cursing + having little kids ==

Options

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    what kid/teen wants to read? I dont know anyone who reads for fun...
    Im saying id rather her not read, but, if she ever wants to, then ok.

Smart people. Smart people read for fun.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on these boards.
    it really makes me want to pick up my kindle and read a couple books ive been putting off lately >.>
  • BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    eh, not a big deal. they're going to be around it ALL the time when they get older.
    My parents cursed all the time too. & i also turned out ok :P

I honestly think its cute/funny to hear a little kid curse, especially when they mispronounce it...OMG adorable xD

Id rather have my little girl curse & listen to rob zombie rather than have her nose in books all day. EW!!

In the state of our country and the unbelievably decreasing interest for science and technology among our youth and my generation, it is abosulely deplorable that any person would want for their child to sit and listen to rob zombie and cuss.
    With that being said, I do not cuss. Not in front of my children nor in conversations with family and friends.. i simply don't because its ignorant and I feel i can more productivly get my point across without using such language.
    I am proud to say that my 2 yr old is his daycare class' role model for having the best manners.
    I want to be clear that I am in no way wanting to hurt or offend anyone here. I just wish that we would want more for our children. Lord knows they it. :)
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I make every effort NOT to swear in front of my kid and I fail miserably every damn day. I have explained that these are grown up words and they are not be used by children. This seems to work for them. It helps that my husband hardly ever curses.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Women and profanity is neither attractive nor classy. Regardless of your educational background and career, if your vocabulary is not extensive enough to where you must use vulgar language in order to make a point, you will appear as uneducated.

That's just f*cking ridiculous.
  • BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Women and profanity is neither attractive nor classy. Regardless of your educational background and career, if your vocabulary is not extensive enough to where you must use vulgar language in order to make a point, you will appear as uneducated.
    Amen! :)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    its a good thing im not concerned with how strangers feel about my choice of words ;)
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    So are you implying that parents that curse aren't decent, or loving? My dad swore a storm when I was growing up..I am now a mom, a teacher, and I'm currently working on my 3rd degree. (An EdS...it's a basically a doctorate without the diss, so I won't have the PhD after my name.) I coach my son's soccer team, we eat dinner as a family most nights, we read together, go to the park, laugh, learn and love as a family. Wow, my sh!tty dad really did a number on me, didn't he?
    I am kind of happy to be on the opposite side of her spectrum.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options

:sad:
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    its a good thing im not concerned with how strangers feel about my choice of words ;)

:flowerforyou:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    ...and better yet, I am glad I don't have friends like you either. All language is rich and colorful. Enjoy your black and white.
  • ThatGirlGlow
    ThatGirlGlow Posts: 68 Member
    Options

"You can pay for school, but you can't buy class"
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options

You've clearly never read one of my blog posts...I find that I manage a delightful mix of the coarse and the sublime. Really, I appeal to the masses. :laugh:
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    Really...there are so many more important things that equate to good parenting than cursing. I try not to, but do it anyway sometimes. And my kids are doing great so far and they have each used a bad word here and there to "test the waters" but they know they may not speak that way because it is not nice. I don't pretend to be perfect in front of my kids...they see me laugh, cry, act crazy and sometimes curse. They also have an awesome life and a ton of love...so I really don't think it matters. :)
  • ThatGirlGlow
    ThatGirlGlow Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    eh, not a big deal. they're going to be around it ALL the time when they get older.
    My parents cursed all the time too. & i also turned out ok :P

I honestly think its cute/funny to hear a little kid curse, especially when they mispronounce it...OMG adorable xD

Id rather have my little girl curse & listen to rob zombie rather than have her nose in books all day. EW!!

In the state of our country and the unbelievably decreasing interest for science and technology among our youth and my generation, it is abosulely deplorable that any person would want for their child to sit and listen to rob zombie and cuss.
    With that being said, I do not cuss. Not in front of my children nor in conversations with family and friends.. i simply don't because its ignorant and I feel i can more productivly get my point across without using such language.
    I am proud to say that my 2 yr old is his daycare class' role model for having the best manners.
    I want to be clear that I am in no way wanting to hurt or offend anyone here. I just wish that we would want more for our children. Lord knows they it. :)

:happy:
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    My 6 yo daughter was strutting around in my heels with no skirt on the other day singing "I'm sexy and I know it". Just seemed wrong somehow. I got her to stop:-)

LOL.........my 4.5 yr old grandson loves the ELMO version of that song - here, give it a listen. Your 6-yr old might love this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWF86D_UNxc

As for swearing? I tend to let 'em fly around friends who are not offended by that.....but have always tried to restrain myself around kids. They will hear these words, of course, but it doesn't have to be from me. As a Grandmother, it's kinda crass to drop the "f" bomb around my grandson, ya know?
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I try not to swear in front of my kids - usually the worst they'll hear from me is "hell" or "damn it". But they've heard alot from their dad and, sadly, at school.

