One phrase that people say that make you CRAZY!

Options

Replies

• casval75
    casval75 Posts: 13
    Options
    "Stupid B****!"

I HATE when men say this!!!! *luckily they don't say it to me just at other women when driving or shopping, etc.*

I have to admit, though...if that woman is still with the man that calls her that, then she probably is one. :tongue:
  • vonnie1982
    Options
    You took the word right out of my mouth. I hate when people say IRREGARDLESS. It's not a damn word! Hate it hate it hate! Oh yeah....Hate it. It just burns my biscuits.
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    "I could care less" IT'S COULDN'T!! COULDN'T!! IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO SAY COULD!

Expert on subject - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Ignore him after the could care bit though, even I think he takes it a bit far with the hold the fort things xD

^^ THIS

You have NO idea how much that drives me crazy... Its almost as bad as "irregardless"
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's not really a phrase so much as a grammatical error, but... "I seen," drives me absolutely bananas. No, you didn't "seen," you freaking "saw."

The 'I seen'' thing used to drive me crazy too until I started travelling more. In some areas everyone says that. Like some southerners say "yens" or New Yorkers say "yous guys".
  • casval75
    casval75 Posts: 13
    Options
    When people say liberry. or Valentime's Day.
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    this one was probably said already but "muscle weighs more than fat" NO it doesnt. a pound is a pound.
    Muscle does weigh more than fat by volume, and that's exactly what people mean when they say that.

i say, say what you mean, and mean what you say. muscle does not weigh more. period.

It seems you are the one not saying what you mean. If you mean a pound doesn't weigh more than a pound, then say that. If someone else talks about fat and muscle why assume they have a pound of each or that they even use pounds as a unit of measurement? You do know what happens when you assume, right?

i meant a pound is a pound. and thats what i said. and it doesnt matter really what they use as a unit of measurement. any "unit" of muscle weighs the same, as that same "unit" of fat. they just take up different amounts of space. the phrase is flawed in that it does not clarify. and it drives me crazy.

I can guarentee a cup of fat and a cup of muscle do not weigh the same. That's like saying a cup of water and a cup of styrofoam weigh the same. In terms of the phrase, when you say "muscle weighs more than fat" the person is refering to volume and people get butt hurt but essentially it's true. Of course everyone knows that a pound of A is going to equal a pound of B.

i agree that a cup is a unit of measurement, but in terms of weight, it is not. it is NOT essentially true. the phrase, in and of itself, it NOT true. and i agree, that alot of people understand what this means, however, when posting on forums to newbs about muscle weighing more then fat, and thats why their scale numbers are up, not down, it is simply not resposible usage.

If you are too stupid to know that 1 pound of anything weighs the same as 1 pound of anything else, weight loss is the least of your problems.

its not about being stupid, it about spreading incorrect/incomplete information. and even so, if someone didnt understand what another person "means" does not make them stupid

:noway:
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    this one was probably said already but "muscle weighs more than fat" NO it doesnt. a pound is a pound.
    Muscle does weigh more than fat by volume, and that's exactly what people mean when they say that.

THANK YOU!

not to mention that if said person DOES know what they are talking about, how hard is it to add "BY VOLUME" to the end of a sentence?

It's unnecessary because everyone knows what it means. Nobody would ever say, "Lead weighs more than feathers by volume." It would be superfluous.

but to say "a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat" is, on its face incorrect. A pound is a pound all the world 'round.

That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the simple phrase "muscle weighs more than fat".
  • Chalesie
    Chalesie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    "You look fine"

I HATE it!!! Drives me nuts!!! :explode: :grumble: :explode: :grumble: :mad: Tell me I look good or bad but fine is soo non-committal and meaningless so it's not even worth being said.... Unless of course... some hottie is telling me I look "Fiiiine" with all the right attitude and swagger it should be said with... haha!
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    "Do want fries with ?" With what ?!?!?!

Im just gonna say yes, I do want fries with everything! But then again, that's why i'm on MFP. (will refrain from a LOL here)
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

i say, say what you mean, and mean what you say. muscle does not weigh more. period.

It seems you are the one not saying what you mean. If you mean a pound doesn't weigh more than a pound, then say that. If someone else talks about fat and muscle why assume they have a pound of each or that they even use pounds as a unit of measurement? You do know what happens when you assume, right?

i meant a pound is a pound. and thats what i said. and it doesnt matter really what they use as a unit of measurement. any "unit" of muscle weighs the same, as that same "unit" of fat. they just take up different amounts of space. the phrase is flawed in that it does not clarify. and it drives me crazy.

