Amazing things people say when you're losing weight

Options

Replies

• Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options

It's called hyperbole: an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally

Oh okay let me try one:

"You looked like a whale before"
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The only other well-meaning thing people say that has anything to do with my weight and bugs me to no end is "you have such a pretty face!" Yes, I do have a pretty face. SO SAY I'M PRETTY. That covers it! Thanks.

I have heard this my whole life and nothing irritates me more than this one line!!!!!!!

I have battled my weight my whole life and at one point lost 172 lbs, under doctor supervision, my best friend loves to tell me that I was WAY too thin and looked gaunt. That's just so kind.

I gained 100lbs of the weight back due to personal and medical issues and am now down to my last 50.

The other day my dad called me a food snob because I didn't have any junk food in the house. This is the same man who informed me I was built like a sumo wrestler in high school and has ridden me about my weight since I was 6.

Thankfully, I have an amazing SO and he is the most supportive and genuinely complimentary person I know!!!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    About 20 pounds into my journey Someone was asking how I was losing some much weight. I mentioned how logging my food helps and also training for a marathon. Then he says "no really are you taking something to help? " It was then I realized he was looking for that magic weight loss pill. I told him it was just diet and exercise. I could see he didn't totally believe me.
  • cbenzerga
    cbenzerga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. Right after my Baby was born 8 months ago, my grandmother was telling me all these things I needed to do to lose weight, bought me a body shaper, etc. Now that I've lost the weight and then a little more, plus toning etc. She's all "your getting too thin, is this because of Dr. Oz? A lot of husbands are mad at Dr. Oz, because there wives are getting too thin."
    Too much day time television Grandma? I'm the healthest I've been since highschool...if not healthier. I told her I just want to tone now, i'm not going to get too skinny, and she just scowles at me like I'm gonna look sick...I just LOL. Ps I'm only down to 141 at 5'6 Healthy BMI
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    The only other well-meaning thing people say that has anything to do with my weight and bugs me to no end is "you have such a pretty face!" Yes, I do have a pretty face. SO SAY I'M PRETTY. That covers it! Thanks.

I have heard this my whole life and nothing irritates me more than this one line!!!!!!!

I have battled my weight my whole life and at one point lost 172 lbs, under doctor supervision, my best friend loves to tell me that I was WAY too thin and looked gaunt. That's just so kind.

I gained 100lbs of the weight back due to personal and medical issues and am now down to my last 50.

The other day my dad called me a food snob because I didn't have any junk food in the house. This is the same man who informed me I was built like a sumo wrestler in high school and has ridden me about my weight since I was 6.

Thankfully, I have an amazing SO and he is the most supportive and genuinely complimentary person I know!!!

It's unfortunate, too, that the negative things are the ones we never forget. When I was.. maybe 13 or 14, I had a [naturally VERY thin] girlfriend tell me I "have such a pretty face, if you just lost some weight you'd be gorgeous." and I have never forgotten it. At 30 years old, I can still see the street we were walking down that summer, and feel the sting I felt when she said it. She was trying to be encouraging, not mean. It just went terribly wrong.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    When I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago I got it all!

are you sick?
    Is everything ok, you look thin
    Do you ever eat
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough, you are gonna get sick.

No, I am sick because of eating too much for years.

P.S. I eat 1800 cals.and I am losing weight and not starving myself.
  • bunnylvr
    bunnylvr Posts: 78
    Options
    Lol, after reading through about half this thread I am afraid to compliment on anyone's weight loss ever again out of fear of offending them. I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    now that I'm mantaining I hate the "oh cummon, you could eat like 5 donuts, you don't need to lose anymore weight"....yes I realize this, that is why I am MANTAINING but if I binge out I will gain which I do not want. It takes effort to mantain!

i hate this one! i decide what i eat. if i want 1/2 of a donut, i'll have one. but no, eating 5 isn't my plan... doesn't matter whether i "could" or not... there are lots of things i "could" eat... many of those things led to me being heavier.
  • VLaaber
    VLaaber Posts: 30
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight since ending high school (almost four years ago now) so much that people don't recognize me. As bad as it sounds I LOVE when those people realize who I am and their jaw practically drops, then they start apologizing for being jerks through high school.
    I also think the coolest thing is being told that you're an inspiration to someone, I got told that Friday night by a friend who is the same weight I was when I started my journey.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Its not that I don't appreciate the compliments, but I wish people would talk about something else with me. Trying to explain what you did to lose the weight, and listening to their stories as to why they cannot find the time to exercise is getting a little repetative.

