may as well just sit on my bum

Options

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    what is the point to exercise if you have to eat the cals burnt back?, may as well sit on my bum, do nothing and enjoy the cals

hmm okay... sorry i forgot why do i exercise?

let's see... it gives me energy, endorphins, it has completely cleared my depression and anxiety, given me something to live for, and saved my life? helps metabolism. PLUS i am a size 12 now 10kgs heavier than when i was a size 16! good enough answer for you?
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Which information are you disagreeing with? I got the research from college anatomy and physiology classes, and the dietary information from nutrition classes. Also, in conversing with biochemists over the last few years. Of course I was simplifying things a bit. Increased heart rate, adrenaline, blood oxygen levels and protein which are coded for specific enzymes are more are all involved.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    banghead.gif

and again why do this to peeps its not nice and not even funny, also you say on your profile youve suffered depression well then surely you would know how things like this can bring peeps down

I don't even see the question you are asking in this post. If you don't want to eat them back, then don't. I don't agree with it, but why make a thread to just argue with everyone?
    Don't bring my mental wellbeing into this... considering my depression was actually an imbalance in my brain.

And btw... you know how I overcame my depression? EXERCISE. That a good enough to reason to not sit on your bum all day?
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If you don't want people to comment on your diary, then by all means make it private. If you have people on your friends list that make negative comments or harp on your calories, then get rid of them. If you are saying this is what is working for you and your tired of arguing about it then keep on doing what works for you.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    In my OPINION the best thing seems to be to:

Get over it. The OP needs to stop acting like a child on the playground who is being picked on and start acting like the mature grandmother she says she is. Her 'side' needs to stop speaking for others. 'The other side' needs to let it go too bc they aren't convincing anyone, as we are all so strong in our convictions. Everyone, on both sides, needs to lick their wounds without comment and move along. Snide swipes are on both sides, so call it a truce.

But that's just my opinion.

(on a side note, I eat back my calories and am thankful for that option! At first it was hard bc I was in a 'eat less' mindset but now that the novelty of dieting wore off and has turned into a lifestyle, eating back is easier and helpful for evening out my 'spike days)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It is important to understand that your muscles store a bit of energy and that is what they use during the first 15-20 minutes of exercise. When those reserves are gone, your body then calls on fat to be released to provide energy to your muscles. This is the reason why you use more calories with increased muscle mass., and why it is better to do a couple of 30 minute workouts in a day than to do one longer one. The process of emptying the muscles of the reserved energy and replacing it with the stored body fat is critical for the body. Once your body becomes familiar with this exchange, it becomes quicker to do so. It is also why a high lean protein meal after a workout is desirable, as opposed to a carbohydrate. Eating carbs after a workout will only be converted to sugar for energy to be stored in muscles. You want your body to convert the fat stored.

I don't think you're right here, where did you get your information?
    Which information are you disagreeing with? I got the research from college anatomy and physiology classes, and the dietary information from nutrition classes. Also, in conversing with biochemists over the last few years. Of course I was simplifying things a bit. Increased heart rate, adrenaline, blood oxygen levels and protein which are coded for specific enzymes are more are all involved.

I had thought replenishing glycogen from food sources was desirable after a workout and helped with recovery. I also thought that the difference between two X-duration workouts per day had no discernible advantage over one 2X-duration workout in terms of improving fat burning efficiency. It's entirely possible that I'm wrong or misread or something, hence asking where you got that information.
  • missbabygirlx
    Options
    obviously me so im a stupid, couch surfer who cannot spell or use grammar, and obviously too thick to find the answer to questions in other topics, and im supoosed to take advice from these bullies, to those who respectfully answered my question I thank them to the others please be kinder to peeps in future as you can seriously hurt people
    I'm getting a little tired of this. I originally made the post about your lack of punctuation. It was VERY respectful. I made the comment not because I was critical of your language skills, but because I can't understand you. I made that very clear.

Yet instead of making the slightest effort to express yourself better, you scream and cry about people being mean to you.

And yeah, NOW I'm being mean. You want people to help but make not the tiniest effort to help yourself. You deserve whatever mean comments you get here.

Did it ever occur to you that YOU are being hurtful to others who are trying to help? Because you are.

Funny how u say you cant understand her yet you seem to reply all the time?
    Plus whats so hard about reading text on a computer whether there is "Punctuation" being used or not its not hard to read a sentence without full stops and stuff not like your reading a letter thats been written to you with poor handwriting it couldnt be made any easier
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    obviously me so im a stupid, couch surfer who cannot spell or use grammar, and obviously too thick to find the answer to questions in other topics, and im supoosed to take advice from these bullies, to those who respectfully answered my question I thank them to the others please be kinder to peeps in future as you can seriously hurt people
    I'm getting a little tired of this. I originally made the post about your lack of punctuation. It was VERY respectful. I made the comment not because I was critical of your language skills, but because I can't understand you. I made that very clear.

Yet instead of making the slightest effort to express yourself better, you scream and cry about people being mean to you.

And yeah, NOW I'm being mean. You want people to help but make not the tiniest effort to help yourself. You deserve whatever mean comments you get here.

Did it ever occur to you that YOU are being hurtful to others who are trying to help? Because you are.

Funny how u say you cant understand her yet you seem to reply all the time?
    Plus whats so hard about reading text on a computer whether there is "Punctuation" being used or not its not hard to read a sentence without full stops and stuff not like your reading a letter thats been written to you with poor handwriting it couldnt be made any easier

Way to go! Defend that illiteracy!
  • LPCoder
    Options
    It is important to understand that your muscles store a bit of energy and that is what they use during the first 15-20 minutes of exercise. When those reserves are gone, your body then calls on fat to be released to provide energy to your muscles. This is the reason why you use more calories with increased muscle mass., and why it is better to do a couple of 30 minute workouts in a day than to do one longer one. The process of emptying the muscles of the reserved energy and replacing it with the stored body fat is critical for the body. Once your body becomes familiar with this exchange, it becomes quicker to do so. It is also why a high lean protein meal after a workout is desirable, as opposed to a carbohydrate. Eating carbs after a workout will only be converted to sugar for energy to be stored in muscles. You want your body to convert the fat stored.

I had thought replenishing glycogen from food sources was desirable after a workout and helped with recovery. I also thought that the difference between two X-duration workouts per day had no discernible advantage over one 2X-duration workout in terms of improving fat burning efficiency. It's entirely possible that I'm wrong or misread or something, hence asking where you got that information.

Of course if you are training for specific athletic goals like running a marathon, or are in good physical condition then replacing your energy with carbs is important. thus the reason runners carbo load for a run. I am addressing the average overweight sedentary person.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Of course if you are training for specific athletic goals like running a marathon, or are in good physical condition then replacing your energy with carbs is important. thus the reason runners carbo load for a run. I am addressing the average overweight sedentary person.

For someone engaged in a heavy lifting routine (like myself) do you think that taking in some carbs post workout is a 'good' idea to aid in recovery, even if they are overweight (as I am, working on cutting now)? I guess that was the part that surprised me about your comment, and I would appreciate your opinion in that regard. Definitely understandable if your statement wasn't targeted at someone engaged in the sorts of activities that I am.
  • rockinsue285
    Options
    what is the point to exercise if you have to eat the cals burnt back?, may as well sit on my bum, do nothing and enjoy the cals

hmm okay... sorry i forgot why do i exercise?

let's see... it gives me energy, endorphins, it has completely cleared my depression and anxiety, given me something to live for, and saved my life? helps metabolism. PLUS i am a size 12 now 10kgs heavier than when i was a size 16! good enough answer for you?
  • rockinsue285
    Options
    fed up of repeating myself as no-one reads it anyway but I DO EXERCISE JUST WANTED TO KNOW THE IMPORTANCE OF EATING THOSE CALS BACK
  • rockinsue285
    Options
    Do you know what I just dont care anymore if its not my punctuation its something else go rip some-one else apart
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    fed up of repeating myself as no-one reads it anyway but I DO EXERCISE JUST WANTED TO KNOW THE IMPORTANCE OF EATING THOSE CALS BACK

You eat the calories because MFP does not factor in the amount of exercise you SAY you're going to do into your calorie goal. It only adds it in after you've logged the exercise. You eat the calories to keep your goal calorie deficit the same.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

It is pretty normal, in a long internet thread, for people to reply repeatedly to only the original post; they do not read the entire conversation. Trying to change this behaviour (which is widespread on forums, not just on MFP) really WOULD be beating your head against a wall.

If you really want people to stop talking to you/responding to your OP, quit responding to them. In a few days it will be buried far down the list, so it won't catch people's eyes. As it is, every time you respond you bring the post back to the top of the list, so more people see it and respond again.
  • rockinsue285
    Options

Yep, may as well.

May as well lose all muscle mass.

No benefits to exercise at all. Enjoy the couch.

That is the long and short of it :)
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Yep, may as well.

May as well lose all muscle mass.

No benefits to exercise at all. Enjoy the couch.
    This!!
  • LPCoder
    Options

For someone engaged in a heavy lifting routine (like myself) do you think that taking in some carbs post workout is a 'good' idea to aid in recovery, even if they are overweight (as I am, working on cutting now)? I guess that was the part that surprised me about your comment, and I would appreciate your opinion in that regard. Definitely understandable if your statement wasn't targeted at someone engaged in the sorts of activities that I am.

I want to make a disclaimer. Never would i tell someone what is the best thing to do for all situations. You know your body best. I will answer your question for what I have found works best based on what I have learned and experienced. If you are building muscle mass, your body needs protein. If you are feeling weak or dizzy after a weight lifting session, then eat an orange after a workout keeping well hydrated. Follow up with a good protein. Try taking a gentle walk around the track to encourage your body to use the fat stored to replace the used energy in your muscles. You might be surprised how good a couple of laps between sets feels.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

A lot of people, including myself, did address the fact that you said this. The problem is the way you phrased the question (basically 'why bother exercising if I'm just going to eat back the calories?') begs the question 'what is the benefit of exercise above and beyond calorie burn?'. That's what people are responding to.

As for the importance of eating calories back, I'll try, though it has been stated already. Agree with this or not, I'm stating these as assumptions, if you don't agree then do whatever you want:

1) Your body needs a certain amount of energy to function properly during day to day living NOT including exercise. This is the energy you burn keeping your heart beating, blood pumping through your body, walking from your car to your office, etc.

2) Your body can convert both fat and muscle into energy in addition to or in the absence of energy being provided via food. Certain factors affect the ratio of fat burn to muscle burn (i.e. adequate protein intake, resistance training, current BF%, magnitude of the deficit needing to be covered via stored energy sources, genetics, etc)

3) Having too large of a deficit, in addition to the potential consequence of additional muscle loss, is very difficult to maintain long term and causes ones metabolism to slow.

MFP calculates an estimated calorie count for you ***as if you were doing no exercise***. That means if you were to eat the calories listed and do no exercise beyond normal day to day living, this is an estimate for what would cause weight loss at your desired rate.

If you exercise, that's an additional energy expenditure above and beyond what was calculated by MFP.

If you underestimate calories in and/or overestimate calories burned (extremely common scenario), you are essentially not eating your exercise calories, you're just achieving that result through inaccurate math.

If you are truly accurate in your calories in/calories out logs, there's no reason why you shouldn't set your base deficit to a larger number, and then eat your exercise calories back.

Alternatively you can use a different type of estimate than what MFP uses, one that does take into account exercise. Those estimates would give you a larger target for calories, but not have you eat back exercise calories: same thing.

The comments about losing muscle mass should be obvious now, if you go with MFP's estimate, which doesn't account for exercise, and exercise without eating those calories back, all you're doing is creating a larger deficit than what MFP recommends. If that works for you fine, but you run the risk of losing more muscle mass than you otherwise would using the slower tactic where you do eat back exercise cals.

At the end of the day, whether or not you eat back exercise calories is a reflection on how much merit you give to MFP's calorie estimate for you as well as your own estimates of calorie intake/expenditure.
  • spazwgeo
    spazwgeo Posts: 70 Member
    Options

If you wanted a serious answer to this maybe you should have started this thread better! I'm not defending everyone that is being negative to you but in your post it sounds like you're answering your own question by saying you might as well sit on your bum! You put people on the defensive right away.
This discussion has been closed.