Anyone on a 1000 calorie diet? need lots of support!!

Options
This is my first time doing diet seriously, and i'm going to try a 1000 calorie diet for rapid results, do you want to join me? :smile:

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    But why?
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My Fitness Pal recommends consuming at least 1,200 calories a day (after you subtract your exercise calories) If you eat less, you might lose weight fast, but it will probably come back, as consuming too few calories puts your body into starvation mode and slows down your metabolism, making it more difficult to lose weight in the future.
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think that you are setting yourself up to fail here. Restricting yourself so much can lead to over indulging when you don't see the results you want. Starve yourself and then don't lose weight and you will be back to eating whatever got you where you are in the first place. This is not a sprint, it is a marathon that doesn't end until you die. This isn't about losing a quick 5 lbs to feel good, this is about changing your life to eat healthier.

MFP gives great calorie guidance, you should use it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    No, we do not want to join you. That isn't nearly enough food unless you are under a doctor's supervision. You can't really get enough nutrients and fuel on that low number.
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you're new to dieting and nutrition what I'm saying may sound funny, but it's true. Cutting your calories drastically won't make you lose weight the quickest (and certainly not the healthiest way possible). I lose weight faster at 1400-1500 calories a day than at 1200 a day. You have to feed and take care of your body to get the results you want.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    This is my first time doing diet seriously, and i'm going to try a 1000 calorie diet for rapid results, do you want to join me? :smile:

No Thanks, I like my lean muscle and plan to keep hold of it.
  • Embell0830
    Embell0830 Posts: 105
    Options
    If you are looking to be on such a calorie restrictive diet, please speak to your doctor, so that he/she can properly supervise you.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i know you think that drastic a cut will help with the loss - but im telling you that it wont work out as planned.
    i eat minimum 1845 a day, plus my exercise calories (sometimes up to 2500). last month i went over my net calories each week and still lost a pound a week.. anything less than 1500 calories and im a b!tch and tired and miserable.
    the lower your calories, the higher chance that your weight loss will be muscle along with fat, and thats no good! keep your muscles and eat :D
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I guess you can gather , it's a silly idea to eat so few calories. Try sticking to the recommended 1200 and see how fast you get results, you won't be sorry ( and you won't be starving ) I generally eat a 1200-1400 a day diet feel free to look at my food diary to see how much I eat. Add to that some nice long walks round th epark 4 or 5 times a week and the weight will fall off , please try and see the longer term picture. Good Luck x
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Well, let me think about that...my average intake of food last week was 1750 cals a day. I lost 4 pounds.

No.
  • Fergie21
    Fergie21 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Why the snotty comments from people?
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm not snotty - just sensible , I think people are more shocked that anyone would consider so few calories - I also think that people could be more advisory than judgemental though . This is a support site xx
  • Catz15
    Catz15 Posts: 19
    Options
    There is no short cut to success! Eating too less will make you binge eat and you will put on more pounds than lose! Count you calories and work out for more steady weight lost. Good luck :happy:
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't reccomend going that low. 1200 is a bit better. However if you are going to do it, like many I reccomend a physician to supervise you. I've known people to be put on 1000 calories before due to the severity of their obesity so i'm not saying is completely a bad thing to do. However keep in mind mfp has already put you in a calorie deficit which should give you results. Good luck!
  • Fergie21
    Fergie21 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm not snotty - just sensible , I think people are more shocked that anyone would consider so few calories - I also think that people could be more advisory than judgemental though . This is a support site xx

I wasnt on about you, but yes i agree some people just need the right advise.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Did you know that the regression rate for weight loss in the US is between 80 and 90%? That means 8-9 out of every 10 people who lose weight will put it back on again within 1-5 years.

Did you also know that along with that regain, the generally slowed metabolisms of those dieters makes them gain EXTRA weight on top of what they originally weighed? Typically about 10% more.

1000 calories is not a very low calorie diet - and by that I mean not one that necessarily needs medical supervision in order to make sure you don't kill yourself while you're doing it. But it is lower than recommended even for the most petite of people - you would basically be running your body on the bare minimum of energy it needs each day. I would expect fatigue, muscle and tone loss and perhaps other issues if you kept it up for long enough.

But you won't, because it's also just not realistically sustainable. Unless you are one in a million, it will frustrate you, you'll burn out, and like those 80-90% of other dieters you'll put it back on plus a little extra... so we'll see you again in a few years with a higher number on your mfp ticker and a bit more desperation in your eyes.

Not trying to be a *kitten* or anything but I see posts like this every day and now that 80-90% failure rate makes perfect sense to me. If you want health and wellness and a normal body weight, you need to re-adjust your entire relationship with food and eating. You need to enjoy good whole and lean foods, savor them, and feed yourself enough of them so that you have the energy left to be more active and work out. You need to love food, not avoid it. You need to get smart with it, know what's in it, know how energy dense it is, know how to maintain a caloric deficit, and most importantly know how to keep this new relationship with food balanced and healthy for the rest of your life.

Good luck, hope you make the right choices.

*vent over* sorry folks
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    what does MFP give you as a calorie goal? that's what I'd stick with :) or something very close to that.

right now my calorie goal is 1420, and I've lost 1 to 1.5 l s a week steadily since 7/11 (when I started at around 1900 calories!)

I don't understand why someone would sign up here then totally disregard the information given (as far as calorie goals). that's like going to WW and saying "no thanks, I'll eat ___ points instead". a waste of time!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

The first thing I suggest you do, is go to the stickied threads for newcomers and read them all, so you get an idea of how MFP actually works.

I have no idea how much you weigh or how much you want to lose, but for most people 1000 calories is too low to provide the required daily nutrition.

Raed the threads, get an idea on how it works, and what is best for you.

When you have a realistic goal I can assure you that there will be plenty of people willing to help and provide very good advice.
  • kschmi24
    kschmi24 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you're new to dieting and nutrition what I'm saying may sound funny, but it's true. Cutting your calories drastically won't make you lose weight the quickest (and certainly not the healthiest way possible). I lose weight faster at 1400-1500 calories a day than at 1200 a day. You have to feed and take care of your body to get the results you want.

Me too. I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400 and I have lost more weight faster. Your body is just going to hoard because it thinks food is scarce. Its a great evolutionary thing.

We say these things not to be mean or arrogant or to not be helpful. We have all thought that 1000 calories is a good idea at some point. I did that and severely restricted my fat intake for awhile and gave myself a gallbladder disease. Now that I'm going about it in a healthy way, I feel about 1000000 times better.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Be careful, the calorie police will get you. Be very careful. I would consult with your doctor or nutritionist and have them monitor you as to make sure you are getting a proper amount of macronutrients.
This discussion has been closed.