Should men get paternity leave from work?

Options

Replies

• _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I think we should, but not as much leave. I took a week off when my daughter was born and it helped my wife's recovery a lot. luckily my boss was a family man and gave me the extra vacation days. wasn't able to with our son and it was really hard on both of us.
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    They do. It's called FMLA, look it up.

I'm aware of that. It's not specifically "paternity" leave, though. Women have "maternity" leave. Should men have "paternity" leave?

Maternity or paternity leave are usually company-specific. The woman's medically-allowed time off is usually capped at 6 weeks (unless there are problems), which may or may not be covered under short-term disability/maternity leave policies. After that time, they switch to personal leave time, since FMLA allows them to be off up to 12 weeks, if they meet the criteria.

Paternity leave would not be covered under a sick-time/short-term disability, unless he somehow figured out a way to push that sweet baby out of his [censored]. It would just be covered under the Family portion of FMLA.

You are wise :) Thank you for wearing the HR hat.

Actually...I got 3 weeks as my son was born via C-Section...may want to check that resource.

The resource is the US Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. What your company allows, paid time, or if you don't apply for the FMLA (they don't always advertise that this is an option), is one thing. The FMLA law protects your position within the company if you take time off for a qualified family event (birth or adoption of a child, to take care of yourself if you are sick, or to care for a sick family member.

Now, someone else mentioned that if your company is small, this law doesn't apply (as it would adversely impact your business), which is true. You also have to have worked a minimum of 12 months AND 1250 hours (during that 12 month period) in order to be protected by the law.

A company (meeting the # of employee criteria) cannot legally override a federal law for their own purposes. If you meet the qualifications, you are able to get protected time. This, again, is an UNPAID leave, for both men and women. A company can choose to allow you to take vacation or sick time to be paid during this time, but it is not required. The point of the law is to allow people to take care of their medical business without worrying about not having a job when they get back.

Also - the job you come back to is not necessarily the one you left. It just has to be an "equivalant" position within the company.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I believe so.. a new mommy needs the extra help.. not 6 weeks but week or 2 is good.. especially if the mommy is recovering from a c-section like I was. My husband took off 2 weeks when baby 8 was born.. I was in a lot of pain..haivng him home to take care of the other kids, housework and meals while I was recovering was a God send!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada, a couple (if there is a couple) is given 12 months leave from work (with 80-85% pay covered by the federal government).

How the heck did you get 80 - 85% covered by the government? Employment Insurance is not that high. The max you can get is just over $400 per week. That was not even 50% of my pay on mat leave

Ya, it's only a 55% coverage or the 1500-1600 a month, whatever is less. :) I certainly didn't get 55% of my pay - would like to know how you swung 80-85%!
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    Of course.

Also it is selfish to think just because the woman has given birth to the baby that she DESERVES more, both have just became the parents to a new being they should get equal time off to bond with new baby and as a family.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Women get maternity leave for 3 months in Canada. After that they can take the remaining 9 months of maternity leave or the other parent can take paternity leave. Or any conbination of the months. TOTALLY fair! Sometimes the woman makes way more!
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, YES, in answer to this question.
    Here in Canada, a couple (if there is a couple) is given 12 months leave from work (with 80-85% pay covered by the federal government). This twelve months can be taken by either, or both parents. So, when my brother and his wife had their child, he took 6 months off and so did his wife, to equal twelve. Or, the mother can just take the twelve months, or, even the father can take the twelve months...I belive it's up to each couple.

When I had my daughter in the States, I was given 3 months mat leave, which I had used up before my daughter was even born (I had a very high-stress job that my doctor removed me from during the pregnancy). If I didn't have a husband, like I did, I have NO IDEA how I would've lived after that 3 months ran out...

As well, to only give a parent three months with a baby after it's born is ludicrous! At three months, babies are still so tiny and in need of being with their primary caregiver! As well, when I was down in the States, most daycare didn't accept babies until they were one year of age...So if a mom had to go back to work when her baby was 3 months old, and didn't have family to care for the baby, what the h. does she do? NO PARENT should be put in that situation!
    Anyway, I am happy with the way it is here in Canada...it just seems like families are valued.
    -END RANT-

wow 3 months here (the U.S) would be amazing! My youngest daughter got 6 weeks off last year and my middle daughter will get 12 weeks off this year with only 8 weeks paid. They both have to work to pay for unimportant things like health insurance, etc. We live in an insane country and if I could pick up all my loved ones and move.......I would!
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Why not? They do in Canada and Germany with pay from the government if the company is not willing to pay for it. And we think Americans have it all........pffffttt!!!

Oh, Americans may have things but common sense is lost! I am American so I have full bloody right to say so. But, it is my opinion we're not the only ones without common sense though. We generally just pay people to sit on their *kitten* their entire life while the rest of us pay for them.