THIS... or if they are not asking me how I am doing it, or how they can but making excuses, they are telling me what I SHOULD be doing. uhm ok??
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My Dad (I am 25!): How much have you lost?
    Me: 6 pounds (this was a few weeks ago)
    Dad: Looks like you lost a pound from your chin!
    Me: *facepalm*
    Me: My month 4 & 5 of Sensa hasn't arrived and I think I'm going to runout (I've been on my journey since 1/9/2012).
    My daughter: Mom I don't want to be mean, but I can't see you've lost weight.
    Me: Honey (no matter what we still love our kids even though I wanted to kill her) I've lost 14 pounds.
    My daughter: Really!!! Well.
    Me: *sigh*:huh: :ohwell:
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    what bothers me is the people that know found out about my journey they right away said oh i can see you have lost weight. come on 2 pounds you can not see. When i get to 25 then let me know. that's one reason that i do not tell very many what i'm doing
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My sister told me the same thing. After a lifetime of struggling with obesity I started going to the gym and was attacked with "Well you just want to be anorexic" or "she thinks she's going to be a fitness instructor". Then one lady at work (who also struggles with weight) said "I don't know why you're trying to lose weight. You're just going to gain it all back anyway." - To which I wanted to respond "I don't know why you're trying to sound intellegent, you're just going to sound like an idiot anyway"

Most devistating when I was 11 my father told me "you know sweetie you'd actually be kind of pretty if you were thin" - He meant it as an encouraging compliment - but my hormonal pre adolecent mind was crushed.
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    I like it when people make comments when I lose weight. I can't imagine someone that would be annoyed by it... They must be annoyed by a lot of things then.

This...

You may not be able to imagine it, but some people (me included) are very sensitive about remarks being made towards our weight. Its not that we don't understand that the givers of such comments have good intentions, and its not that we may find it "annoying" - personally, it just makes me feel very uncomfortable.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I like it when people make comments when I lose weight. I can't imagine someone that would be annoyed by it... They must be annoyed by a lot of things then.

This...

^^Me too
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    Posts success pictures online, enjoys dozens of responses,
    Gets angry when IRL people make a comment.

:heart: :drinker:

Totally understandable, but MFP is a liminal place - just sayin' :)
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    I am a big fan of positive compliments. I do get annoyed by condescending comments by people who have never had to TRY to lose weight. Or when you get the "You look so good now" and "you are so pretty now." That implies that you thought I was not attractive before, lol.

My biggest pet peeve is when people feel the need to TELL you how much weight you have LEFT to lose. I may set those goals for myself, but I don't like it when others do. A simple "GREAT JOB" will suffice =)
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    (Just this morning)

Neighbor: Ohhhh my Goood you've lost so much weight. What have you been doing? Ohhhh that is wonderful.. You've lost all that baby-fat from here and all here... *She says whilst pointing to my stomach and sides.*

Me: *Eye twitch*

She doesn't mean that I've lost the weight one would get after having a baby. Apparently I've been carrying around 25 years worth of infant fat in my belly. =3=;

Also I commonly get the, 'You don't need to try to get to *insert weight*. If you do, your body aint gonna match that big head of yours. (Got told this plenty of times from plenty of different people).
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

This...

You may not be able to imagine it, but some people (me included) are very sensitive about remarks being made towards our weight. Its not that we don't understand that the givers of such comments have good intentions, and its not that we may find it "annoying" - personally, it just makes me feel very uncomfortable.

You might try to imagine being over 200lbs for most of your middle school, high school, and adult life and the amount of cruelty you can indure during that time and then feel "uncomfortable" about people saying you look good! Not trying to be rude or anything but they are compliments! Be happy that people even take an interest in ya! :)