OMG!! Almost punched this guy @ gym!

Options

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Omg! What a sexist pig! You rock for standing up for yourself!
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So I cant believe that in this day and age, there is still stereotyping going on at the gym. I went to the Y today to do some strength training... I was doing some bench presses.. now Ive JUST started adding strength to my workouts, so Im still only doing 35lbs.. Im proud of my 35lbs press... I plan on increasing it soon, but I know it looks kinda dumb to those guys who can bench press a gajillion pounds.

So Im happy benchpressing away with my Ipod and this huge beefcake roidrage looking fool taps me on my shoulder.. so I put the bar up and pull my earphones out and say "Yes?"... Well he points to the treadmills and says "The cardio section is over there, where those girls are" so I say "Thanks, I knew that already though, today is my strength day"... so he actually has the balls to say to me "Little girl, this is the MENS area... I think you are lost"... So, I gather up my courage... look him in the eyes and say "NO, this is the 'everyone who pays to be here' area". He stood there looking at me like he might pick me up and carry me to a treadmill... and we have our little wild west stare down and he walks off muttering something about "knowing my place"...

I couldnt believe it!! Is this 2012 or what?? Any other of you lady weight trainers deal with this kinda crap?

Wow, what an epic *kitten*! Report that db to the management. That is harassment & sexual harassment. Report him regardless if he does it again. He has no right to bully you or anyone else. He's just pissed his twig & berries shriveled up.
  • EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Shame on him... "know your place"??? Really???
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    free weight area =DB area. I'm a dude and don't like going over there. Some smirk when I only load up single 45's for my deadlifts. Whatever, my membership is all paid up. Sorry bout your experience but know it happens to guys sometimes too.

they must be forgetting that they didnt start at the size they are now. Tossers.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Wow - people like that really exist? I know this is a bit out there, but maybe he thinks you're cute and wanted your attention somehow!

Basically stuff like this is what has made me intimidated to go into the weights room at my gym.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    omg. sorry that happened to you. don't let that put you off. most pdf the muscle heads at the gym are nice. hopefully you'll becone one yourself.
    and yeah id definitely report his *kitten*.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    OMG! OMG! OMG! ARE YOU SERIOUS????? What a complete and total douche!!! Way to stick up for yourself and way to go on the 35 lbs!!! I would definitely report him, IN WRITING...you paid your money to be there & nobody has the right to do that to anyone....and you don't need your husband...you have already proven how strong you are & that you can stick up for yourself just fine, thank you! You can't fix stupid....
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    I'm laughing my *kitten* off! What century is that guy from? Well, you are obviously the better person here and that guy needs to seriously just go away.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Maybe he was trying to be funny but the joke turned out bad.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I wish I was quick enough to come up with something like that!

oh, you've proven you're plenty quick, "little girl.". You put him in his place perfectly!
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Wow - people like that really exist? I know this is a bit out there, but maybe he thinks you're cute and wanted your attention somehow!

Basically stuff like this is what has made me intimidated to go into the weights room at my gym.

I couldnt believe people like that exist either... and if he was hitting on me.. he DEFINATELY need a better "how to" guide!!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I like how you stereotyped him while complaining about stereotypes
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LMAO !! thats the best thing EVER !!:drinker:
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I like how you stereotyped him while complaining about stereotypes

:blushing:
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow. You are kinder than I would have been. Granted, I am a girl, but that remark would have ended in a slew of derogatory insults from me. Eh, I'm a redhead, I'm fiery - what can I say?! ;D
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I considered dropping the bar on his foot and then putting the girlie "Omg... it was just soooo heavy" act on! I think I held it together quite well considering my quick temper...
    Haha you were much calmer then me! What a douche! Glad you stood up for yourself. :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Oh dear god!!!

Don't let anyone tell you where you should be or not. I would have shoved a 35 pounds dumbbell up his muscular *kitten*!!!! I go into the free weight area 3 times a week, sometime I get looks but no one say anything.
  • Masachapa
    Masachapa Posts: 79
    Options
    Protruding supra-orbital ridges.
    Small cranium. Uh, 1300 cc brain.
    Hmmm,

Neanderthal Man!
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think I'd have been tempted to mention his inappropriate behaviour to the staff. It's borderline harrassment. Interrupting your workout. Calling you a 'little girl'. Not ok. Neanderthal.

^ THIS!

My gym is a really mixed bag. There are many, many women who use the strength area of the gym (some better than the men). The kickboxing class is 50/50. Keep doing you. How ridiculous.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I like your response, though I might have added that he check with the front desk to see if there was a designated "misogynistic *kitten*" area, as he was clearly not among his own people there in that area. Of course, he sounds like he was too dumb to know what 'misogynistic' means. I'm guessing he's been called '*kitten*' enough to know that one, despite having multiple syllables.

And I also think you should report him.