My 2 cents to the discussion is, yes, men should get paternity leave. Just because it's in the FMLA doesn't mean they get paid for it - depends on the company you're working for. And who knows, maybe I need to read the FMLA in greater detail. Anyway, my husband was given two weeks, paid paternity leave and I could not have done it without him. I had an emergency c-section and was not able to move easily and/or move with our son. Plus, it is a HUGE adjustment in life. Everyone needs some time to let the 'new-ness' settle.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Wow I've got it good then. I'd get 6 months full pay and additional 6 months half pay if I want it. Partner gets 2 weeks full pay. You need the 2 weeks to bond and for him to help, especially if its a c sectIon. I'm in the uk x
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    They already have that option here in Canaduh. Mat leave is 52 weeks paid (capped percentage of your prior income and your job must be held for you while you're gone. Men can take paternity leave but however many weeks they take is deducted from the mother's 52 weeks.

That's because yer a pack damn dirty commies!
    This is such an ignorant view of Canada. We are FAR from being commies, we just take better care of our people! We happen to value life, health, family, and education, and we all pay to have these supports. Jealous? You should be, because we have all this AND FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY!!!

Hmmm, ask the business owners who have to pay for all this federal overreach how much freedom they have when they are required by law to give employees 52 weeks off AND hold their jobs because they chose to have a baby.

I think a modest amount of paternity leave is a reasonable benefit for a company that seeks to attract and retain quality employees. I am not at all in favor of the government requiring it. That should be solely the decision of the person(s) who put everything on the line to build the business.

The money comes from Employment Insurance ( Unemployment Insurance). Holding a job for a year does give way to have 1 year contract positions and people can make a good living at that.

That being said... some employers are cautious about hiring women in their child bearing years.
  • dwhalley529
    Options
    I took a month for my son and 2 weeks for my daughter. Our families are about 1,000 miles away so, we did not have a ton of support. I'm glad I did it. I'm glad I work for an organization that allowed me to do it.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada, a couple (if there is a couple) is given 12 months leave from work (with 80-85% pay covered by the federal government).

How the heck did you get 80 - 85% covered by the government? Employment Insurance is not that high. The max you can get is just over $400 per week. That was not even 50% of my pay on mat leave

Ya, it's only a 55% coverage or the 1500-1600 a month, whatever is less. :) I certainly didn't get 55% of my pay - would like to know how you swung 80-85%!

My sister in law's employer paid the balance of what the government didn't....so she bascially got 90% of what she was making normally. Must be nice! I only got the $400.00.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh... and while we are talking about time off and pay and what not, I would like to take this time for a little PSA.... Ladies, if you are not yet pregnant but are wanting children in the future... I highly suggest looking into Short Term Disablity.... especially if your employer does not pay for FMLA time off. The reason I say this is you could get a portion of your needed time off (I want to say up to 65% of your income) during the time you are out... depending on what company it is will determine the duration. I learned this the hard way after we had our first. :-/

I just looked it up, my STD insurance is 60% of income, up to a maximum benefit of $1250 a week.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    They do....it is called the Family Medical Leave Act. It even applies to adoption as well as birth. It is 3 months of leave with no pay but the benefits and position stay intact. My husband took a week's vacation after we had our 2nd.

Yes. The organization that I had worked for full time had a policy to meet the requirements of the FMLA. The policy was similar to the above, except with pay. If the employee met the guidelines for extenuating circumstances, then leave was extended without pay, but benefits and position remained with the employee.

The FMLA covers an array of types of medical leaves including the care of elderly parents, children, or spouse/partner.
  • Ing1zo
    Ing1zo Posts: 3
    Options
    U.S. Military Service members get 10 days of free paid paternity leave. That’s reasonable right?
  • ts1122
    ts1122 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oh... and while we are talking about time off and pay and what not, I would like to take this time for a little PSA.... Ladies, if you are not yet pregnant but are wanting children in the future... I highly suggest looking into Short Term Disablity.... especially if your employer does not pay for FMLA time off. The reason I say this is you could get a portion of your needed time off (I want to say up to 65% of your income) during the time you are out... depending on what company it is will determine the duration. I learned this the hard way after we had our first. :-/

I just looked it up, my STD insurance is 60% of income, up to a maximum benefit of $1250 a week.

I couldn't agree more! I work in HR with a school district and I don't know how many of our employees have ended up pregnant but didn't take the STD or didn't buy up to our best plan, starting at day 8 (district pays up to a base salary for coverage starting at day 31). They end up struggling by the end of it.

Also, the link below shows the maternity/paternity leave for many countries. Sadly, only 2 or 3 countries provide unpaid leave and the USA is one of them. I am completely for paternity leave - my husband was a huge help while I was on leave!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_leave
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Yes and if if the company is large enough to fall under Family Medical Leave Act they are allowed to. In 1983 when my youngest was born I took the first 4 months and he took the next 2 months. It worked absolutely beautiful. I have granted it periodically for fathers where I have worked over the years. edit: The company I worked for at the time allowed 6 months, not 3 as is the standard. Some was paid, some was not (we also had ST disability).
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I think men should get paternity leave.... And according to some of the post I read, I should basically move to Canada?
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    i think men should get the allotted time. It takes an adjustment for them as well. It would also help out the woman...usually lol
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Meh. Are you suggesting that the man would ACTUALLY help out during that time?!

Mine did. :love: :heart: I had a rough c-section recovery.

I had a rough one too, Jon helped alittle but it sucked all together