How many women on here are lifting weights????????

Options

Replies

• worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights for almost 4 years (yes, I lift heavy); you're welcome to click through my profile photos and see the difference between before/after. I can honestly say that I LOVE my arms and back; something that wasn't the case in high school when I was the same weight but predominately a runner. I wish you could see more in my legs, but that's where all my body fat resides so....maybe eventually =)
  • lmoore9107
    lmoore9107 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I too am new at it and just purchased a couple 10lb dumbbells (I know I'm weak) over the weekend to started strength training...I can feel the burn in my arms.....can't wait till I can go to bigger weights!
  • carolynne0007
    carolynne0007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do a weight class once a week and lift as heavy as I can. I also do free weights. I pay particular attention to triceps which are hard to start off with but worth the effort. I am not bulky and I don't carry a lot of body fat but my arms are very toned. It doesn't take a huge amount of effort just be regular and push yourself a little.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME ME ME ME ME....HELL YA ME!
  • CLTRocks
    CLTRocks Posts: 10
    Options
    I have been circuit training with weight for about 5 months and love it. About a year ago I lost 25 lbs and hated the extra flab left on my arms, its so much better since I've been weight training, so that is a big plus. Also muscle burns more calories than fat, which will help you maintain your weight as you get older. And i just feel so good when I can increase the amount I can lift and feel that muscle soreness the next day-I love that! I think you should keep it up-it takes quite a bit to bulk up, don't forget to eat enough protein-you can't build muscle without it.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have been doing weights at physical therapy for 2 months now. I go there twice a week and do some weights at home. I only do arm and back strengthening exercises, because my injury is in my shoulder. Anyway, this is the only exercise I have been doing for 2 months, besides walking to class. And I have lost so much weight (~7lbs). I have been keeping track of my food for 2 years and this small amount of weight lifting has helped me so much.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights one of my favorite books I just picked up a while back has a lot of great information in it! The busy Woman's guide to Building a Sleek Physique In a Limited Amount of Time. Fast Lane to Fitness.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I lift! No amount of cardio exercises or DVDs (including 30DS) have gotten me the results that lifting has. Go for it! What have you got to lose? :smile:
  • Blueeyes1117
    Blueeyes1117 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I look better, not worse.

Keep doing it. It's fun. It's healthy. You won't bulk up if you stay away from the juice. :flowerforyou:

lol Thank you bunches.
  • ShrinkingSusan
    ShrinkingSusan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Your body will thank you and you will NOT BULK UP! Women, as many have stated, lack the testosterone needed for bulking.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    No one ever says "Wow you look really tone, but how much do you weigh?"

Just saying- lift heavy, lift often. You'll look better no matter what the scale says. And if you combine cardio and heavy weight lifting you'll lose weigh even faster! :flowerforyou:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    In my profile are my progress pictures. One at 161 last April. One at 149 in Sept. One at 160 a couple weeks ago. You go tell me which looks better.
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I lift and I love it! The scale may say more, but the inches are what count!! You will tone up like nobodies business! No bulkiness, just a nice lean muscular body!!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I'm doing P90X and have gotten good results... and I haven't "bulked up"... I'm just getting more toned! I don't think you have anything to worry about it! I think this is a very common misconception... :happy:
  • dezaraepeeples
    dezaraepeeples Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that's for weight lifting. I love the changes my body has gone through in just the 5 short weeks I've been weight lifting. My biceps are more defined (no longer "flabby"), my triceps are on their way there. I just feel like I look better.
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I just started and really like the challenge of it......
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Meee!!! 140 lb deadlifts (4 sets of 8 reps). :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Ok so, as many women i am one of those that is scared to be lifting weights due to i'm afraid of bulking up. I have however been giving it a go for the past two weeks but even though i have been i'm still freaking myself out about it. I'm so worried about the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" deal! I want to see the number on the scale DROP not increase!! Anyways, i'd love to hear different things about lifting weights and if possible see pictures of women who have used strength training to help them to achieve their goals. I'm so... confused when it comes to strength training. Confused and very nervous about getting big instead of skinny and toned. HELP ME PLEASE UNDERSTAND!!! :) Thanks to all who respond ahead of time :)
    Let's see weigh less and still look overweight or weigh the same or more and look thinner. Lift the weights. And make sure they are heavy *kitten* ones to boot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b
  • freaksfitness
    Options
    Women who lift are straight up hot.
    Old myth about weights making women bulky with oversize muscle is a lie. Walk into any Crossfit gym and look at the women who are regulars. Sleek, sexy with hint of amazing strength.:love:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've cut back a lot while I'm marathon training, but I can't weight (geddit?) to get back to some lifting!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!