Does the cashier make fun of you?

Options

Replies

• paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Really?? :noway:

This seems like an odd way to toot your own horn about your good food choices.

Honestly! This thread is crazy. "Get her fired." "Tell on her." What are we, 12? Just tell her yes, you plan on eating every bit of it and suggest that she try it sometime :-D
  • brenteesha
    Options
    Just ignore what other people say about what you eat, everyone makes their own choices about everything including their diet. If you are happy with what you are eating now and it's working for you then I don't see how a comment like that should affect you in any way.
    Seriously? It should affect EVERYONE. When you are patronizing an establishment and spending your hard earned money there, they have no right to give you attitude AT ALL. You're saying that when people judge you, verbalize, and make snide remarks to you that it doesn't bother you in the slightest? You need to mass market that happy pill you're taking because I've never heard something that sounds so out of touch.

Back to the OP... I sincerely hope you spoke to the manager, either that day or called at a later time. Everyone judges, but it only becomes a problem when it's verbalized. I'm sure you know that she was way out of line... I just hope that you reacted so that hopefully she will be reprimanded and change her attitude.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have had cashiers ask if I have eaten or how I prepare certain items or even give me suggestions, but never snear at me for what I had in my cart. You should let the manager know. That is NOT good customer service.. They need to know.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Really?? :noway:

This seems like an odd way to toot your own horn about your good food choices.

Exactly what I thought when I read this.

same here.

for the most part, they will never say anything...

even if you're only getting some KY, duck tape, rope, bowie knife, ski mask, some pipe fittings, some fertilizer, and some ammo..... they still dont say anything.
  • brenteesha
    Options
    Find a new place to shop (if possible); no need to make food shopping a poor experience, it can be fun when you find new things and don't get attitude! I love shopping at Whole Foods; check them out if they are in your area! http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/

Whole Foods is not in that area. Neither is Trader Joes.

She has Wal-Mart and Kroger at her disposal..............I am very familiar with the town she lives in.......

She does have a Coop to shop at in a nearby town which is 1,000,000 better than shopping at whole paycheck.
    "Whole Paycheck" instead of Whole Foods. That is hilarious! I don't think I've ever bought more than 10 items there because I don't want to end up emptying my bank account. Lol.
  • whencynstops
    whencynstops Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had one look at the things in my basket and then look at me up and down and say "Well someone is trying to eat healthy aren't they?!?" He also ID'd me for the beer and made a comment about the beer not helping. It was the first 6 pack I had purchased in two months and wouldn't you know someone had something to say about it!

He was an old man so I let it slide.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am not going to lie... I have reported mulitple people at our local Kroger. I can not stand it when somone has something smart to say about the food I buy. I have called managers out, I have called cashiers out. Nothing gets me hotter than to talk about my food. I don't know why it is such a hot button for me, but it is. I don't judge your junk, don't say a word about my food.
  • tnrown87
    tnrown87 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had one look at the things in my basket and then look at me up and down and say "Well someone is trying to eat healthy aren't they?!?" He also ID'd me for the beer and made a comment about the beer not helping. It was the first 6 pack I had purchased in two months and wouldn't you know someone had something to say about it!

He was an old man so I let it slide.

At first glance, I thought is said "He was an old man, so I let him die" :laugh:

Yeah I normally get dirty looks, like "as fat as she is, is she seriously going to eat those fruits and vegetables"
    Yes it sucks, but I have learned to ignore it because I feel like what I'm doing is important to me!
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Just ignore what other people say about what you eat, everyone makes their own choices about everything including their diet. If you are happy with what you are eating now and it's working for you then I don't see how a comment like that should affect you in any way.
    Seriously? It should affect EVERYONE. When you are patronizing an establishment and spending your hard earned money there, they have no right to give you attitude AT ALL. You're saying that when people judge you, verbalize, and make snide remarks to you that it doesn't bother you in the slightest? You need to mass market that happy pill you're taking because I've never heard something that sounds so out of touch.

