Replies

• Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    NOPE
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'd have punched her in the 'effin throat. Biotch...
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    i prolly would have told the store manager about the attitude of the cashier. who does she think she is to judge you on the food you eat???

This. Someone obviously didn't teach her if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. She should've just minded her own business.
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Shame on that sad sad person:frown:
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Dafuq? Lol pitiful cashier is pitiful.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I would have reminded her that her job is to ring up my purchases, not criticize them. I mean seriously. Does she have dirty looks and comments for people that buy condoms and lube too? How about cookies and chips? Or toothbrushes and mouthwash? I think her manager would probably want to hear about it. Treating customers poorly leads to them not coming back, that's not what the store wants to happen.

^^^^^^^ This!

agreed!
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    Hmm when i was a cashier, I never really paid attention to the things that people bought. I was more concerned with how I was going to bag them because I like to have some organization lol
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have to tell this story.

My brother hit a deer. In the head. Since we were low on meat, he stopped and butchered it (legal where he lives.)

He got partway through and realized that he didn't have anything to put the meat in, at all. So he drove to the nearby convenience store and bought black plastic garbage bags and a styrofoam cooler. The cashier sorta stared at him in a really, really frightened manner. He didn't realize until he left the store that he was bloody to the elbows.

At least he wasn't buying condoms as well.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i was a cashier and i didn't give a crap what people bought, unless it was all healthy stuff. I would proceed to ask what they did if they counted calories and if they went to the gym. Most people were very nice.
  • Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've had a cashier ask about items in my order before, but usually because s/he hadn't tried them and was curious. I've never had anyone openly judge my purchases, that's just poor customer service and will likely come back to bite the person in the *kitten* eventually.

Ditto! Especially when Anise is involved.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    She said "You aren't really going to eat this stuff are you?"
    Next time, stare directly into her eyes, tense your neck until your head shakes a la Henry Rollins, and speak the following words:
    "You will die FAT and UNLOVED."

Betcha a dollar she'll never do it again.

You win for name-checking Henry Rollins.

Seriously though, I've worked in many facets of retail and I would never be so rude as to snottily comment on anyone's purchases! You should report her to the manager or beat her over the head with a butternut squash. Or both.

I did have someone in the supermarket comment on how colourful my basket looked because of all the fruits and veggies in it, but that was clearly intended to be a compliment and it made me feel good about how healthy I was being.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my twins (I think about 7 months, they were 8pounds and full term when born, so I was huge), I was in line with a package of poise and $1.00 coupon. The cashier looked at me very funny, and I said, 'they are sitting on my bladder." we both laughed. I generally try to turn that stuff into a joke, when people pass judgement with a look. I just call them out in a funny way.
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    Never happened to me...what part of the country to you live in? I live in California so eating clean is common.

midwest. fried food capital.

I was curious as to where you were from in the midwest and discovered that you live pretty close to my hometown. Cool! :)

I can't say I've ever had a cashier make fun of me, but we just started eating healthy a few months ago and usually go to the automated checkers at Schnucks. I have had people comment when we buy our cat food, though--we usually buy 30 cans at one time :laugh:
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten comments on healthy food purchases, but I used to get them when I was eating unhealthy - which is just as inappropriate. I stopped shopping at a few places because of it. Just wanted a bag of crisps, lady, do I have to pay extra for the judgement on the side? No thanks!
  • BuddhaBelly79
    Options
    God this reminds me of the time I was preggo with my son and went. to buy my pregnancy test. The cashier looked at it and then gave me a lecture about how sad it was, and I was too young, and asked if I considered my options. I was 22, had been married and paying my own way for 2 years. Needless to say, she LOST her job. I also get questioned everytime I go through checkout with my cats canned food. They always have it on sale, so I buy like 20 cans at one time.......they always look at me and make comments....I get sick of it. And of course, they see me (229 pounds) coming through the lane with salads, fruits, whole grains.....and they look at me weird. Are these idiots not taught to mind their own d**n business!?!?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I also get questioned everytime I go through checkout with my cats canned food. They always have it on sale, so I buy like 20 cans at one time.......they always look at me and make comments....I get sick of it.
    The heck? I used to be a cashier. Lots of people buy dozens of cans of cat food. And why not? It's not like it's going to go bad. Especially if it's on sale. This is not even odd. Some cashiers must be really bored...
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was at the grocery store and had my usual assortment of the best foods I could find this time of year, and the cashier made fun of me because I had too many fruits, veggies, and whole grains. She said "You aren't really going to eat this stuff are you?" and when I said of course I am , she preceded to sneer and give me dirty looks. This happen to anyone else?

Sounds to me like she felt guilty that SHE was not eating fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
    I never got an attitude from the cashier for buying healthy food, but sometimes I got disgusted looks when I used to buy junk food. None of them ever SAID anything, but the look on their faces spoke volumes. In your case I think I would have had to report the cashier to the manager - dirty looks are one thing but speaking their disgust out loud is going too far.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    i still find it highly amusing that in america you can buy ammo and a ski mask at the same place you buy your veggies.

amazing.
    The ammo-and-ski-mask crowd doesn't eat veggies.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Really?? :noway:

This seems like an odd way to toot your own horn about your good food choices.

Nice. Really nice.:noway:
  • Jenmccabe
    Jenmccabe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was at the grocery store and had my usual assortment of the best foods I could find this time of year, and the cashier made fun of me because I had too many fruits, veggies, and whole grains. She said "You aren't really going to eat this stuff are you?" and when I said of course I am , she preceded to sneer and give me dirty looks. This happen to anyone else?

I work in the (Safeway) deli and I have alot of customers who buy alot of fruits, veggies, whole grains because we do offer those in our dept. I would never say something like that to the customers. Some cashiers can be rude as I've experienced that myself. All you do is just hold your head up and be proud of yourself making good choices !