Are we there yet? Man in a kilt - cool or dorky?

Options

Replies

• Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    If you can claim any kind if Scottish heritage and wear a properly tailored kilt in your clan tartan, it's not only cool, it's as sexy as hell.

Under any other circumstances, you're just a man in a skirt.

Completely Agree!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    COOL!!!! I LOVE THEM!!! AND GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    OH MAN! I almost forgot, Check this out... So when I said I knew guys from the celtic / hardcore music scene who wear kilts!

www.urbankilts.com <
    My friend Ben! (the hansome man in all the pics)

"Urban kilts: Made by a Scot, for those who are not"

.... I wonder if he is on MFP.....
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Do you have a family colors? One of my brothers wear one and he pulls it off just fine.
  • Thechiplover
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting a casual kilt for OCCASIONAL weekend wear. Church, dinners out, summer happenings. My old friend Kase wore one to the company Xmas party last year and totally pulled it off.

So what's the MFP gang's verdict? Interesting kooky fun - or "Mark of a *kitten*/attention *kitten*"?

I do have a pretty decent pair of sticks, if that makes any diff.

Be honest, I can take it

(Edited to add the word "Occasional". I'm not planning to wear the silly thing every day. There are times and places where this might make sense, and I have a pretty good idea when to stick to normal garb.)

I am from Scotland and wear them to occations like soccer matches...was in Paris (France) and had a couple of french women go "oh la la" lol.......go for it! the ladies love it!!
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Super sexy. Looove a man in a kilt! Go for it!
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Man in kilt = sexy :) remember to be a true scots man thou ;)
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you can pull it off great and think you can do it go for it. With me Irish/Scottish Heritage I have always thought a man in a kilt to be sexy.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    someone mentioned they'd be good in summer. NOT TRUE!!!! you're better off wearing shorts! those things are at least 2 layers of wool, if you're wearing a proper kilt. if you're going to do it, you gotta go all in and wear the tall socks, boots, shirt that compliments it. otherwise, as previously mentioned, you're just a dude in a skirt.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I love a man in a kilt, but the utili-kilt thing just screams "LOOK AT MEEEEEEE!"
    If you've got thick, defined, muscular calves, it's a definite blouse and panty dropper.
    Here's a cool site if you're still shopping. sportkilt dot com
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It all depends - are you gonna be "free ballin'"?
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    2 layers of wool!? You'd end up with bat wings.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    not my thing. don't like them.

I usually think a guy in a kilt is trying too hard to be something.

I'm not sure what he is trying to be... maybe scottish? maybe get attention? Maybe trying to be different.

...but if you like it, I say you rock that kilt !!
  • joelabro
    joelabro Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Cool at Renn Fest's, scottish games, etc. It would be a little weird to see a guy wearing one around though if not at those places. You said it, "attention hog." Of course, if you look tough enough, no one's going to bother you. I say do what you want you feel comfortable in, and don't let what other's think bother you.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Depends on the man, and whether or not he has the confidence (and legs) to pull off the look. I finally convinced my husband to get one a few years back that he only uses for ren faires... it's the Donegal County tartan in honor of his Dougherty heritage, and he looks HAWT in it!

I say go for it! :happy:
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If you can claim any kind if Scottish heritage and wear a properly tailored kilt in your clan tartan, it's not only cool, it's as sexy as hell.

Under any other circumstances, you're just a man in a skirt.
    Interesting. My fam has been in the states for a long long time and has lost all heritage, but there are grandma rumors of Scots-Irish heritage, like most of the white folks in the south. There is a tartan for my family name, but it's hard to justify $400 for a skirt.

Thanks for the input.

I have to agree. Please do not wear a kilt unless you are Scottish. If you have no association to the culture, you're just a man in a skirt.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you ARE free ballin', please do not ride the motorcycle.
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My dad is Scottish and our family actually have our own tartan. My brother has a kilt with our family's tartan and wears it on occasion. He doesn't look bad, but then again he is BUILT.

NO ONE makes fun of my brother when he wears his... but then again, my brother is 6'1" and is built like a brickhouse. :laugh:
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Men in kilts are hot! I say go for it!
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's a bit hypocritical of women to tell men not to wear skirts when we were denied pants for hundreds of years...

There could be a culture shift in a couple of years that swings it back into common usage, we don't know, but at the moment it's more of a rare thing. I usually see it at weddings when guys are being 'brave', and I know a guy who did a tall ships race to Scotland and got a McDonald clan kilt for his own namesake.

It's the 21st century, I say freedom in all things. If it suits you, go for it.