What is a burpee?

Options

Replies

• LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Well, I can see that I would fire you after the first day. I am the one that has to decide how far I am willing to go out of my comfort zone -- NOT someone I am paying!
    Like I stated earlier, I wouldn't ACCEPT you as a client if I interviewed with you once you told me it HAD to be your way. So firing me would never come about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Hahaha! LOVE!!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I've done Zumba on occasion. I really don't have that strong of an opinion of it either way.
    Lol, the reason I asked is because the majority of people I see doing Zumba look pretty silly trying to do some of the moves...................especially the ones that are "sexy".

IDEA Fitness member

347v5ma.jpg:laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Personal Training course atm and my teacher said that she NEVER gets people to do them as waaay too many injuries happen from them.
    Really? I've been a trainer for over 15 years and haven't had anyone ever report getting injured from doing them when shown correct form.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Maybe a name change is in order Health_Gal...

How 'bout 'Fussy_Gal_with_spineless_PT' :laugh:

I (like most) have a love/hate relationship with the Burpee. 100 in an hour session is the most I've ever attempted, but not consecutively - I think that's kill me!

A question for everyone who does do burpees, I've seen a few different variations. Do you all do pushups as part of the exercise once your feet hit the floor?
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

LOL I've tried whining, threatening to cry, even swore at him but he ignores me....He can obviously tell the difference between 'I really can't do this' pleas and 'I really canna be bothered' gripes as the twice I've really been struggling is the only two times he's paid me any heed.....I'd sack him if he let me slack every time I thought it got too hard...how would I figure out that I can do more than I think if he let me quit all the time LOL

Threaten to fire him, and I guarantee he will stop ignoring you!

WOW Are you deliberately misreading everything I type...If I really couldn't do them then I am sure he'd not make me but I LOVE MY TRAINER....the harder he works me the more I love him...maybe I am a sadist but that is what I pay him for...If I wanted to dictate what I did then I'd stay home and make my own routines up...hell short of firing him if he insisted on doubling his prices I'd still pay him (dinna tell him that though LOL)

Well, you can have him! I would not like to be pushed that hard by anyone, no matter how much I like them. I need to have enough energy to get through the rest of the day, and I don't want to use it all up in the gym.
    who uses ALL their daily energy in the gym? And what's the point of going to the gym if you're not gonna push yourself? I mean I agree, I'm not gonna do a burpee and if ANY trainer tells me to I'm shoving a 10lb dumbbell tightly down their throat. But at the same time, if he/she tells me to do something and is encouraging me to push myself WITHOUT YELLING OR GETTING NASTY then I'll curse them and the gods above but I'll still do it.
  • LisaCFSF
    Options
    I think the answer is quite clear...because they work and most people don't give a rats *kitten* about looking silly they want to do what works best

:laugh:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Personal Training course atm and my teacher said that she NEVER gets people to do them as waaay too many injuries happen from them.
    Really? I've been a trainer for over 15 years and haven't had anyone ever report getting injured from doing them when shown correct form.

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah... something to do with the joints :S although that is only one of my teachers... my other one told us to do them :laugh: they get results so i'll do them!
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    who uses ALL their daily energy in the gym? And what's the point of going to the gym if you're not gonna push yourself? I mean I agree, I'm not gonna do a burpee and if ANY trainer tells me to I'm shoving a 10lb dumbbell tightly down their throat. But at the same time, if he/she tells me to do something and is encouraging me to push myself WITHOUT YELLING OR GETTING NASTY then I'll curse them and the gods above but I'll still do it.

Agree...My trainer has never yelled or got nasty he is supportive/sarcastic/humorous/more supportive....He is getting the best out of me without yelling or pushing me past what he knows I can do.....10/10
  • dbfuru
    dbfuru Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The king of indoor cardio!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I (like most) have a love/hate relationship with the Burpee. 100 in an hour session is the most I've ever attempted, but not consecutively - I think that's kill me!

A question for everyone who does do burpees, I've seen a few different variations. Do you all do pushups as part of the exercise once your feet hit the floor?
    In Bootcamp and my TKO (kickboxing class) yes. In my "cardio" kickbox class no. Depending on my client (and I can read them pretty well) I may/may not.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Well, I can see that I would fire you after the first day. I am the one that has to decide how far I am willing to go out of my comfort zone -- NOT someone I am paying!
    Like I stated earlier, I wouldn't ACCEPT you as a client if I interviewed with you once you told me it HAD to be your way. So firing me would never come about.

IDEA Fitness member

Either way, you wouldn't get any of my money!
  • LisaCFSF
    Options

She used to be something like "RachelSno" same attitude though...

As for burpees, yes, push ups!
  • TDBrims
    Options

Nope no push up involved here
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

347v5ma.jpg:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, I do the pushup.

Health_gal_who_is_scared_of_looking_silly_doing_burpees: Try Turkish getups instead. You won't feel silly at all & they're much easier :devil:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Or your lip!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah... something to do with the joints :S although that is only one of my teachers... my other one told us to do them :laugh: they get results so i'll do them!
    Well in any exercise, locking of any joint will lead to injury which is why execution is important. If done correctly, there shouldn't be any real issues. Do 'em! Make sure that you got your form down pack to show how to do it!

IDEA Fitness member
  • TDBrims
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Awwww I think he'll be away crying into his pillow now......Anyhow I really should leave this thread like I said I would as I am getting to a be a sarccy *kitten* now
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do the pushup.

Health_gal_who_is_scared_of_looking_silly_doing_burpees: Try Turkish getups instead. You won't feel silly at all & they're much easier :devil:

Well then much respect Chris! 100 consecutive w pushup - wow!

You could try the turkish getupos, or you could just give her a crash couse in dragon flags - no one looks silly doing those!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Well in any exercise, locking of any joint will lead to injury which is why execution is important. If done correctly, there shouldn't be any real issues. Do 'em! Make sure that you got your form down pack to show how to do it!

IDEA Fitness member

No! Don't do them! You will wear yourself out and not have that energy for things that are less silly and useless!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, I do the pushup.

This is always an effective way to do get ups.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQUlshxO_8