Would you date someone whose religion is different than your

Options

Replies

• Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Nope. He must be a Lebanese Maronite Catholic notwithstanding my actual beliefs.
  • trina614
    trina614 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I don not believe the same thing but for us it doesn't matter. I am fine with my children going to church and he is fine with them decide what they believe when they are older. With religion as with all things in life compromises need to be made for the good of a relationship. If he wasn't will to compromise at it could be a sign that he would not compromise in anything else in the relationship
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am an atheist who actively is involved in activities designed to keep religion out of public venues. So I would never in a million years date someone who believes in a god.

But my brother is also an atheist and is married to a christian and she occasionally takes the kids to church. He doesn't go, but has no objections to the kids going. He just isn't a believer, but isn't like me who is anti-religion.

So it can work, but I think you'll want to be 100% sure how passionately you both feel before considering getting back together.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    In before the thread locks!!

(to answer your question, I would date someone with different beliefs as long as we can respect each other's decision. However I do not intend to have children. I don't know how I'd think differently if I wanted kids. I do think it's possible that your ex is genuine though.)
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've only had one boyfriend (and we are basically engaged) and we met at church.

But if I wasn't with him, I could only date someone with the same beliefs as me. I came to my relationship with Jesus Christ on my own, and over the years I have come to realize what I want and expect in my future family. I want my husband to believe the same thing I do. I want my marriage to be founded on Christ. I want my husband to be the spiritual leader of our home and family. I want my children to grow up in a Christian home. I know that I wouldn't be able to find that outside of my religion
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    As a Christian, I wouldn't date anyone who wasn't also a Christian In the past, I have dated men who weren't Christian but fortunately they didn't work out. My daughter is married to a Christian man and I'm always telling my (single) son that he shouldn't date anyone who's not a Christian.
  • dictations
    dictations Posts: 199
    Options
    I'm an Athiest, and I can't take anyone who truly believes in some false god seriously, so most likely not.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'm Atheist, and I doubt I could. I have in the past, but there were a lot of compromises made that I would like to not have to make again.
  • tjamuna1
    tjamuna1 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i think alot of people need to stop praising / praying to jesus and more of the most high
    you might not see it but when you pray to jesus/mary/saints your praying to idols and being a pagan

The Trinity...God in 3 persons. God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit. I pray to God in Jesus name. There is only one name by which man can be saved, and that is Jesus!

why trinity why not count mary didnt she have a significant role as the mother of jesus
    as a woman one would think you wouldnt bypass the saviours mother??
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am pretty surprised with the answers. I honestly thought 'sure, as long as we respect each others beliefs and raise our kids learning from both perspectives, so they can to do the same' would be the general gist of it. I'm not judging, just observing.
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    lmao... what a bunch of intolerant pricks lol
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I would give someone of a different religion a chance. If they tried to change my views, then out they go.

If you have all these questions about your relationship, you should be asking your ex, because only the two of you can decide what is the best for the BOTH of you.

it seems that there are devout religious people who wouldn't give someone of a different religion a chance (I thought you weren't supposed to judge others? hmmm)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am pretty surprised with the answers. I honestly thought 'sure, as long as we respect each others beliefs and raise our kids learning from both perspectives, so they can to do the same' would be the general gist of it. I'm not judging, just observing.

My parents, a Jew and a Christian, ran into this problem when they had kids. How does one teach a child to believe in the existence of Christ, and believe that the savior has not yet come to Earth simultaneously?

My boyfriend and I don't ever plan on having children, so that really isn't an issue for me, but I wouldn't really be comfortable dating someone who believed in a higher being.
  • Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    Well..now my ex has changed his tune a little, and says he'd allow his children to go to church.
    And you believe him, that's cute.

gee, thanks.

Thank you (everyone else) for your responses! Keep them comin'!
    Do you think I'm joking? Honey. Think about it for a few seconds. He didn't suddenly do a 180 on his beliefs. He's telling you what you want to hear to get you back. Open your eyes OK?

...I'm going to keep my mouth shut and just ignore you.
    Try looking up the word "gullible" in the dictionary, sweetie. Sorry if the extremely obvious truth offends you.

I don't think the truth bothers her as much as the fact that you are being a jerk.
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i think alot of people need to stop praising / praying to jesus and more of the most high
    you might not see it but when you pray to jesus/mary/saints your praying to idols and being a pagan

The Trinity...God in 3 persons. God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit. I pray to God in Jesus name. There is only one name by which man can be saved, and that is Jesus!

why trinity why not count mary didnt she have a significant role as the mother of jesus
    as a woman one would think you wouldnt bypass the saviours mother??

Mary did have an important role. She was Jesus's earthly mother, but just as important was Joseph as Jesus's earthly father. Mary was just a common, ordinary woman who had a great faith in God, and was willing for the Holy Spirit to use her. Mary was not Divine, just a young Jewish girl. God could just have easily chose any other Jewish girl, but he chose Mary. That makes her special, but not worthy of worship.
  • tjamuna1
    tjamuna1 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    yes i understand what ur saying but to me
    the most high is the only one worthy of my full dedication the rest is trickary
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Mary was not Divine, just a young Jewish girl. God could just have easily chose any other Jewish girl, but he chose Mary. That makes her special, but not worthy of worship.

As someone who was raised a young Jewish girl, I would be pretty annoyed to be "chosen".
  • Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    Marriage is so freaking hard even if you don't enter into it with an enormous issue like different religious beliefs. I have been married 8 years and I waited until my 30s to ensure I married the right person. I was 100% sure and we have had issues like you wouldn't believe. Everyone is different and I am not suggesting that b/c I have had marital problems you would too, I am just saying that I think going into it with such a huge disparity in beliefs might be setting up your relationship for failure.

For me, personally, I don't believe in organized religion and I wouldn't have kids with someone who wanted our kids to go to church b/c I think that church can be very detrimental. I went to a Baptist school from kindergarten through 8th grade and I definitely think there are a lot of negative things that come from organized religion/church. I bring this up b/c even if he sincerely thinks he can let the kids go to church (sounds like he really loves you and thinks he can change his mind so you can be together) he might actually feel differently when we sees the kids going to church and listens to the ideas they get from church that he opposes.

It seems like it would be way less painful to break up now than stay together and have kids and then have this conflict of ideology really become a huge issue. I know it's hard, I dated a devout Mormon for 4 years and loved him very much.

Just my thoughts. Best of luck to you!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am an atheist and I wouldn't date anyone that believes in a deity. I have friends that are of all religious backgrounds and we respect each others view points. It is different when it is someone you are in a partnership in and are making joint decisions in your lives.

Shared core values are extremely important in dating/marriage/significant other relationships.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I was out of line before. I apologize.