I can guarentee a cup of fat and a cup of muscle do not weigh the same. That's like saying a cup of water and a cup of styrofoam weigh the same. In terms of the phrase, when you say "muscle weighs more than fat" the person is refering to volume and people get butt hurt but essentially it's true. Of course everyone knows that a pound of A is going to equal a pound of B.

i agree that a cup is a unit of measurement, but in terms of weight, it is not. it is NOT essentially true. the phrase, in and of itself, it NOT true. and i agree, that alot of people understand what this means, however, when posting on forums to newbs about muscle weighing more then fat, and thats why their scale numbers are up, not down, it is simply not resposible usage.

If you are too stupid to know that 1 pound of anything weighs the same as 1 pound of anything else, weight loss is the least of your problems.

its not about being stupid, it about spreading incorrect/incomplete information. and even so, if someone didnt understand what another person "means" does not make them stupid

If a person doesn't understand 1 pound = 1 pound, that has nothing to do with the person posting information and everything to do with the general intelligence of the recipient.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If the poster writes "muscle weighs more than fat" and you assume they mean 1 lb = 1 lb then they aren't really being stupid, since they never mentioned pounds. You are assuming they are both stupid and live in a country that uses pounds to measure weight. Both of your assumptions may be incorrect.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

THANK YOU!

not to mention that if said person DOES know what they are talking about, how hard is it to add "BY VOLUME" to the end of a sentence?

It's unnecessary because everyone knows what it means. Nobody would ever say, "Lead weighs more than feathers by volume." It would be superfluous.

no, NOT everyone know what it means. some people that come here arent equipped with weight loss terms or knowledge and ask questions in regards to such. and when givin a term, not knowing what it "means" they may take it as a truth.

1 pound = 1 pound is not a weight loss term. It's grade-school level science.
  • mammaFireBear
    mammaFireBear Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do not like to hear the following things.....

"Dude"
    "That's O.K." and then they tell you how bad their stuff is compared to yours
    "Seriously?"
    "Really? " ....my usual response is .."no, I am lieing to you."

There are more but that is a good sampling
    Oh yeah!! My husband does that! "its ok, blah blah blah." NO its not ok. Or I'll ask him, why is it ok? How does THAT make what I just said "ok"? Grrr...

I say the same thing......is it? Is it really ok? ....bah
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    ASAP

Really, if you put that acronym in an email to me, I will put your request at the bottom of the pile.

^ This!

Or if THE TYPE IN ALL CAPS TO ME! Yep, I am responding to your email last! :angry: :mad:
  • Mechel79
    Mechel79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just recently moved to California from Chicago and I hear the word "hella" all the time here.

"that shirt is hella cute" or "he is hella sexy". It makes me want to high five them in the face with a chair
  • watts7787
    watts7787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The one that will push me over the edge is, "get over it". Are you kidding me right now?!?! No "F" you! I will get over it when I'm damn good ready to. When people say this it makes me want to push them down 6 flights of stairs and watch them while they tumble down!!! ummm ok. That's kinda mean, but it does make my blood BOIL!!!
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    FAIL and EPIC. ...even worse when used together.

^^THIS^^

Note:
    1. "EPIC" is a noun (a long poem, usu. narrating the saga of a hero or legendary figure)
    2. "FAIL" is a verb, "FAILURE" is a noun

So, the slang- EPIC FAIL- technically means "To be poetically unsuccessful"

[like anybody cares :laugh:]
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    "SMH"

I am done with lazy internet lingo. lol <---pun intended
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    ... We're talking about the simple phrase "muscle weighs more than fat".
    "muscle weight more than fat" is incomplete. It makes assumptions that not everyone will make correctly. Ever watch, "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" People forget or didn't learn a lot of stuff that others assume is common knowledge.

If you are making the statement that muscle weight more than fat, you are probably talking to someone learning about weight loss and fitness. The key word here is "learning". And with learning, you try to use facts.

My 2 cents. I'll back out of this conversation now. :flowerforyou:

BTW, I'm sure "my 2 cents" has got to be on this list somewhere!!! :laugh:
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It makes me crazy when people cannot complete a sentence without adding the word *LIKE* at least 5 times!! It makes me feel like this --> :explode: (oops, there I go saying it!...frustrating sigh!)

^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS!