cardio...........no thanks

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to do cardio but I enjoy participating in 5k races. It keeps me focused on completing a race a month. So I am always TRAINING for another race.

this. i hate hate hate cardio by itself. but i am competitive so i will do cardio in order to train for 5K, 10K (and september's tough mudder) because i know i will need to have to run for a while. 10K is my max, i'd never do a marathon or any other endurance type event

personally i'd much rather pick up something heavy
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I am starting to come to the conclusion cardio is futile for weight loss. The key is diet, diet, diet. I have been lifting 30-45mins 3x a week, no cardio, and i have been losing on average about 3lbs a week.

Hardly futile. It means i can eat more, thus making me happier, eating more of what i enjoy, while maintaining my macros and deficit, thus meaning i really dont feel like this is work, and more likely to stick with it! :D
  • jrdennis13
    Options
    I do it for the zombies...When they come, weights won't help you outrun them...
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    completely agree.

u look at sprinters n they look fit, toned, musculay, young n healthy............... compare that to a marathon long distance runner :ohwell:

(my opinion though)

I am in training for my 5th full marathon.....so do I look awful?
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    Just wanted to add that I also lift (heavy) weights at least 2x a week. When I'm not in training for a marathon I run much less (and don't replace it with other cardio) and lift more. When my June marathon is over I plan to do NROLFW. It's all about balance, but I love to run so I'm not about to give it up.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I agree with this post in a way, that there a lot of people that think you have to run to lose weight.

I see people running out on the streets who look like they just want to die, and I want to tell them they don't have to run - walking can be just as effective.

(Of course I see people who look like the love running too, and good for them!)

Everyone has their own goals, and I admire people who actually like running. But that's not me, and I haven't had any problems losing weight/getting in shape by not running. It's totally a matter of what you LIKE doing.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I am starting to come to the conclusion cardio is futile for weight loss. The key is diet, diet, diet. I have been lifting 30-45mins 3x a week, no cardio, and i have been losing on average about 3lbs a week.

Hardly futile. It means i can eat more, thus making me happier, eating more of what i enjoy, while maintaining my macros and deficit, thus meaning i really dont feel like this is work, and more likely to stick with it! :D

That's an illusion, increase energy expenditure leads to increased appetite. The thing with weight training compared to cardio is you get benefits in terms of LBM gains. Which of course burns more calories. If 2 people exercised for 10yrs, 1 person did resistance training, and another did cardio. Lets say the person who did resistance gained on average 20lbs in those 5yrs of muscle.

What happens if both of them stop working out at the same time? Cardio effects go out the window, resistance training effects last longer.

I'll agree with you with the "futile" i could have used something else.

Oh trust me, i know the theory, and i agree. But, for the purposes of fat loss and getting fit, cardio will have an effect. I dont have an increased appetite after cardio, everyone is different. I really feel it on days i dont exercise, as i like my food.

Don't get me wrong, i know lifting is good, important, and can indeed make cardio unnecessary, where it not for the health benefits to your body. Just don't force yourself to do cardio because you think it's the only way.
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    I agree with this post in a way, that there a lot of people that think you have to run to lose weight.

I see people running out on the streets who look like they just want to die, and I want to tell them they don't have to run - walking can be just as effective.

Everyone has their own goals, and I admire people who actually like running. But that's not me, and I haven't had any problems losing weight/getting in shape by not running. It's totally a matter of what you LIKE doing.

I agree...you should do what you enjoy.

But the OP and the 2nd poster both made references to "not wanting to look like a marathon runner" - I'm just curious as to what is so awful-looking about us marathoners? Of course people of all shapes & sizes run marathons so that blanket statement confuses me. I've toed the start line of all 4 of my marathons with people of all shapes, sizes, weights and builds so I'm curious what the general idea of a marathon runner looking like is?
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

That's all it is, dude. Finding what you ENJOY. Any activity is good for you in some way. Do what you like, not what you think will be effective.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

But the OP and the 2nd poster both made references to "not wanting to look like a marathon runner" - I'm just curious as to what is so awful-looking about us marathoners? Of course people of all shapes & sizes run marathons so that blanket statement confuses me. I've toed the start line of all 4 of my marathons with people of all shapes, sizes, weights and builds so I'm curious what the general idea of a marathon runner looking like is?

Perhaps they're refering to me the fat runner LOL
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I just want everyone to have fun! If you like to run, run, if you like to lift, lift. But there are many people that think they HAVE to sit on that treadmill all day to see results..........and its not the case.

I once asked my powerflifting coach in H.S. why we never ran or did any type of cardio, his response to me was:

"You want to look like a runner, then run, you want to look like a lifter, then lift."
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    completely agree.

u look at sprinters n they look fit, toned, musculay, young n healthy............... compare that to a marathon long distance runner :ohwell:

(my opinion though)

Do you?

That being said, it's really not fair to make such comparisons.

Sprinters do a lot of compound movements. I am talking heavy squatting, etc. So they get those bodies from the heavy lifting and sprinting.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I just want everyone to have fun! If you like to run, run, if you like to lift, lift. But there are many people that think they HAVE to sit on that treadmill all day to see results..........and its not the case.

I once asked my powerflifting coach in H.S. why we never ran or did any type of cardio, his response to me was:

"You want to look like a runner, then run, you want to look like a lifter, then lift."
    Agreed 100% If you're doing cardio to lose weight, you're doing it wrong.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Options

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think the generalisation of a marathon runner is really lean, and "skinny" with not as much muscle as say a lifter. Of course that's a total generalisation, and everyone is different. But I think that's what he means.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Most marathon runners, while obviously very fit, often have a very different look than sprinters and short track runners.

Typical marathoner physique (very slim, very low body fat, very little muscle and looks awesome):

6a00d83451b18a69e20105357692bc970c-500wi

Typical sprinter physique (not slim, low body fat but more than marathoner, quite a bit of muscle in the legs and abs and looks awesome):

36184_w400xh600.jpg

Both look great to me, but different.

FWIW, I think you look great, but I am going for a more muscular physique than you. Each person has their own goals.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Options

Most marathon runners, while obviously very fit, often have a very different look than sprinters and short track runners.

Typical marathoner physique (very slim, very low body fat, very little muscle and looks awesome):

Typical sprinter physique (not slim, low body fat but more than marathoner, quite a bit of muscle in the legs and abs and looks awesome):

FWIW, I think you look great, but I am going for a more muscular physique than you. Each person has their own goals.

Yes, totally agree with this. It's all about your own personal goals.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    First I was like :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
    Then I was like :glasses: :glasses: :glasses: :glasses:
    Now I'm like:ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:
    But more so :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent:
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running, but as someone else said.. I do it mainly for zombies. Its my motivation for doing lots of things. I am going to start regularly rock climbing soon, Im not getting eaten! You cardio haters are going to be the first to go!
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    completely agree.

(my opinion though)

Do you?

That being said, it's really not fair to make such comparisons.

Sprinters do a lot of compound movements. I am talking heavy squatting, etc. So they get those bodies from the heavy lifting and sprinting.

I don't think I look awful....I think I look darn good for a 34-year-old who has had 2 kids. I've worked for this body and I'm proud of it!
  • AntWrig
    Options

6a00d83451b18a69e20105357692bc970c-500wi

36184_w400xh600.jpg

Yes, totally agree with this. It's all about your own personal goals.
    Great post but I believe people are missing the point.

The point is cardio as means of weight loss is foolish. However, millions of people still do every day. Then they wonder why the still look fat. Cardio is not good choice for body composition due to high amounts of cortisol. Weight lifting and sprinting produces cortisol as well, however both also produce testosterone which blunts cortisol production.

I will never, ever, ever get on a treadmill again to lose weight. However, I do plan on sprinting because I enjoy it. Oh and I will eat those calories back.