When I see overweight people running...

Options

Replies

• ataylo30
    ataylo30 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm always pround to see overwieght people running, It shows anyone that said person is active and willing to do things outside. I am heavy and a SLOW runner. I used to run in the mornings because I am a teacher in a small town and I didn't want my students to see me...how embarrassing!! turns out almost everyday one of my kids would say, "i saw you running this morning" and it was never followed by ew or way to run the speed of a sloth...it was always followed by, "man, it was cold...i can't believe you run when it is dark and cold!"

i soon came to realize they were right, and that i like sleep, so now i run in the afternoons and often on the track, where my students and their parents are very likely to be found on any given day.

keep running, and keep smiling, you look good out there!!!!!
  • billuaa
    billuaa Posts: 56
    Options
    Everytime I see someone running overweight or not, I always say "Get em girl" in my head or even out loud because it makes me proud to see others contributing to a healthy life style, i also find it inspiring, no negative thought here.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I think, good for them, how inspiring to see people take their health and destiny into their own hands, make a change, and improve their lives. Anyone can sit on the couch eating Cheetos all day but it takes real guts to put yourself out there and change your life, especially when knowing you might be at the receiving end of some giggles/rudeness from judgmental types. That kind of determination is admirable - so pat yourself on the back for getting out there, good for you!!

Ditto This!!!!!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm always super impressed and I hope they keep going~!
  • lissamok
    lissamok Posts: 82
    Options
    I can totally relate to the desire to run at an odd hour so people won't see me run.

To be honest when I see people who are overweight running as hard as they can, I turn green with envy because I think to myself: "Gosh, I really should be pushing myself as hard as they are pushing themselves." When I see thin people running, I pretty much just ignore them and step out of their way. Odd, isn't it?

Though, there is a thin girl who jogs down the hill as I walk to work every day and even though she's not going very fast, she is drenched in sweat and huffing and puffing her way to where ever she is going. She kind of inspires me because she clearly doesn't care what people think of her, she is doing it for herself.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm usually very proud and happy to see overweight people walking/running in the park. I know I don't know them personally, but they are doing something positive for their health and I am there to witness it. Then, I say a little prayer to myself that God might grant them the resilliance to continue on in their journey.

Okay. Now I've gone all 'Pollyanna' but yeah... that's what I think.
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    If I see someone overweight running, I think a couple of things:

1. Good for them! That's awesome.
    2. I know it's got to be harder for them than it is for me, so if they can do it, I can do it. When I see people working on goals bigger than mine, I find it inspirational. I should suck it up! If they can get out there and do it, so can I.

I'm not in the overweight category, but I'm sure someone somewhere judges me when I work out anyway. Maybe my form is poor. Maybe they don't think I'm working hard enough. Blah blah blah. But I hope I'm inspiring some people, too.

(Honestly, usually I don't even really notice. But if I think anything, it's the above.)

^this
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    We have a race series here in Memphis - it's two races every month for 5 months. Each month, the distance increases - 5K, 5miles, 10K, 10 miles and then half marathon.
    There was a guy out there for every race who probably tipped the scales at 400 pounds at the first one and was probably 40-50 lbs lighter by the last one - yeah, he pretty much did ALL of those races.
    So, what did I see from other runners? Lots of people cheering him on, congratulating him, high-fiving, etc. Everyone was supportive - we all know, where ever we are in our journey, that you have to start somewhere. And this guy was starting. I can't wait to see him when the series starts off in July - I hope he's back out there and smaller than last year.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    When I see anyone - overweight or not - doing anything for their health, my only thought is "good for you!"
  • kaleynichol
    kaleynichol Posts: 14 Member
    Options

2. I know it's got to be harder for them than it is for me, so if they can do it, I can do it. When I see people working on goals bigger than mine, I find it inspirational. I should suck it up! If they can get out there and do it, so can I.

^ I could not have phrased it any better than tihs. And I, too, feel judged by "smaller" people that I encounter at the gym. Especially the really young, beautful, preppy-type girls that are usually hogging the treadmill when I come in. :P But what I try to remind myself is that if I let myself feel intimidated or self conscious, I'm only hurting myself and further preventing the progress that I want to make for myself.

