When I see overweight people running...

Options
I am about to start week 2 of Couch to 5k and I like to do my walk/jogs in a secluded area with not too many people looking at me. I mean, I know its something that I am going to get over with progress, but now I prefer not too many extra eyes. The park that I go to has a lot of people who park their cars without getting out. Awkward.

Anyway, these people dont keep me from doing my workout, never said anything. And I am down with the idea of ignoring them and working out just for myself, but to be real, this is what is on my mind, soooooooo I'm curious what YOU think (if anything) when you see somone overweight working out/running, and how you feel if you are the one working out/running???

Off to my run, but shall return!!

Replies

• worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    If I see someone overweight running, I think a couple of things:

1. Good for them! That's awesome.
    2. I know it's got to be harder for them than it is for me, so if they can do it, I can do it. When I see people working on goals bigger than mine, I find it inspirational. I should suck it up! If they can get out there and do it, so can I.

I'm not in the overweight category, but I'm sure someone somewhere judges me when I work out anyway. Maybe my form is poor. Maybe they don't think I'm working hard enough. Blah blah blah. But I hope I'm inspiring some people, too.

(Honestly, usually I don't even really notice. But if I think anything, it's the above.)
  • mlightvt
    mlightvt Posts: 12
    Options
    I think, good for them, how inspiring to see people take their health and destiny into their own hands, make a change, and improve their lives. Anyone can sit on the couch eating Cheetos all day but it takes real guts to put yourself out there and change your life, especially when knowing you might be at the receiving end of some giggles/rudeness from judgmental types. That kind of determination is admirable - so pat yourself on the back for getting out there, good for you!!
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would be impressed when I see someone overweight running.

I only started the couch to 5k myself, a month ago, and am very self-concious when I run (and even more when I go from running to walking and someone sees that), and I'm not even overweight anymore.
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think they're awesome for getting out there and moving. Nothing says 'I'm making a change for the better' than seeing a heavy person working out, like REALLY working out. I roller skate for exercise and I'm mixed in a class full of kids with a lot of their parents looking on. I don't really care what anyone thinks but everyone that has ever said anything to me was impressed by my efforts and thought I was doing something really good.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Running isn't about size. I run pretty regularly and have been positively *SMOKED* by runners of ALL sizes and ALL ages during races. Some are even pushing strollers! Up a hill! On a dirt, bumpy road! And I'm just trying to move myself.

It's all about getting out there and doing it. I love supporting runners of any size, any age, any - well, anything!
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I personally think its great!

I'm way more skeeved out by the folks who sit in the car at the park. What the heck is that about?!? In fact, a few weeks ago I took my kids to the park and took our dog. Dog was going spastic at the guy sitting in his car for a 1/2 hour. What is the point? There's nothing to LOOK AT.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    That's probably the most inspiring thing to see. If I see people bigger than me running then I have to ask myself why I'm still walking. There was a couple that used to run in our parking lot, once up then back down. That was it. At first I thought it was weird, but then I thought that everyone starts somewhere.
  • kraz4fun
    kraz4fun Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's motivation but discouraging at the same time. It makes me feel lazy! LOL I'm overweight and top heavy so I sit there and wish I had the guts to go do that. But over all, GOOD FOR THEM!
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else on this. I "run" for my sport, doing a 17k in a few weeks and a half in August, but when I am out training I see every shape and size. It gives me much comfort and motivation to see anyone running. When I am getting to a point that I want to give up, God has always shown me someone out there hitting the pavement too. Keeps me going, I don’t know that I would consider myself an athlete by any stretch, but we all started out at the same place. Those that are running the Boston Marathon started with not being able to even run a mile. So yeah, keep moving no matter what you look like.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I think it's good! I mean, the only way to drop the pounds is to work out and running is free and easy and available whenever you want. It's like laughing or judging someone who's at the gym and is overweight. Isn't the point of a gym to get in shape? I mean, come on.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If I see someone overweight running, I think a couple of things:

1. Good for them! That's awesome.
    2. I know it's got to be harder for them than it is for me, so if they can do it, I can do it. When I see people working on goals bigger than mine, I find it inspirational. I should suck it up! If they can get out there and do it, so can I.

I'm not in the overweight category, but I'm sure someone somewhere judges me when I work out anyway. Maybe my form is poor. Maybe they don't think I'm working hard enough. Blah blah blah. But I hope I'm inspiring some people, too.

(Honestly, usually I don't even really notice. But if I think anything, it's the above.)

^^^ This :smile:
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that since I have started running I notice runners everywhere!! and everytime I do I wish real life was like facebook where I could click "like" as I drive by and let them know that they are awesome for being out there and doing their best!!
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I envy anyone who gets out there and runs...I've started and stopped the C25K program so many times it's ridiculous for that same reason--afraid of what people thought cause I may "jiggle". I think I finally got to a point where I said, "who cares if people stares", sucked it up, and started at it again....AND I started running when I got to the gym (something I thought I'd NEVER do!)

With the help of the C25K app AND the Run Double app, I feel like I'm doing a good job running a 5K in 42:01. I told myself if I can do it 39:00 or less, I'll sign up to do one with LOTS more runners...

BESIDES, I've burnt more calories running/walking than if I did just straight jogging. Interval training is AWESOME!

Keep it up. Don't stop. You'll be completing your first 5K in NO time, and if you're like me, you'll have fun trying to beat your previous time...AND showing those non-believers that you can, in fact, DO IT! :-)
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about this too much. If I worried too much about what other people think, I would never leave the house! :laugh:

For the record, there are always folks much heavier, much older, etc. outpacing me. I am always impressed and find them to be an inspiration...
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I am always impressed every time I see an overweight person working out and running is an awesome bonus!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Overweight and exercising, that is not looked down upon by any means. That is a sign of determination, progress, hope.

I look down on people who "look healthy" but eat junk food and live lethargic lifestyles. We will be paying their medical bills one day when they are 45 years old with type 2 diabetes and needing a heart bypass. Even though they "look" healthy.
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I think way to go! but I have had those feelings when I started running that people were looking at me. I have the same issue with grocery shopping! Keep up the good work and forget what people think!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I typically don't focus on their body shape, I just see an active person enjoying the beautiful weather.

I went on a jog through my pedestrian-heavy college town yesterday and asked myself, "Why have I never done this before?"
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    Empathy and wishing them luck! Awesome that they don't sit on the sofa just talking about it, they are actually out doing it!

And when I am running, sure I get embarrassed, but pretty soon all my focus is simply in keeping going! :bigsmile:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't let anyone else hinder when/where you work out! who cares what they think - it doesn't affect you. Does their opinion make your life more or less valuable? Nope, so who cares. At least you're out there doing it. When I see someone (regardless of size) out running I think good for them. they're doing their thing! And I assume people think the same of me!