Relationship Question?? Cheating.

Options
Just curious! What do you consider cheating in a relationship? From your answer to that, have you ever cheated or been cheated on? (I'm curious if this alters people's opinion.) What in your definition of cheating can be forgiven?

Replies

• KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Options
    Just curious! What do you consider cheating in a relationship? From your answer to that, have you ever cheated or been cheated on? (I'm curious if this alters people's opinion.) What in your definition of cheating can be forgiven?

In answer to your question.........another........why would you like to know? "Just curious" doesn't really answer my question.........in most cases curiousity killed the cat.........is there a deeper meaning behind it all? Or was your brain in the clouds today (not intending for it to have negative connotations......just wanted to know because it happens sometimes)?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, it's cheating.

I have never cheated. I would say that I don't think I've ever been cheated on, but I'm not 100% certain. I think there's emotional cheating. It's not just physical.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Cheating for me:
    Kissing someone else
    Having sex with someone else
    Written texts / emails to someone else with the intent to do the above

I've not cheated, nor have I been cheated on, that I know of.

But there are different levels to it, that I am finding hard to explain, so if someone else explains it better than I could, I'll let you know. :P
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    As much as I think Dr Phil is a tool, I think in regards to this issue, he's dead right: if you can't tell your spouse, or have him/her right there and you have to do it, what ever "it" is, behind his or her back, it's cheating.

It's really that simple.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    As much as I think Dr Phil is a tool, I think in regards to this issue, he's dead right: if you can't tell your spouse, or have him/her right there and you have to do it, what ever "it" is, behind his or her back, it's cheating.

It's really that simple.

This. Great way to put it.
  • Munque
    Munque Posts: 123
    Options
    I agree. Every once in a while, I get hit on at work, but I'm a big flirt too. I tell my husband EVERYTHING, and if there was anything that I wouldn't tell him, I would feel so incredibly guilty, and I would consider that being dishonest in the cheating category, so I make sure not to do anything that would jepordize our relationship. He's fine with me being a big flirt, hell, I do it right in front of him, he thinks it's funny and he the same way, so it works.

I have cheated on boyfriends when I was young, and the relationships were meaningless, can't even call them relationships really. But haven't done it since I've been all growed up. :)
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    i agree with the above posters. Anything you wouldnt do/say in front of your significant other is considered cheating. whether it be physical or on an emotional level. a lot of people dont understand that cheating doesnt have to be sex.
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, it's cheating.

I have never cheated. I would say that I don't think I've ever been cheated on, but I'm not 100% certain. I think there's emotional cheating. It's not just physical.

Agreed
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    To me, any kind of betrayal of trust is "cheating." It doesn't even have to be romantic betrayal. Willful failure to live up to the responsibility you have to your partner (and this is dependent upon the level of commitment you've made to each other) is infidelity, in my book.

But assuming you're talking about "straying" with another man/woman, I draw the line at any kind of contact that is made with romantic intent. That includes e-mails and text messages, as someone else mentioned.

As far as what I'd be willing to forgive, theoretically, I can forgive anything. But forgiveness and trust are not the same thing. If you do something that makes me unable to trust you, unable to believe you even when you're looking me dead in the eyes, then we're done.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Are we talking regular person cheating or Bill Clinton cheating?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    When we play Scrabble, my wife uses the American dictionary and I use the English one. I think that might be cheating.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    kissing and anything beyond is cheating. Yes I have been cheated on.
  • Antigone
    Antigone Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you have to hide it or lie about it to your partner, it's cheating. Period.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I cant stand a cheater and would never put up with one.

been cheated on, and its got me messed up even though it was a long time ago.

so DONT CHEAT!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    if you can't tell your spouse, or have him/her right there and you have to do it, what ever "it" is, behind his or her back, it's cheating.

Exactly this.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options

It's really that simple.
    Agreed!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Would you and your partner be willing to switch cell phones for a week? If the answer is no, one of you is probably cheating.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Very easy question:

My definition of cheating is doing anything behind your SO's back that you cannot tell them about.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    We don't lie to each other, period.

Exclusion of the truth is also lying.

If I've told little white lies to him in the past (or felt that I portrayed something in a way other than it was), I always feel guilty, come back to it later, tell him, and tell him why I felt that way.

We try to be very honest, it's disrespectful to yourself and to the other person not to be...
  • PenguinPrincess
    Options

In answer to your question.........another........why would you like to know? "Just curious" doesn't really answer my question.........in most cases curiousity killed the cat.........is there a deeper meaning behind it all? Or was your brain in the clouds today (not intending for it to have negative connotations......just wanted to know because it happens sometimes)?

Sorry, I was in the shower and it was one of the random thoughts that passed through my head. Don't have a deep dark meaning to share with you.