I for one do not really care if people are rude to me or judge me,they can have at it. if im in the mood I will give it right back to them but usally I dont really even pay attention
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I for one do not really care if people are rude to me or judge me,they can have at it. if im in the mood I will give it right back to them but usally I dont really even pay attention

I think generally that's a good attitude. I've always liked the saying, "Other people's opinions about me are none of my business." However, when I'm paying for goods and services and I get an extra helping of snotty attitude through no fault of my own, then yeah they get to deal with a reaction. Sometimes is a bad tip. Sometimes it's a complaint to the management. Having worked in various customer service jobs, including retail, I know that keeping your opinions to yourself is just part of the job.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Just buy cucumbers and condoms next time and see what happens.

^^^:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:huh: <
    What I imagine the cashier's expression would look like. LOL
  • lr8812
    lr8812 Posts: 111
    Options
    When I started dieting and buying the healthy food, I would cringe. I was just this fat kid buying all this stuff that's "good for you". Now it's no problem, I'm in great shape and if the cashiers usually make a comment, there's no room to judge. Most of them just say "on a diet"?
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When I started dieting and buying the healthy food, I would cringe. I was just this fat kid buying all this stuff that's "good for you". Now it's no problem, I'm in great shape and if the cashiers usually make a comment, there's no room to judge. Most of them just say "on a diet"?

I'd have to say, "If you mean, 'Do I eat?', the answer is yes. If you mean, 'Am I living a healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life', the answer is yes. If you mean, 'Am I TEMPORARILY making changes to my eating habits with the primary goal of losing weight?', the answer is no."
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I did, but not for the same thing. First, this guy asked if my chosen handbag was for my fiance, and kept saying 'It really looks like a man-bag'. Then, he scanned through my tuna through - a cheap brand, I can't afford the expensive stuff - and went "Oh? Not pole and line caught? I would've thought someone like you would care about the environment'.
  • michaelgilstrap
    michaelgilstrap Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've talked to a lot of people who get wierd responses, and even made fun of by friends at restaurants, etc... You're challenging the norm, and although most of society has accepted the lies of whats acceptable in food, they all know their full of crap, and are going to feel bad when confronted with it. I would take the sneer as them feeling guilty over their lack of control, etc... and wear it like a badge of honor. This is the road less traveled that we are choosing.

And Cheryl, yours is different, thats just wrong and hateful on so many levels, and I'm sorry that happened to you.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I do have one pet peeve. (Only mentioning because of someone else's comment.) It's leaky meat. I don't care if you want to buy the whole store's supply of meat, that doesn't bother me. It's when a customer brings up a packet of chicken meat that isn't completely sealed and its juices are getting all over everything. I mean *everything*. There will be a puddle of raw juice on my belt, scanner, and half their food. That's just not sanitary and I can't help but make a face and do the dainty two finger pick-up. Maybe I'm being wimpy but we have plastic bags right next to the meat for this purpose.

I'm assuming you mean me. I buy very little meat and the kind I do buy is vacuumed sealed so there is NO need to put it in another plastic bag. (Having said that if I was purchasing leaky meat, especially poultry, I would place it in a plastic bag to avoid cross contamination.)

I was actually partially referring to Moonblood's comment. She said a cashier commented and was rude because she was buying a lot of meat. But you understand my point. If it's properly sealed, please don't make more plastic waste than necessary. I agree with that. There are the opposite people who put every single thing in a bag and it doesn't need it. But sometimes packaging isn't what it should be. It makes me worry for their kids too because it contaminates everything. I will hold up my line until I can clean the counter. Which presents another problem and isn't fair to other customers.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    i still find it highly amusing that in america you can buy ammo and a ski mask at the same place you buy your veggies.

amazing.
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    People have asked what an item is. And once the cashier laughed because I bought all healthy stuff and a box of Oreos. I laughed too though. I wasn't offended or upset.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada, when I was 23 I went to California on a trip with a friend, I thought it was amazing that drug stores sold beer.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    before i started eating clean i use to buy 4 energy drinks, a pack of cigarettes, 2 packs of gum, and some vitamin C capsules. and the casheir would look at me like i was crazy. so many unhealthy choices.