free instead of paying nearly $8 per book. :)
    I'm just waiting for everyone to finish the 3rd book and see what kind of posts there are about that! I read some reviews for Mockingjay and people were so pissed! For those one their way to Mockingjay, do not expect a fairytale! My experience in reading it was an emotional rollercoaster! Haha. It is a dark and REALISTIC depiction of what happens to the people involved in a war. You will love it!
    It is pretty gritty and dark. I hated parts of it and loved other parts. She wound up with who I wanted her to be with, but not much fanfare to it. I heard they were planning on 4 movies, cause they wanna split The Mockingjay into two movies.

I was wondering about that. I see no possible way they could make Mockingjay one movie unless it was 5 hours long. And if they try to fluff it up at all I will be pissed! LOL

Me either. The last HP...I got it. That was a very long book and there was a lot of loose ends to clear up. But the last Twilight movie could have been one movie and Mockingjay can easily be one movie.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Such an awesome series, I read them a long time ago and was so excited to see there are going to be movies! I just really hope the movies are any good. I liked the Twilight books a lot, but the movies have sucked so bad. I really hope they do a better job with these movies!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My question is how do you judge something you haven't actually read?

:huh:

this. and I'm not going to provide spoilers but this is an instance of you can't judge a book by it's cover and sometimes not even by it's short description.

There's at least half a dozen posts addressing this you could read....

sorry I didn't feel like reading through 7 pages on the subject. Next time I won't bother you with replying at all. :flowerforyou: :ignorebutton:

That's just pure irony right there... "Don't judge something you haven't read." :laugh:

How was I judging something I hadn't read? I didn't judge any of the other posts or even your OP. I was stating my opinion on the books

Doesn't need to be an argument. I said I didn't get the book... many people have explained more about it than is shown in the previews. It did not judge the book and call it a POS or what-not. It's been a good conversation.

And, it makes me happy that you're are passionate about a book you love. That is never a bad thing.
  • elliemay63
    elliemay63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I LOVED the books and am excited to see it on the big screen. My daughter told me about it. She has recommended it to her 6th grade students. And I have shared it with friends.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The books are AWESOME. You should give them a try :)

I am going to give it a whirl :) If only 3 people out of the hundred or so here weren't fans, it's certainly worth trying. I just needed insight onto level of gore, etc. I may not be able to stomach it, but that's just me. Law & Order SVU can push me over the edge, FFS *LOL*

Hey, different strokes for different folk. Nothing wrong with no like The Hunger Games. I absolutely HATED the Twilight series. Nothing can be said to change my mind. So don't feel the need to read these books if it's not your cup of tea.
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids.

And it was required reading for my son in his 9th grade Pre-AP English class.

Seriously? I was stuck reading tale of two cities, and your kid gets to read the most amazing piece of fiction I've read in ages?? Unfair....

These books are phenomenal. And I'm pretty picky with books. Please don't judge until you read it. I was the same way with twilight and then realized I sounded completely ignorant talking smack about it without having ever picked up the book. Granted, I thought it was even more ridiculous after I did read it, but at least then I was an informed critic.
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The books are AWESOME. You should give them a try :)

I am going to give it a whirl :) If only 3 people out of the hundred or so here weren't fans, it's certainly worth trying. I just needed insight onto level of gore, etc. I may not be able to stomach it, but that's just me. Law & Order SVU can push me over the edge, FFS *LOL*

Not TOO high on the gore level. Yes, it is there. Only a few parts that you can get through.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    try reading them. It took me just a little bit to get into the first book, but once I did I loved the series. I'm really looking forward to the movie (and so is my husband which is a shocker)!
  • betaleonis
    Options
    Dear god woman! The Hunger Games is an illuminating tale that depicts the power of love and human will. The book is about overpowering corruption, really. There is murder, and through that there is beauty.
  • DeniseAS
    Options
    opinions such as this should be kept to yourself. my theory is why bother posting it. obviously everyone is different and you'll get negative and positive comments. whether you like the book/movie or not is fine either way. i actually like it and I'm a good person, but it doesn't make me a bad person for liking something like this. it's called entertainment
  • DeniseAS
    Options
    Amen to that!
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I bought all 3 books and read them in like 4 days. I LOVE them. And I will def be seeing the movie. There is a lot more to the series than just the part about kids killing kids. You should give the books a try. They really are great books.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    opinions such as this should be kept to yourself. my theory is why bother posting it. obviously everyone is different and you'll get negative and positive comments. whether you like the book/movie or not is fine either way. i actually like it and I'm a good person, but it doesn't make me a bad person for liking something like this. it's called entertainment

I know, the OP is such a tool. We should stone her.

Like in the Lottery... good book.

Seriously, don't jump off a cliff. No one called you a bad person *LOL*
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options

I know, the OP is such a tool. We should stone her.

Like in the Lottery... good book.

Seriously, don't jump off a cliff. No one called you a bad person *LOL*

Agreed! That OP is so stoopid lol :laugh: