Should men get paternity leave from work?

Options

Replies

• QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    My company has maternity and paternity leave. Both are paid and the same amount of time.

That's pretty cool.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    They do. It's called FMLA, look it up.

I'm aware of that. It's not specifically "paternity" leave, though. Women have "maternity" leave. Should men have "paternity" leave?

Maternity or paternity leave are usually company-specific. The woman's medically-allowed time off is usually capped at 6 weeks (unless there are problems), which may or may not be covered under short-term disability/maternity leave policies. After that time, they switch to personal leave time, since FMLA allows them to be off up to 12 weeks, if they meet the criteria.

Paternity leave would not be covered under a sick-time/short-term disability, unless he somehow figured out a way to push that sweet baby out of his [censored]. It would just be covered under the Family portion of FMLA.

You are wise :) Thank you for wearing the HR hat.
  • xoTLCxo
    xoTLCxo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    They already have that option here in Canaduh. Mat leave is 52 weeks paid (capped percentage of your prior income and your job must be held for you while you're gone. Men can take paternity leave but however many weeks they take is deducted from the mother's 52 weeks.

WHATTTTT??????? We get 6! 9 max, but the last 3 are without pay!
    We sure do..I took all 52 weeks and hubby was entitled to a week off from his job because of his union contract.. I really appreciated the help during that first week :)
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    I get 6-9 weeks maternity leave. 12 DAYS of those are paid, but they are also my sick days, so if I actually get sick, I'm screwed. I just aimed to have my kid right before school let out, so I'd have the summer.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I think men should get a week. Not the 6 weeks women get so their bodies can recover

Still in the Stone Age? When my son was born, I did everything for 3 weeks BUT put him in on the nipple.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Yes... It is called Parental Leave and is already in place here in Ontario.

Each family is different and it isn't always the mother that stays home with baby.
    Father's are just as important as mother's and play a huge role in the raising of a child.
    Paternal leave also allows the father to stay home to support the mother in the caring of the new baby.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    I think men should get a week. Not the 6 weeks women get so their bodies can recover

Still in the Stone Age? When my son was born, I did everything for 3 weeks BUT put him in on the nipple.

So did my husband.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I think a few days should be sufficient.. I mean they didn't blast the thing out of their crotch but they were involved in the baby making.

HAAAAAAA this made me spit, well spit, all over the keyboard. Like projectile laughing. Guffawing even. I ADORE the visual that women are blasting babies out of their crotches like WWII heavy artillery. :heart:

I say that because I have YET to have one. I am sure that I will describe it in other ways once it happens =)

Oh no, I think you're right on. ::pew pew pew::

Omg! Now I am laughing!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Technically most employers do not offer "maternity leave" anymore because men were demanding "paternity leave" (the whole equal rights thing.... who knew!

Most employers include pregnancy leave as short term disability, which keeps them from being held liable for offering paternity leave.
    FMLA does apply.. employers are not required to pay during FMLA leave, only make sure a job is available upon return.

Edited to add: If your company has less than 50 employees, and/or if you have worked less than a year with the company FMLA won't even apply. USA has 0 "maternity leave" laws.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

I'm aware of that. It's not specifically "paternity" leave, though. Women have "maternity" leave. Should men have "paternity" leave?

Maternity or paternity leave are usually company-specific. The woman's medically-allowed time off is usually capped at 6 weeks (unless there are problems), which may or may not be covered under short-term disability/maternity leave policies. After that time, they switch to personal leave time, since FMLA allows them to be off up to 12 weeks, if they meet the criteria.

Paternity leave would not be covered under a sick-time/short-term disability, unless he somehow figured out a way to push that sweet baby out of his [censored]. It would just be covered under the Family portion of FMLA.

Actually...I got 3 weeks as my son was born via C-Section...may want to check that resource.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Meh. Are you suggesting that the man would ACTUALLY help out during that time?!

Some of us would.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I get 6-9 weeks maternity leave. 12 DAYS of those are paid, but they are also my sick days, so if I actually get sick, I'm screwed. I just aimed to have my kid right before school let out, so I'd have the summer.

Wow...such a small amount of time!

In Ontario, a woman gets 17 weeks pregnancy leave (maternity leave) + 35 weeks parental leave = 52 weeks leave.

The father is only allowed 35 weeks.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Technically most employers do not offer "maternity leave" anymore because men were demanding "paternity leave" (the whole equal rights thing.... who knew!

Most employers include pregnancy leave as short term disability, which keeps them from being held liable for offering paternity leave.
    FMLA does apply.. employers are not required to pay during FMLA leave, only make sure a job is available upon return.

Yes. Maternity Leave & Paternity Leave are both company-specific. But I do think both should be available to all employees, everywhere.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Federally mandated leave given for the birth of a child isn't paternity leave?

No it is not, and FLMA is not paid either if it is taken to care for a family member. When my daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor and I took two weeks off work to deal with doctors, it would have been unpaid if my doctor didn't put through paperwork that I needed time off because of a mental breakdown. Designated Paternity leave would provide a set amount of paid leave.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I think men should get a few weeks, depending on how much help the wife needs following birth.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    In Spain women gets 16 weeks, and man gets 2 weeks.
    I think there should be option to mix it a bit though.
    Like both get 18 weeks to divide between then however they wish.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yes! My firm offers it. Dads need to bond with their new babies, too.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    NO I am sick of this separate but equal. We demand Maternity leave!!!!

18023.png
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    yes. ive had 4 kids and i did all this hard work and then Im left to do housework watch babies and nurse and heal he shouldnt have to work and then take care of me round the clock he should just be home to help out with the housework and other children while i heal and get into a new routine of life. its his baby too maybe there would be a better bond if the dad was home immediately in the beginning but my husbands boss didnt see it that way. he stayed up with me all night i deliverd and within 24 hrs he was back to work for 3 very long days straight. im talking like 15 hr days on his feet. it sucked for him and for me.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Actually...I got 3 weeks as my son was born via C-Section...may want to check that resource.

What your employer offers may be more gracious than what the law provides for... Two different issues here.