So, keep it up, and don't worry about what anyone is judging about you. Just know that you're taking care of yourself and that's what is most important. :D Best of luck!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I always think the same thing.

One more person just joined the winning team. Welcome aboard. Shine on, beautiful human. Get your pride and take it home with you. We're glad to have you with us.
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    I'm always inspired. There's a guy in my gym who I call Little Big Guy because when i joined he was probably about 250lbs. He must be 140 now. I often think of telling him that he's been a motivtor for me some days because he works SO hard, but as others have said I wouldn't want to make him feel uncomfortable.

That's awesome and you would probably make him feel on top of the world! You should go for it!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I think they are awesome for trying and it inspires me to get off my fat butt and do the same....I also wish I had the confidence they have to run in public. That is something I am still working on. For now, it will be back country roads, a treadmill where nobody is looking or in the middle of the night for me!
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm glad they are making the effort. But honestly I recently started running and I don't give a *kitten* if people watch me or not. lol I run for my personal goals and no one elses, just as I live my life they way I want to and don't care when people watch that take place. I'm a successful person in all aspects of my life. Whether or not I meet someone approval while I'm running ranks less than zero on my list of cares. RUN don't think!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, BUT you are asking this question on a fitness site. How many people do you think are here that would say anything other than what's been said?

"Fat people running disgusts me!" Uh, I am a fat person who tries to run....

I'm just saying. You'd have to solicit the opinions of those who are not fitness-oriented to get a full, honest picture of the landscape of thought on the matter.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't worry so much about my body size in general as much as the size of my "girls" specifically. I wear a 38-40 DD or DDD, depending on how the bra is made. I wear two sports bras, one with cups and the other just a standard sports bra, but I still feel them flopping all over the place. Not cute! :embarassed: :noway: I've always been self conscious about this when exercising, but particularly when running. However, I refuse to let it stop me. I do the best I can with the body God gave me. At least I'm doing SOMETHING to improve my quality of life instead of sitting on the couch whining about how fat and miserable I am.

FYI, to answer your question, IF I think ANYTHING it's that I'm glad they're up and moving around. Sometimes, though, I have to fight the urge to be "helpful" when I see the same person coming into the gym doing the same workout everyday for months at a time, but their size never changes. Particularly when they don't even seem to be out of breath after a one hour workout. This tells me they probably need to be pushing a little harder. I understand that it's painful, I was 297lbs when I started. However, if you don't push yourself to your limits, you'll never get strong enough to move beyond them. One of my favorite things to quote to myself when I hit a "wall" in my workouts is, "Pain is weakness leaving the body; and sweat is just fat, crying in fear for its life!" Also, "Mental toughness is vital to improving physical strength." :angry: <
    This is the face I make when I'm trying to break past a physical barrier during my workouts. LOL Or this
    >:mad:

P.S. Thanks for posting this. Maybe when I go for my run in the park this afternoon, I will feel a little less awkward about what people think when I remember some of the comments I've read here.
  • Porcelain1981
    Porcelain1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am overweight and I find running really hard (shin splints plus burning out very very quickly), I've a way to go to build myself up and hopefully wind up liking it.

So when I see someone my size running it makes me think
    a) they're great
    b) go them!
    c) I should be doing that.
    If I see someone bigger than me running, I think they are AWESOME.

Basically I agree with pretty much everyone here and....be proud you're doing what so many others won't or cant!
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    I have noticed that since I have started running I notice runners everywhere!! and everytime I do I wish real life was like facebook where I could click "like" as I drive by and let them know that they are awesome for being out there and doing their best!!

Ha ha, agreed! When I'm driving and I see someone running, I wish I could supportively honk my horn at them, like "Hey, way to go! I see what you're doing there, and I think it's awesome!" But I know if I honk at them it's probably going to be misunderstood so I refrain, haha.
  • Malrose01
    Malrose01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see an overweight person running, I think Wow, that looks so hard. They must be a total badass to be out there burning it up. Also, as a person who is in (but almost out of) the overweight category, it's nice for me to see a runner who isn't 114 lbs. I live in a college town, and it sometimes seems like 99.9 percent of runners are skinny blonde chicks with perfectly coordinating outfits. It's nice to see the process of becoming fit.
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options

This.