Restaurants to Avoid!

Options
15678911»

Replies

• elizabeth51608
    elizabeth51608 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Chili's!!!!!!!!!!! I was in for the shock of my life this past week...hubby and I went there. I ordered a salad, then as I was entering it into MFP on my iPhone, I saw that the SALAD HAD 1300 CALORIES!!!!!!!!!! Wow, I could not believe it. I changed my order to one of their "light" options, the sweet n spicy grilled chicken, which still has around 700 calories for the plate (chicken, broccoli, and a white rice dish). I didn't eat the rice but I still felt like I got calorie-raped!!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING on the menu is low-cal!!! I mean maybe a 550 or 500 calorie I can see...but 700 being the least amount of calories you offer? A 1300-calorie salad??? Seriously???
  • hls0415
    hls0415 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think Buffets should be avoided period!!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    chain restaurants, and pretty much any generic "north american" cuisine place - if I eat out it's usually an Asian restaurant (sushi, indian, vietnamese, thai, korean) or fusion/upscale, stuff I can't really make at home so I justify splurging every once in a while for quality food.

I dont count places like taco bell and wendy's as restaurants...
  • emfilomena
    emfilomena Posts: 120
    Options
    Chili's!!!!!!!!!!! I was in for the shock of my life this past week...hubby and I went there. I ordered a salad, then as I was entering it into MFP on my iPhone, I saw that the SALAD HAD 1300 CALORIES!!!!!!!!!! Wow, I could not believe it. I changed my order to one of their "light" options, the sweet n spicy grilled chicken, which still has around 700 calories for the plate (chicken, broccoli, and a white rice dish). I didn't eat the rice but I still felt like I got calorie-raped!!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING on the menu is low-cal!!! I mean maybe a 550 or 500 calorie I can see...but 700 being the least amount of calories you offer? A 1300-calorie salad??? Seriously???

I don't know about you, but there are some healthier choices at Chili's- take a moment to look up the entire menu and you'll see there is are "guiltless" options ranging from 480 - 600 calories a meal. It's up to you not to order sides such as fries, or get the bottomless chips as an appetizer (skip appetizers completely), and not order dessert or a high-calorie beverage.

If you're going out to eat, and you don't get the opportunity often, I say allow it to be a cheat day. With that said, restaurants easily serve 2 - 3 people portions in one plate. No one said you have to eat it all, and you can ask to have 1/2 of your dinner packaged before they even bring the meal to you. If your waiter wants that tip, they'll do it! Don't stock up on high-cal drinks, or order tons of appetizers and desserts, along with packing on the condiments and you'll be OK. Split the meal with whoever you're out with and don't think because the meal reads "salad" that it's healthy!
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The other day my hubby took me to ihop they actually have all the calories listed next to each meal. What a turn off, most were close to 1000 calories or more. Needless to say I didn't end up eating there.
  • DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    Options
    Olive Garden, never really eat there but I remember reading something about only a couple of options under 1,000 cals there too. I used to love Panera, never would've thought though that a simple turkey sandwich would get my close to 1,000 cals... until I started logging on here, to say the least I'll never eat there again. xD I here a lot of sammy shops are like that, you would expect it to be healthier but it's even worse.

I actually went to Panera the other day and had the half tuna salad sandwich (it was around 260 calories) and the cup of broccoli & cheddar soup (200 Calories). I was full after eating that and it was under 500 calories. You just need to pick the right things.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Panera can be bad but there are a lot of reasonable and very tasty options as well. Plus, you can get half portions of anything, salads, soups (cup), sandwiches, and that brings down the calories a ton.

yeah, most of my meals there are under 625 cals and leave me feeling fairly full. after subway, that's the restaurant i visit the most.