When I see overweight people running...

Options

Replies

• Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When I see overweight people.. wait that is ME!! I am 240+ lbs & I just finished week 6 of Couch to 5K . When I first started out I was intimidated by running outside with the fear of what people would think, but now I really do not care what they think. They can stare & watch my fat cry as I run for a straight 25+ minutes! Enjoy the show folks because this FAT girl is doing her thing. Actually, I was quite surprised at the amount of people who happen to see me pass by on the sidewalk that give me a thumbs up or nod of approval. Don't let your size prevent you from doing your thing. You got this !!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about having a t-shirt made that says (front and back), "I'm training for a 5K. Honk or wave to show support. :drinker: "
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Most times it's while I'm in the process of transporting my children somewhere. I think how awesome they are for getting out & doing it! I'll point out to my children what a positive thing that person is doing for themselves. I've been tempted to blow the horn, roll down the windows, & have the kids yelling "You're doing awesome!!" while giving them a thumbs up. I usually don't, because I know how cruel people can be, and don't want it to come across as another one of those people making fun of them. I will, however, say something if I see them while I'm out running.
  • sbfreak17
    sbfreak17 Posts: 42
    Options
    I think "WAY TO GO! GET ON IT!"

I'm part of the overweight runner category and this is how I see it...

I'm doing what I've gotta do for me...if someone doesn't like it, oh well! As long as I'm not hurting myself or anyone else in the process, it shouldn't matter to others whether I'm running at super model status or not. Granted, I can't say I always felt that way but now that I am completely and totally serious about doing what I've got to do, I brush off the occassional giggle I encounter...I actually kinda giggle at them too and think "If you think this is funny, you should've seen me ___ months ago lol"...the humor kinda takes the sting out of the negativity and pushes me to work that much harder...YOLO!
  • Shaigirl79
    Shaigirl79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I saw the title of this post, I just had to read the response! I am (severely) overweight and have recently started running. Fortunately, I have a treadmill so I currently do it within the comforts of my home. But I am REALLY getting into it and hope one day to be comfortable enough to move outside on nice days. I am SO self conscious, I just don't have it in me to do it in public right now. I would be too worried about what people thought. (I know, that sounds horrible!) So good for you for not letting it keep you from running!

It took me forever before I got up the courage to go to a running store to be properly sized and fitting for real running shoes. I was too worried about what the sales person would think. But then I realized... you've got to start some where! And thankfully the sales guy was great and super helpful!
  • smariere
    smariere Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who was self conscious about going from running to walking. When I was trying C25K outside before I used to run longer than I really could until cars went by because I was so embarrassed. Overcoming those issues though is part of my weight loss journey. What would be the point of losing weight if I still felt bad about myself? I know that when I see people who are overweight running I don't think anything bad about them. In fact I do find it inspirational.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options
    I have noticed that since I have started running I notice runners everywhere!! and everytime I do I wish real life was like facebook where I could click "like" as I drive by and let them know that they are awesome for being out there and doing their best!!

Ha ha, agreed! When I'm driving and I see someone running, I wish I could supportively honk my horn at them, like "Hey, way to go! I see what you're doing there, and I think it's awesome!" But I know if I honk at them it's probably going to be misunderstood so I refrain, haha.

Lol This!! I've actually done it! :tongue: About a year ago, I would always see this one lady walking around the hospital I live in front of when I'd leave for work every morning. And whenever I came back, 9 hours later, there she was again! Walking around the hospital, over and over. I'd sometimes look out the balcony to see if I caught a glimpse of her. And it never failed! It got to the point where I'd honk at her and give her a thumbs up whenever she'd cross my path! Fast forward to this year, this lady who once weighed in at about 400lbs is now down to 245lbs and can RUN around the hospital! Not WALK, RUN! She's amazing and truly an inspiration to me. She's the reason I go put on my running shoes and run around that damn hospital :laugh:

Who cares what people think! Get out there and do what you set out to do. No matter their size, when I see people doing things to improve their health or maintain their health, I find it motivational and inspiring.
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I actually saw someone today, within a group of young people all running down the sidewalk, carrying (I'm assuming fake) rifles and a flag as part of some sort of boot camp, maybe. The one trainer/drill sergeant was in the back with an overweight girl, who was walking. However, her cohorts weren't too far ahead of her. Whether or not this was the start or end of their run didn't matter. If I was a little bit weirder, I would have rolled down my window and congratulated her, but I don't know if that's insensitive or not. I would have meant it with all good intentions — I just get really excited whenever I see people doing something about their health. Especially running, because running is hard.
  • debharpell
    Options
    When I see anyone out running or exercising, I am inspired. Weight does not matter.:smile:
  • lvng_lf
    lvng_lf Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Running isn't about size. I run pretty regularly and have been positively *SMOKED* by runners of ALL sizes and ALL ages during races. Some are even pushing strollers! Up a hill! On a dirt, bumpy road! And I'm just trying to move myself.

It's all about getting out there and doing it. I love supporting runners of any size, any age, any - well, anything!

i know this feeling! I was almost beat by a (professional) speedwalker!! had a good laugh at the end of the race:)

I'm a sloooowwww runner and was very scared to start. now, eventhough i'm still mid to back pack, i love it!. AND i'm categorized as overweight!
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I think: good for them! Way to go! Nothing but positive thoughts. I used to be obese and i am still overweight but i have been able to run a half marathon! No matter how slow you go, the important part is to go!
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    When I see an overweight person running or speed walking..the first thing I think is, OH PLEASE DON'T TWIST AN ANKLE...I live in a small town and when you twist an ankle on the side walk and sit down/fall down....the firetruck, the police car, and the ambulance show up.....SO EMBARRASSING...!! LOL

It's also adorable ;)
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    I think it is awesome!!! I find myself wanting to get out of my car when I see them running and cheer them on:)
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    Whenever I see an overweight person running, I think Wow, that looks so hard. They must be a total badass to be out there burning it up. Also, as a person who is in (but almost out of) the overweight category, it's nice for me to see a runner who isn't 114 lbs. I live in a college town, and it sometimes seems like 99.9 percent of runners are skinny blonde chicks with perfectly coordinating outfits. It's nice to see the process of becoming fit.

IF there's anything that makes me, as a "normal"-weight person, self-conscious about my own running, it's those perfectly coordinated outfits, haha. My ratty t-shirt with bleach stains and knee-length basketball shorts aren't really the cutest thing out there. But oh well, I still get just as much exercise as the girls in the perfect outfits.
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am always proud of them! :) I want to shout "I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!" BUT I think that saying that may make them think I'm weird so I don't :) BUT seriously when I see someone who is overweight running or even walking fast I am proud and encouraged by them :)
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that since I have started running I notice runners everywhere!! and everytime I do I wish real life was like facebook where I could click "like" as I drive by and let them know that they are awesome for being out there and doing their best!!

Ha ha, agreed! When I'm driving and I see someone running, I wish I could supportively honk my horn at them, like "Hey, way to go! I see what you're doing there, and I think it's awesome!" But I know if I honk at them it's probably going to be misunderstood so I refrain, haha.

my husband suggested I roll my window down and scream "like" but again I refrain!
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    when i see an overweight person running/working out it makes me happy to know that they are working on it.

i was overweight, i know what its like to be heavy.

i wish everyone would be like us and see the light of how awesome it is to go on that fitness journey!!
  • Marianeyda
    Marianeyda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I see people working OUT, I find it inspirational. I should suck it up! If they can get out there and do it, so can I.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I always think, WTG! And, I think if they can do it, so can I.
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think "they're going to be skinny soon" :happy: