Would you date someone whose religion is different than your

Options

Replies

• alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I usually stay out of arguments that involve "religion" but I am gonna chime in on this one. First off, I am a Christian and I do not believe in "religion" and I do not practice "religion". I have a personal relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ. I am saved by GRACE, because I am a sinner and I deserve the punishment that Christ took for me on the cross. That being said, I believe as a born again Christian, you should marry one, not someone from another religion. And I certainly would never marry someone who claims there is no GOD. The Bible states you cannot serve two masters, because you will love one and hate the other. Therefore, I see being unequally yoked as trying to serve two masters, one wordly and one Godly. There is a good Christian man out there for you, just pray for God to bring him into your life. Seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you.
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    Wow what bigotry and ntolerance. Brainwashing your children to believe in the same myths and fairy tales is child abuse. I should know, I spent years trying to escape the dogmatic fear of hell. Dumping someone just because he or she doesn't share your made up religion is childish and pathetic. One day he will get over you and find someone better then you and someone with brains who wouldn't put their children through that.

GEE, Thanks! How do you know that he didn't break up with me? You don't! Once again, the question I asked was, "WOULD YOU DATE SOMEONE WHOSE RELIGIOUS BELIEFS DIFFER FROM YOURS?"
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    Anyone else out there who's been married a long, long time (20 +) may agree with me when I say that any relationship you want to last the test of time needs all the cards stacked. Some time or another, your faith in GOD may be the only thing that keeps you together & you'll be so glad for it once the "crisis" time is over.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    You need to decide what is important to you. If you have a genuine relationship with God, do not compromise with someone who does not. Being a chrstian is not a religion it is a personal relationship with God. Having to be the person to do all of the religious training even though my husband did not object can be difficult. Those who do not believe is their choice but do not be intolerant with snide remarks at those of us who chose to raise our children to love the Lord.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Jesus loves all of you very much
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in religion and question all underlying belief I may have in god.

With that said...anyone who states they won't allow their children to go to church is ridiculous. People, Including children, should have the right to make their own decisions about their beliefs.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I was raised Catholic, but since I was very little, I learned quickly that I did not agree with most of their beliefs. I did get confirmed even though I did not want to and even told my family and my church that. They told me to just do it anyway. I follow a more Agnostic belief system. My daughter's father is Russian Orthodox. He was going to become a priest, but obviously ended up not going down that path. So, needless to say, he is pretty religious. I believe that our daughter should learn about ALL religions and decide for herself what she believes, if anything. Of course, he wants her to go down a more Orthodox belief system, but I am adamant that she should decide that for herself when she is old enough. He is okay with that.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    I don't believe in religion and question all underlying belief I may have in god.

With that said...anyone who states they won't allow their children to go to church is ridiculous. People, Including children, should have the right to make their own decisions about their beliefs.

Although with that said...forcing your children to go to church is just as bad.
  • seonf
    seonf Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah and my dad is an atheist and mum is a Christian. It does work out and some Christians would date outside their religion.
    10036 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't date someone who is religious. I have a very religious family and it bothers me to no end. I'm not sure how it goes with the casually religious--people who call themselves members of some random denomination of this religion or that, and never take it too seriously. But for really religious people, it seeps into all the little parts of their lives. Can lead to unnecessary distaste for your significant other. No thanks.
  • seonf
    Options

Yes but children should have the right to decide if they WANT TO go to church or not without being forced to by well meaning parents.
  • tjamuna1
    tjamuna1 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i think alot of people need to stop praising / praying to jesus and more of the most high
    you might not see it but when you pray to jesus/mary/saints your praying to idols and being a pagan
  • lukeout007
    Options

Yes but children should have the right to decide if they WANT TO go to church or not without being forced to by well meaning parents.

Agreed. Read my next comment...I added that in.
  • broekte
    broekte Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is very disappointing. The OP only asked if she should consider taking back her ex because he is willing to compromise on religion. She wasn't asking for a diatribe from everyone whether or not they are believers or not. I guess it is a post about religion though and gave people a chance to get on their soapbox. As for the actual question I will say I think it will be very hard to make a relationship work without having similar beliefs if you want to bring kids in the world. They will have many questions and if you are not on the same page it sends a very mixed signal and will confuse them terribly.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    i think alot of people need to stop praising / praying to jesus and more of the most high
    you might not see it but when you pray to jesus/mary/saints your praying to idols and being a pagan

Pretty sure the validity of religion is not the original intent of the topic.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I'm an Athiest and would prefer to date Athiests and Agnostics. Blind faith is just not something I can be intimate with as a woman of science.

I wouldn't want my kids to go to church unless I'd educated them about all the different ideas about the origin of the universe and they personally decided to explore that religion.

I second this. You summed it up perfectly.

As an athest, I couldn't date anyone religious but that is my personal opinion. Seriously the comments about god make me nuts most days!! Am I going to the freedom rally, no... because I believe religious views r personal. I don't push them on my children or anyone. I do the opposite and educate them on all religions :)
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Wow what bigotry and ntolerance. Brainwashing your children to believe in the same myths and fairy tales is child abuse. I should know, I spent years trying to escape the dogmatic fear of hell. Dumping someone just because he or she doesn't share your made up religion is childish and pathetic. One day he will get over you and find someone better then you and someone with brains who wouldn't put their children through that.
    Am I the only one who spots the irony in this?

Hello? This is bigoted and intolerant.

I am an atheist and would not reject someone based on religion, but we'd have to have a heart to heart about our priorities and what is important to us. We may not be compatible.
  • seonf
    Options
    No. I am not religious and I wouldn't date sOmeone who was.

I would as long as they didn't keep trying to convert me. I just wish we could all get along, religious differences shouldn't be such an issue.
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I couldn't cope with a religious partner. I like to share the same world views and feel that we're on the same page. I respect other's beliefs (as long as they don't try to inflict them on others) but I just couldn't take a guy seriously if he believed in some sort of creationism! Fortunately my man is also scientifically minded!
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've been through several religions in my lifetime. I'm still not settled with one, and don't think I ever will. I've "dabbled" in being a Catholic, Wiccan, Christian, and Agnostic. Right now, I moreso tend to just proclaim myself as "spiritual" because that's what it is. To each their own.

My boyfriend is Catholic, and he absolutely wants church to be a part of his not-yet-existent children's futures. I personally have nothing against it. It might help that I was raised Catholic, but honestly...it's not going to harm a kid to have two different view points. In fact, it might make them very open minded. If it is handled honestly and maturely, there should be tons of room for open discussions about religion. After all, maybe your kids won't turn out to be Christian anyways. They have to choose for themselves, and they'll be exposed to someone who believes something else at some point in ther lives anyways. What's the difference if it comes from Dad?

It could make things like marriage interesting, too. Do you hold it in a church? Is that comfortable with him? Have discussions with him, be open about it. After all, if there is a God, he created us all, and loves us all equally (I believe, anyways) and if the person that is right for you doesn't do exactly as you do on one day of the week, that's okay!

Look into your heart, pray on it, and most of all - talk to the man! Be honest and open about what you both want and expect.