Diabetes Support Group~~~Part 1

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Don't know what forum it is. But for me i certainly do like your advise. I have learn a lot from you. Sorry if there are some rudeness out there. I don't agree with a lot of the adkins diet but we all have to find what work for us and what we can live with. this is my own opinion I think nearly everbody overdo carbs and is the the root of most of our problems. So I just limit my carbs. and set an amount Just a low carb and try not to go over 100 carbs a day. somedays more, somedays less. We just do the best we can. I may have to change this someday but for now this is it.

Don't leave us, we need everybody output. We all need each other.

Love you all Marie
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Don't know what forum it is. But for me i certainly do like your advise. I have learn a lot from you. Sorry if there are some rudeness out there. I don't agree with a lot of the adkins diet but we all have to find what work for us and what we can live with. this is my own opinion I think nearly everbody overdo carbs and is the the root of most of our problems. So I just limit my carbs. and set an amount Just a low carb and try not to go over 100 carbs a day. somedays more, somedays less. We just do the best we can. I may have to change this someday but for now this is it.

Don't leave us, we need everybody output. We all need each other.

Love you all Marie

I know Atkins works, especially for those that have blood sugar issues, high blood pressure, thyroid issues, etc...........

It takes away depression, feeling hungry, cravings for sugar, etc............

I have never eaten more natural than I do now.

For the most part I don't even eat artificial sweetners............

I thought I was trying to help others when they asked questions, but others start bashing me and putting me down because I eat a little differently than others..........

Who needs 100 calorie packs of cookies??? For sure, I know none of us here in the Diabetes thread.......

Anyway, I talked to my hubby and he said forget the haters as he calls them and continue to do my own thing on here. He said when I have kept the weight off for years, and they are still yo-yoing, maybe then they will listen to what i had to say................
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    For anyone looking for a cracker type snack, these are AWESOME!!!!

I purchased these at my Neighborhood Coop.
    I got the Smokehouse flavor and with a bit of raw cheese it made for a very yummy snack.

label.gif

detail.jpg
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    I am not posting in any other forums except this one, and the 2 low carbing forums I post in.

I am so tired of getting bashed for how I eat and live my lifestyle, tired of being told my advise is not credible, etc................

I am on the verge of leaving this site for good.

LeanLioness - the best thing you can do for yourself...is to be true to yourself. Please continue being YOU. If you need to take a break, do so, but please come back. You have friends here at MFP.
    I'm so sorry your mother passed away, but remember...she is really always with you, wanting only the best for you and she is especially there for those down moments. Rest and take good care of yourself because that is all she really wants...your happiness and good health.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I am not posting in any other forums except this one, and the 2 low carbing forums I post in.

I am so tired of getting bashed for how I eat and live my lifestyle, tired of being told my advise is not credible, etc................

I am on the verge of leaving this site for good.

LeanLioness - the best thing you can do for yourself...is to be true to yourself. Please continue being YOU. If you need to take a break, do so, but please come back. You have friends here at MFP.
    I'm so sorry your mother passed away, but remember...she is really always with you, wanting only the best for you and she is especially there for those down moments. Rest and take good care of yourself because that is all she really wants...your happiness and good health.

Thanks!!! I do not let people's opinions bother me in real life, so I am not going to let a group of cyber people bother me either.

It is just I get a little over zealous when giving advice to people because I know what works for me and a lot of other people. My doctor always tells me to spread the word like it is gospel (LOL) so that the obesity epidemic can get under control as the government continues to make it worse..............

So, that is what I do :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Anyway, I am happy today. It is my birthday, I just turned 36 and I got on the scale this morning to a -8.8 pound loss this week. :bigsmile:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning guys, going to have baked fish and cold canned spinach and a salad for lunch. For some resons i just like cold spinach out of the can. I also like cold Pork and beans out of the cans. but haven't had any of them in a long time. Will have to check the label out and see if I can work some in.I know the beans will be good for me but don't know about the sauce.

Have a safe and wonderful day.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hello there, All is fine here in my neck of the woods. Hot weather has return but thanks to a cool front coming in it will get cooler again. I think they said it was 102 today, rather warm. But about normal for this time of the year.

I am doing fine on my carbs. eating plenty of lean meat and veggies.. and yogurt.

Hope everyone had a nice day. Calie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good moning all.

just dropping in to say Hello to all of you.

It is cloudy here today. Hope we get some rain out of it. But not likely.

All is fine here. My eating is good and my Blood sugar is good. But My weight is not falling off. Oh well can't have everything.

Everyone have a wonderful day and take care.

Calie
  • jdhall
    jdhall Posts: 76
    Options
    Hey All! Just dropping by to wish everyone a happy and healthy day. I am doing well, not dropping much weight either, but sugar is good, so that is most important. Talk to you all soon! :happy:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I am back with a new name............

I am trying to stay incognito. It is LeanLioness. :glasses: See my disguise, LOL

Anyway, I am knocking at the door of Onederland!!! My official weigh in is 203.4 for today.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hi leo, welcome back to the diabectic support group. Missed you. Don't know what happen but that is all in the past. We are here to help one another and support one and another, Lets get this weight and blood sugar in check. We can do it. Calie
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Hi leo, welcome back to the diabectic support group. Missed you. Don't know what happen but that is all in the past. We are here to help one another and support one and another, Lets get this weight and blood sugar in check. We can do it. Calie

Yes and thanks. I am knocking on the door of the 190's!!!

I have noticed that the more natural fat I eat, the more stable my blood sugar is and I eat far less. Actually, since I started having the coconut oil in my coffee in the morning, along with fage total and some berries, I stay full from 5 am until around 1pm.................

I just sip water in between that time.

Well, off to dust the living room and vacuum. I have already cleaned the kitchen.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hello Leo, Well as i expected my blood sugar did go up to 197 after that whipped yogurt. But took my regular amt. of insulin at supper and it was down to 119 by bed time. So I really had a sucessul day for my average for the day was 112 and my doctor wants me to keep it under 140. This morning it was 99. so starting off with a good reading. Had my eggs and toasts. If I pay closer attention to what I am eating she will be able to lower my dosage. Are you still offf med? I used to be on oral med and it got where it wasn't working and had to go on insulin. My doctor said that usally happen to everyone as they age. I have been on insulin for a couple years now.

Good morning jdhall--- How are you doing?

Good morning to everybody else.

Calie
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Hello Leo, Well as i expected my blood sugar did go up to 197 after that whipped yogurt. But took my regular amt. of insulin at supper and it was down to 119 by bed time. So I really had a sucessul day for my average for the day was 112 and my doctor wants me to keep it under 140. This morning it was 99. so starting off with a good reading. Had my eggs and toasts. If I pay closer attention to what I am eating she will be able to lower my dosage. Are you still offf med? I used to be on oral med and it got where it wasn't working and had to go on insulin. My doctor said that usally happen to everyone as they age. I have been on insulin for a couple years now.

Good morning jdhall--- How are you doing?

Good morning to everybody else.

Calie

Yes, I am still off the meds.................

I know someone that was on insulin shots and went on Atkins and they are now off shots, oral meds and living medication free...............

The lady that I know she gave up breads, crackers, etc...........
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Leo , I am following my doctors orders.Thats all I can do.If I am going to her. That nice that that girl got off insulin. But we are two difference people and ages. Untill my doctor tells me other wise i will keep on a low carb diet and get my whole grains in., fruits, veggie. lean meat. Fat free milk. good for you oil. It makes me a Happy Camper. A Happy dieter too. I am just expression my own opinion. No offense taken. Love hearing your opinion and how you are tackling this problem.

Your friend Calie
  • jdhall
    Options
    Hey guys! I am still doing well. My sugar this morning was 96, which is great for dropping one med off my list.

Leo: I was wondering if you could tell me about the natural fats you are using. I have a problem some days on my food list of going over on fat, not by a lot, but it is over and I think it should not be. Thanks for your input, it is important to all of us!

Hope everyone has a healthy and happy day! :happy:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Hey guys! I am still doing well. My sugar this morning was 96, which is great for dropping one med off my list.

Leo: I was wondering if you could tell me about the natural fats you are using. I have a problem some days on my food list of going over on fat, not by a lot, but it is over and I think it should not be. Thanks for your input, it is important to all of us!

Hope everyone has a healthy and happy day! :happy:

Well coconut oil is the #1 fat that I use..............and then saturated fats (animal fats). (I eat chicken skin, fat on my steak, full fat Fage Yogurt, full fat cheese)

Check out this forum. She thinks like I do and there is a lot of research material that talks about how moderate to high fat consumption is NOT BAD FOR YOU!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/60768-eat-more-fat
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Here is some more information from Marks Daily Apple regarding Fat.
    A Primal Primer: Animal Fats
    If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my weekly newsletter. Thanks for visiting!

Animal fats have recently been implicated as the cause of heart disease, obesity and, in a roundabout convoluted stretch of logic, global warming. If you let health officials tell it, they’re pure evil. Reviled, shunned, and lambasted by the general public (thanks to less-then-sterling endorsements by health officials), animal fats have really gotten a bad rap.

It wasn’t always this way.

No, for hundreds of thousands of years, animal fats played a huge role in the human diet – whether it was Grok going straight for the fatty organs and tossing the lean muscle meat to the dogs, Prometheus making a meager sacrifice to the gods more appealing by draping it in swathes of fat, or Mom cooking with real butter instead of margarine. But you already knew that. I don’t have to sell you guys on the beauty of animal fat (after all, there was already quite a robust discussion taking place in the forums!), but the widespread societal backlash against animal fat means most of us don’t know everything we should about the stuff. For a lot of us, anything other than lard or butter is a mystery, and that’s a damn shame. There are tons of different varieties with many different uses, and we PBers need to be familiar with them all.

Lard

It has become part of the lexicon, used to describe the obese (“lard-*kitten*,” “tub of lard,” “lard bucket,” etc. – we prefer “pail ‘o grains,” ourselves). For most people, merely mentioning it in a culinary context causes heart palpitations and shudders of revulsion. Fine by me: that just means more lard for us.

Lard is pig fat in both its rendered and unrendered form. The best lard is called leaf lard, and it comes from the fat deposits surrounding the kidneys and inside the loin. Leaf lard is “best” because it has little to no pork flavor, making it ideal for bakers (doesn’t really apply to us) and for general cooking. Next is fatback, which comes from the subcutaneous, thick fat deposits between the skin and the muscles of the pig. The cheapest is the soft membrane known as caul fat, which can be found wrapped around the internal organs. There’s also bacon grease, that delicious bacon-flavored lard that comes in handy when you’ve just fried up a platter of bacon and could really go for some eggs. If you’re not going to use it right away, don’t throw it out. Keep empty jars handy and just pour the hot grease in whenever you’re done. Store all your lard in the fridge, where it’ll avoid rancidity for months and be easily scoopable.

Whichever type of lard you choose, it can be used the same way you’d use butter. Stir fries, grilled steaks, fried eggs, and sautéed veggies are all delicious cooked in lard. Even if you don’t use leaf lard, the flavor is fairly mild, and the “porkiness” is minimal – if that sort of thing bothers you. Of course, the way you render your lard has an effect on the flavor. Dry-rendered lard (rendered without water, as if you were frying up bacon) tastes more porky, while wet-rendered lard (where the lard is rendered in water and skimmed off the top) is very mild.

The leaf lard from Flying Pigs Farm seems to get rave reviews online, and it can be shipped all over the country. Still, the farm’s located on the east coast, so unless you live nearby the shipping costs can get pretty prohibitive. You could just check out the local farmers’ market or the butcher shop. Pig fat is usually fairly cheap, and you can get a good amount of usable lard from a couple pounds of leaf or fatback. Don’t buy the cheap stuff in big tubs! It’s hydrogenated and full of trans-fats.

Lard is relatively stable, with good levels of saturated and monounsaturated fats.

Per 100 g (3.5 oz):

SFA: 39g
    MUFA: 45g
    PUFA: 11g

Poultry Fat

The holy trinity of poultry fats consists of chicken, duck, and goose. The concept of poultry fat is similar to lard; take the fatty portions of the bird and slowly render them until pure, unadulterated liquid fat is produced. Most foodies sing the praises of goose and duck fat, and for good reason: waterfowls, being relegated to the water, are generally loaded with fat for buoyancy and that makes for excellent eating. There’s more of it and what’s there is generally richer than fat rendered from a chicken. That said, there’s still a place in the kitchen for chicken fat. One popular iteration is schmaltz, which is poultry (usually chicken, but sometimes even pork) fat rendered with onions for flavor.

The public typically celebrates these fats for their potato-enhancing qualities, but I personally love using poultry fat as an incestuous accompaniment to roasted poultry. A bit rubbed on the bird before tossing it into the oven makes for crispy, delicious, fatty skin. Or if I ever do splurge on a sweet potato, I’ll usually fry it up in some poultry fat. Apples and pears are also good roasted in poultry fat; I prefer goose, but anything with wings and feathers will do.

Poultry fat is easy enough to find. I’ll sometimes ask the butcher for any extra skin he might have, and it’s usually incredibly affordable, much more so than lard. If your meat market processes skinless breast and thighs in-house, chances are they’ll have piles of poultry skin lying around too. You can probably even get organic, free-range skin for next-to-nothing. Goose and duck trimmings are far more rare and coveted, so you’ll have to pay extra for those – but believe me, it’s well worth the effort. And be sure to save the fat that naturally renders in the bottom of the pan when roasting a bird.

Store your poultry fat in the fridge for up to two months. It’s less stable than lard, but it probably won’t last long enough for you to find out.

Per 3.5 oz:

Goose fat
    SFA: 28g
    MUFA: 57g
    PUFA: 11g

Duck fat
    SFA: 33g
    MUFA: 49g
    PUFA: 13g

Chicken fat
    SFA: 20g
    MUFA: 45g
    PUFA: 31g

Tallow

Tallow refers to rendered beef (and sometimes lamb) fat. It comes from suet, which is the raw, hard raw fat of cows and sheep, usually surrounding the loins and kidneys. You don’t see tallow a whole lot; it’s high in saturated fat, which makes it easily demonized. In fact, McDonald’s used to fry their fries in real beef tallow until, in the name of “better health,” they were forced to use hydrogenated oils instead. We all know how that turned out.

To make really good tallow, you have to be patient. It’s a slow process, but it’s worth it. Good tallow is solid at room temperature and incredibly stable, so if you’re dead set on deep-frying something, you’ll want to use tallow. Tallow is relatively mild in flavor, so you can use it for just about any recipe that calls for fat. It’s particularly great for browning meat for stews, curries, and chili.

You may have to special order suet, simply because there isn’t much of a demand in most areas. Farmers’ markets are good options, as are butcher shops. Just go a few days in advance and place a special order to ensure it arrives in time. Eatwild is, of course, always a good source if you can’t find it locally.

Per 3.5 oz:

SFA: 50g
    MUFA: 42g
    PUFA: 4g (grass fed, remember, will have a better Omega-3 profile)

Ghee

Ghee is rendered butter with all milk proteins and solids removed. It is pure fat, and it can be treated like an oil when heated. Nuttier than butter, ghee is completely stable at room temperature, provided you keep it in an airtight container. Like butter, ghee is incredibly high in stable saturated fats, making it ideal for sautéed dishes and higher heats.

I use ghee to grill steaks and as a starter for my curries. Whole Foods sells a great ghee made from organic, free-range cow’s milk. It’s a little pricey, but you can reuse the container to store your other fats. Make sure the ghee you buy comes from pure butter, and butter alone; some brands combine vegetable oil with butter to make their ghee.

Per 3.5 oz:

SFA: 65g
    MUFA: 32g
    PUFA: 3g

Those are the basics – the ones most of us are going to be able to have on a regular basis. Animal fat has been unjustly demonized and there’s a lot of misinformation out there. Hopefully, this cleared things up and made it a bit more accessible and understandable.

I’m interested in hearing about other types of rendered animal fat, though. If you have access to rendered moose fatback or emu kidney leaf fat, let us know about it in the comments!
  • jdhall
    Options
    Thank you leo for all the knowledge. I think it is important to eat certain fats also, I was just trying ot minimize the amount I take in. I will try some of these to see if they help.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    My blood sugar at lunch was 89. For lunch I had a babecue on a sugar free bun. 1/2 container of Lemon thich and creamy yoplait yogurt with ! T cool whipped and 1 T chopped walnut. . fixing to go and take my blood sugar now for mis afternoon. Calie

Took my blood sugar it was 112 here at mis afternoon. I ate the other half of my lemon yogurt so I wouldn't have a low blood sugar befor supper. So so far so good.

Calie