Are we there yet? Man in a kilt - cool or dorky?

Options

Replies

• moniquelessard
    Options
    I agree with previous posters. A Scot in a kilt with nice calves and confidence is HOT.

A non-Scot in a kilt is just weird, unless it's Halloween.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    It's a bit hypocritical of women to tell men not to wear skirts when we were denied pants for hundreds of years...

There could be a culture shift in a couple of years that swings it back into common usage, we don't know, but at the moment it's more of a rare thing. I usually see it at weddings when guys are being 'brave', and I know a guy who did a tall ships race to Scotland and got a McDonald clan kilt for his own namesake.

It's the 21st century, I say freedom in all things. If it suits you, go for it.

but he was just asking our opinion. Nobody is telling him that he's not allowed to. :)
  • Spartan518
    Spartan518 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lot of the ladies saying go for it. I once ran a 5K in a kilt, felt great ;) Key points that stood out and I agree with:

Support your heritage!
    Have the legs to pull it off!

What you showed looked great except for the extra strappy-things that hung off to the sides.

Spartans Kill Tanks!
  • BartsGurl
    BartsGurl Posts: 19
    Options
    DITTO.
  • FionaNiConnor
    FionaNiConnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Cool *and* dorky, which to my mind is a seriously hot combination.

Go. For. It.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of response. By my count:

32 Yeas
    9 Nays
    18 Just a statement or question - no opinion,

Thanks guys. I'll probably grab a casual kilt in black and wear it 3 times a year. No biggie.
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It's a bit hypocritical of women to tell men not to wear skirts when we were denied pants for hundreds of years...

There could be a culture shift in a couple of years that swings it back into common usage, we don't know, but at the moment it's more of a rare thing. I usually see it at weddings when guys are being 'brave', and I know a guy who did a tall ships race to Scotland and got a McDonald clan kilt for his own namesake.

It's the 21st century, I say freedom in all things. If it suits you, go for it.

Western Culture is the only place in the whole friggin world that it is socially unacceptable for a male to wear a ‘skirt’. That’s some sexiest crap!

(ok im going to let someone else speak now lol)
  • amandalfraser
    amandalfraser Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you can claim any kind if Scottish heritage and wear a properly tailored kilt in your clan tartan, it's not only cool, it's as sexy as hell.
    This^^^
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I can't find the quote right now, but I know there's a saying that even if you have just the tiniest trace of Scots in your family, you're Scottish.

Colonial America was loaded with Scots, so chances are pretty good that if there's rumors of it in your blood, it's there.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Totally cool! Love men in kilts:)
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I like them, think they're great, and know a lot of friends who wear them on a semi-regular basis....my friend is a construction working and wears them to work.

That being said, you are not properly wearing a kilt if you wear underwear ;)
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My husband is Scottish and wears his clan kilt proudly. I think men in kilts are HOT!!! :flowerforyou:

Slainte'
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    It all depends - are you gonna be "free ballin'"?

It's called "Regimental" and that's what I came here to ask.
  • CasperO
    Options
    I can't find the quote right now, but I know there's a saying that even if you have just the tiniest trace of Scots in your family, you're Scottish.

Colonial America was loaded with Scots, so chances are pretty good that if there's rumors of it in your blood, it's there.
    Thanks for this.

I'm from a large family of white folks in the south who vaguely claim "Scotch-Arsh". I had the standard issue 8 great grandparents and 16 great-great grandparents. It's almost unimaginable that there ain't a scot in there somewhere.

Part of my interest is my love for my daughter in-law, the former Miss McDowell. She's very proud of her Scottish heritage. There's no doubt my grandson can wear the kilt.
  • DannyM42
    DannyM42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you've decided to get one, so I'm a little late to the party. But if you've got the 'intestinal fortitude' to wear a kilt, you don't need anyone else telling you it's ok. And you're never going to regret it. I wear a Utilikilt, olive green Mocker style, and it's the most comfortable thing I own in every temperature from 2 degrees to 98 degrees. Haven't been anywhere that I wasn't comfortable in it, situation wise, either. From a baptism to camping to working in the yard.

Do it with style, man. And post some pics!
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am Scottish and yes, I've seen plenty men in kilts here (weddings, baptisms, Highland games, occassionally football matches if Scotland is playing) and yes, it can be hot if they guy has the legs for it.

BUT in saying that, I've also seen plenty of non-Scots buying and wearing kilts when they're over here on their holidays. They hardly ever know how to wear one, usually are wearing one that isn't properly made and therefore essentially is, in fact, a skirt and not a kilt and will get the mickey ripped out them if a Scot finds out they are a foreigner in a kilt (in my experience, at least. An interesting example was a visit to Stirling jail with three lanky Americans proudly wearing their kilts and the tour guide ripping it out them for the whole tour long). Point to note, for Americans visiting Scotland, also....we don't consider you Scottish because you had a distant ancestor who was Scottish!! I was stuck in a bus full of Americans once who were all telling me that they were Scottish yet didn't understand a word of my accent and also didn't understand why we didn't learn the bagpipes in school and wear kilts all day. It was a long and tiring day.

But, in saying that, you're going to wear a non-traditional kilt and you aren't going to be wearing it in Scotland and you look like a built enough guy that I'm sure no one is gonna to rip it, so if you really like it, go for it. Although, to be honest, I'm not sure it's worth the cost.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Thanks guru - wisdom there. I've seen "Ugly american tourists", I know what you're talking about. One can honor a heritage without aping, parodying or being disrespectful.
  • GraemePayne
    GraemePayne Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Why not? it's cool (temperature-wise) and practical. I have a few family members who wear them. Not only the Scots and Irish wore them. It's what the well-dressed Legionnaire of the Roman Empire wore.
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Not into the Utilikilts look, but my heritage is Scottish, so I might wear my family's tartan with some combat boots. Check out http://www.usakilts.com/ The sport kilt looks good...and some of the utilikilts are growing on me.

If you're a vet, the military tartans are cool--we could wear kilts in Air Force for formal events, and I would wear one for National Tartan Day (6 April), or the Scottish games coming up nearby. I never got mine, but I'm going to!!! Enjoy
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    From your profile pic, you could pull it off. I can't think of anything sexier than a Scot in a kilt. But if you (and I don't mean you personally) don't have any Scot in you, it's kinda poser-ish. It's usually only the punk teenagers that wear that kinda thing then.