Amazing things people say when you're losing weight

Options
I lost 40lbs a couple of years ago and am now trying to maintain. There are some absolutely astounding things that people (usually skinny people!) have said to me while I was losing weight.

"Wow, if you lose any more weight you'll be a model"

"You've lost a ton of weight" (Me: "uh, I think 'ton' may be the wrong word..") "Yes you have! You've lost a TON!"

"So how much weight did you lose exactly?" (Me: "That's kinda personal") "So like more than 30 pounds?"

Anyone else want to share their own version of "Idiots Say The Darndest Things"? :)

Replies

• ladyfingers39
    Options
    LOL I think people are clueless.

My biggest pet peeve is when they ask...

How do you feel?? DO you feel great?....Uhh, i am the same person I was before. Sure, I feel fine, but nothing much has really changed.

That one just annoyed me no end. Like they think I have somehow changed my whole personality while losing weight. I am still me!!!
  • Diandra81
    Diandra81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You look so good....NOW! (Geee, thanks!)

Are you losing weight because of Jennifer Hudson? (Ranted about this yesterday, she is not the Black woman weight loss goddess)

You had surgery right? (Contrary to popular belief, people can lose large amounts of weight sans bariatric surgery!)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When I just started losing - had maybe taken off 30 out of the 100 total - my co-workers started saying things like "oh my god, you're so skinny!" and "you're disappearing!". Yeah...ok

At first it bothered me a bit because it was so over the top and untrue...so I actually grabbed my left saddlebag one day and said "really? then what's this?!" Then I realized that they meant well and it wasn't nice of me to respond that way so ever since I've just smiled and said "thanks!".

More recently, most people are asking if I'm planning to lose more and seem shocked when I say 20-30 more pounds. I'm no where near skinny - still have a belly roll and plenty of junk in my trunk. I think somewhere between everyone being used to seeing me bigger and obese being more of the norm these days, it's hard to imagine. I'm not letting anyone else's opinion stop me though - I've got a goal in mind and I'm gonna get there!
  • farm_mamaX9
    Options
    Right now, I'd be thrilled if ANYONE said something as simple as "something is different about you". But so far no one has said one word. That's kind of depressing to me. But then I try to remind myself that I'm doing this for me, my children and my husband, so that I can be healthy and feel strong enough to function every day. Oh well...
  • Makethefatcry12
    Makethefatcry12 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My sister (who has seen me overweight her whole life) told me that I am withering away and that I look borderline anorexic. I still have plenty of meat on my bones. I think she's just not used to the "skinny" me.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs a couple of years ago and am now trying to maintain. There are some absolutely astounding things that people (usually skinny people!) have said to me while I was losing weight.

"You've lost a ton of weight" (Me: "uh, I think 'ton' may be the wrong word..") "Yes you have! You've lost a TON!"

"So how much weight did you lose exactly?" (Me: "That's kinda personal") "So like more than 30 pounds?"

Anyone else want to share their own version of "Idiots Say The Darndest Things"? :)

I thought those were all pretty nice things for people to say, yet you call them idiots? Harsh.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight because of Jennifer Hudson? (Ranted about this yesterday, she is not the Black woman weight loss goddess)

LOL...okay, that made me giggle a bit!
  • carriecarrot
    carriecarrot Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like it when people make comments when I lose weight. I can't imagine someone that would be annoyed by it... They must be annoyed by a lot of things then.
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    I have recently lost a little over 20lbs but I am down a total of 45lbs since the beginning of 2011. People at work didn't really say anything to me and friends only said encoraging things like "I am so proud of you for accomplishing your goal!" But my family is the worst about these kind of comments. Like my mom said to me a few months ago, "Wow, you almost look as good as you did in high school." and then the other day she said "You're really started to get some muscle definition, aren't afraid of getting bulky and ruining all your hard work?" and I said, "What? How does becoming ever more fit ruin my hard work?" Her response, "Well you'll look big in clothes again."
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options

First off, Congrats on the weight loss, secondly I had to LOL at this!!! Yep, she was the first black woman to ever loose weight...lol.

I'm still laughing...I love this!! xoxo
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

I thought those were all pretty nice things for people to say, yet you call them idiots? Harsh.

You realize that a ton is two thousand pounds right?
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I like it when people make comments when I lose weight. I can't imagine someone that would be annoyed by it... They must be annoyed by a lot of things then.

This...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    My sister (who has seen me overweight her whole life) told me that I am withering away and that I look borderline anorexic. I still have plenty of meat on my bones. I think she's just not used to the "skinny" me.

I hear this one alot - and I'm in maintenance (and have been for over a year!).

You're just withering away to nothing. Are you ill? You look too thin.

*sigh*

I'm not too thin. I'm not withering away. I'm not ill. I'm just fine - all I did was lose weight, folks! Jeez!
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Careful, though. My husband and I have both changed a lot physically. However, when we look in the mirror, we see the tummy pouch or the love handles-we don't see the progress as much as others do. Helps me to understand (a little) how people can become anorexic.
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    Years ago, while I was losing weight, a friend of ours, a guy, said, "You have a pretty face, I can hardly wait to see the rest of you that you've been hiding in there." He said that as he was standing with us, looking deeply into my eyes.

Nowadays nobody says anything. I think I need to lose more weight before the comments start coming in. But I'm older now and more outspoken than I used to be, and m friends are mostly older, so I doubt I'll hear much more than "did you lose weight?" well, for a while. After I've lost 100 pounds, I may hear yet more.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    my aunt who came to visit us.. who i havent seen in like 5 years... cried hysterically and said i am disappearing and i am soooooo thin and she cant stop staring at me. man i felt awkward as ****. lol
  • skinnydream115
    Options
    Lol so this is about my mom she lost probably around 30 pounds and she looked way good, and shes already beautiful but anyways she works with all women and she was called into the her bosses office and was told she can't talk about how much weight she lost or anything haa its like they were jealous she would get compliments everyday from people I mean yeah it would have to be getting old but I just think its funny she couldnt talk about her weight loss lol.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Posts success pictures online, enjoys dozens of responses,
    Gets angry when IRL people make a comment.

:heart: :drinker:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    "I bet you're hideous naked, now"

:(
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Posts success pictures online, enjoys dozens of responses,
    Gets angry when IRL people make a comment.

:heart: :drinker:

this is my life. :drinker: