Do you think you can judge...

Options

Replies

• QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Topic: Do you think you can judge...
    ...a person's personal, professional, etc. life, based on what they portray themselves as online? Why or why not?
    Sure, someone's online persona is only a fraction of who they are as a whole person. But if that online persona is in complete control of the person (i.e., we aren't talking about private photos or e-mail messages published online), then that is what the person is being asked to be judged on.

This idea that "judging" someone, being judgmental, etc. is bad or wrong is silly. We all judge. It's how we determine what is good, bad, what we like, whether to pursue interests, etc. It's how our brains work. We need to organize/compartmentalize in order to make sense of things. We make judgments every day, all day long. Judging is discerning. We confuse judging with condemnation.

So, to your specific original question, yes, I can "judge a person's personal, professional, etc. life based on what they portray themselves as online." That's assuming I am considering someone in a personal or professional context. Most people online don't get that far into my brain. But if I'm considering someone in a different context, I am going to rely on my previous experience with said person. That's judging. I try to remember that I could be wrong, and that I'm getting a glimpse of someone's true self. But yes, I (and everyone else) still judges. It's all we have to go by.

Is it possible what you are driving at is whether it's OK to condemn someone based on those judgments, or publicly call someone out based on those judgments? Different question.

I however, feel as though I cannot form an opinion of what someone is like in their home life, work life, etc. based on MFP or any other site. I don't see what one has to do with the other, but that's just my opinion.
    This is my opinion - my judgment if you will - but I think you are kidding yourself. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't lying. I don't think you are a liar. But I think you are mistaken here. You may be telling yourself "this is only the online representation of Bob" but if you think of Bob in the context of his home or work life, the only thing you have to reference is your previous interactions with Bob. And if those interactions are only online MFP interactions, then that's what you'll use. I don't think that's bad. I think that how people's brains work.

For the record, I judge topics such as this as self-serving. Instead of posting your true intent up front, you drew people in to commit to an idea first, then posted what I've quoted above on page 4 of this topic. In my opinion, it comes across as you posted a very vague moral question without committing one way or another - as is you are simply curious. After lines have been drawn, you come in to state what I believe (judge) was your original intent: to demonstrate your belief/approach that seems better than other behavior on the forum.

I hope you don't take this as a personal attack. I am merely judging your own posts and what I believe to be your intentions.

I absolutely don't take it as such. Thank you for that. But, it was posted out of curiosity. Of course, I have my own opinion about it, but I would like to see why people with the opposite opinion feel that way, to better understand it, because, perhaps I am wrong.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Please keep replies to a 5 sentence max. I am having a hard time keeping up. There is sooo much action in here.

there should be two of you.
  • lesliemifflin
    Options
    I think the way somebody portrays him or herself online says a lot about who they are in real life. A lot of people act online the way the WISH they could in real life!

^ totally agree
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    Please keep replies to a 5 sentence max. I am having a hard time keeping up. There is sooo much action in here.

there should be two of you.

That would be amazzzeeeballls!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Bongs? Wow... reported. I so just reported you guys.

Reported?! I have my MMJ card, so uh... I guess you can report me for being awesome.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    ...a person's personal, professional, etc. life, based on what they portray themselves as online? Why or why not?

If it's a question of accuracy, I'm not sure why you'd think you can determine (rather than judge) anything about a person's personal or professional life based on how they portray themselves in person vs online.

Whether it's IRL or online, we all wear masks.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Reported?! I have my MMJ card, so uh... I guess you can report me for being awesome.

Last time I was in LA we spent half the time at Venice beach and I SERIOUSLY considered going in and getting my license...it's SO EASY.
  • angied80
    Options
    Soooooo.... I have chicken for lunch.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

Last time I was in LA we spent half the time at Venice beach and I SERIOUSLY considered going in and getting my license...it's SO EASY.

Here, we're allowed to have no more than a .4 on us without getting busted.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Well I think their are alot of people who act like douches on this sight that problay are reel douches in real life. They all seem to gang together. I wonder if they get together in real life as well.

Reel douches? Douches in the movies?!

Reel douches, like fishermen?

Like, holy cow! What are you? The spelling patrol?

Oh good one! I thought something smelled a little fishy. Also, I am part of the spelling patrol. *adjusts badge*
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Tacos?
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    IDK...... J? How much like here am I in real life? I think it depends on the person and the circumstances surrounding your personal encounters. Work Gale is very professional, even keeled, and kinda boring. But once the car door shuts at 1630, it is ON! I am blount, kinda spazzy and ready for a party......... or a fight, depends on the type of alcohol ingested.
  • angied80
    Options
    Well I think their are alot of people who act like douches on this sight that problay are reel douches in real life. They all seem to gang together. I wonder if they get together in real life as well.

Reel douches? Douches in the movies?!

Reel douches, like fishermen?

Like, holy cow! What are you? The spelling patrol?

Oh good one! I thought something smelled a little fishy. Also, I am part of the spelling patrol. *adjusts badge*

I think you need a night stick as well.. completes the whole patrol look.. :handsnightstick:
  • angied80
    Options

Tacos?

Nope, homemade chicken strips! I love em!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Tacos?

Nope, homemade chicken strips! I love em!

Ooo...yummoo. Better with beer.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    did someone say TACOS!
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    Options

...LOL
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    did someone say TACOS!

Everyone loves Tacos!
  • angied80
    Options
    Ill trade my chicken for a taco...
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member