They both learned to give the finger (kindergarten and a Christian preschool!) But they both also know it's really really bad and don't do it unless they're just trying to get my attention. The other day one of them was talking about vagina's and penis' in line at the grocery store. Embarressing. And the other night watching hockey on TV my 6 yr old says "Who the hell are all those people?"

They're gonna learn it sooner or later. I try not to act shocked as I think it brings more attention to it. But I just tell them it's a very bad word that kids should not be using.
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    i try hard not to swear around my kids (3yrs and 20mths) but occasionally they slip out as im sure most of us do and my 3 year old has repeated one or 2 by saying to me "can i say ..... mummy?" to which my reply is "im sorry baby, mummy shouldnt say that because its rude or naughty (depending on the word) and its only a mummy or daddy word" this she just accepts and says that she can say it when she is bigger! im not against people or women swearing its down to individual tastes and id never force my opinion on anyone else or pass judgement (its our own lives, swear or dont i really couldnt give a cr@p)

:tongue:

(should point out worse they would hear is oh ****, bugger....never the f word!!)
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    A flow chart?

Can I Swear? ----> Are you in a suitable environment? At home, or at a football match?
    >

Yes > You can swear.
    No > You can't swear.

:laugh:
    Is there a handbook and what's suitable? There are many different situations and interpretations of said situation.

And I swear for emphasis. They don't hear it often, but when they do, they know the *kitten* is hitting the fan.

I tell my kids it is ok to swear when it's part of the lyrics of a song.

As I said, at home or at a football match.

To me, it's about context. As I said, I'm not someone who swears in conversation, but if future children want to include that language in their conversation at home I would far rather they did that and understood that those are words it would be rude and disrespectful to use elsewhere.

It's not about these being 'grown up' words. I think that's terrible - the idea that adults are somehow different and can behave differently when it comes to language. It's not about being 'grown up', it's about being polite and considerate. I would rather swearing didn't take place at football matches of course, but it does, and I don't want my child to feel they have to censor themselves when all around them use bad language, nor should they have to go quiet (as you say) for certain lyrics of a song. UNLESS they're in public.

The home will be theirs, and if they want to swear at home that's their choice, just as everyone else in the household will have that choice, but that doesn't mean I won't be telling them the reasons I'm not a fan of swearing.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options

Whew! i was HOPING i didn't come off as attractive, classy or educated to anyone around me. Mission accomplished!!!
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have mixed opinion. I don't swear or curse myself. I think it sounds common, rude and thoughtless, BUT that's my personal thought and preference.

My fiancé does swear. Not as much as some, but quite a bit. We're planning to have children in about three or four years, and he decided off his own back a week or two ago that he was going to start trying to swear less in preparation for us having kids.

BUT I don't mind so much if other people swear, as long as they don't do it in front of other people's children. If there ends up being a situation where one of my future kids decides to swear, I'll let them know that I'm not AGAINST any words. They can swear in conversation if that's what they want to do, but they must always think about the environment they're in and never swear in public where others can hear. On the other hand, if my fiancé's taking them to football I won't mind them joining in the chants as it's a part of the environment they'll be in.

I agree. I still drop words in very frustrating situations, but I've definitely cleaned up my language a bit. I went through a bit of a swearing stage a couple of years back (probably less than most people do, but I come from a house without swearing), and my mom use to always say that it made me sound uncivilized. At the time I thought she was just being a bit of a prude, but then I had a couple of customers come into my work that were older people, accompanied by children, and they were swearing like there was no tomorrow. It really did make them look uncivilized, rude and common. I definitely cleaned up my language after that. Will I swear in front of my children? No. Will I freak out when my kids do eventually pick up swear words? No.