Diatomaceous Earth

Options
Does anyone use it? I just bought some and I have a DE, Protein and Kefir smoothie waiting in the fridge for me. I'm slightly scared to drink it :/ Not knowing if the DE and Protein will interact..... any advice?

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Honestly, something used to filter swimming pools, where you are supposed to wear a mask to filter it, is NOT something that I would be ingesting.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Honestly, something used to filter swimming pools, where you are supposed to wear a mask to filter it, is NOT something that I would be ingesting.

Agreed.

I don't really know much about it, but I do know it's recommended for treating bed bugs/fleas. You spread it out on your carpet- and yes, you're supposed to wear a mask while doing it.

But really- honest question here- why do you want to eat it? What are you hoping to accomplish? Are you just trying to feel full without extra calories? If so, you might try phylum husks or chia seeds.
  • ssweet1020
    ssweet1020 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use it to de-louse my chickens lol....I know people who put it in their stockpiled grains to keep the bugs out. Never thought of putting it in a shake before
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about it but I DO recall gathering either 4 of 8 of these in Zul'Drak.
  • amandalfraser
    amandalfraser Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I feed it to my horses- to keep internal parasites at bay.
  • Crystalmac82
    Crystalmac82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to eat pool cleaner -_- .... really?

There is a FOOD GRADE DE that has a high concentration of Silica. DE is basically ground fresh water fossils and diatoms. Totally organic and multi purpose. If you research the benefits of a high silica diet, I think these people are onto something.

I'm actually looking for people who are researched and experienced in using DE.... not people who are trying to school me on why not to use it. Thanks.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about it, but it sounds delicious!
  • Crystalmac82
    Crystalmac82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    And supposedly the "clay" that moves through your digestive tract after you ingest DE is negatively charged and most bacteria is positively charged so it helps to remove impurities. Also, the particles are just jagged enough to impale the exoskeleton of parasites, which removes them in the case that you have any. But are not harmful to internal organs. I haven't read any negative reactions or side effects. I'm just nervous to try something that isn't "main stream"....
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to eat pool cleaner -_- .... really?

There is a FOOD GRADE DE that has a high concentration of Silica. DE is basically ground fresh water fossils and diatoms. Totally organic and multi purpose. If you research the benefits of a high silica diet, I think these people are onto something.

I'm actually looking for people who are researched and experienced in using DE.... not people who are trying to school me on why not to use it. Thanks.
    Ooh...wrong move.
    This thread is about to turn ugly. Hang on while I grab my popcorn.

And go!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Um--we buy it in garden supply shops to disembowel garden bugs--it's sharp, and it cuts them up. It comes with a warning to wear a face mask because it can do wowser lung damage if inhaled.

I can't imagine ingesting it intentionally--what's it supposed to do?
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Interesting! We used DE and sprinkle it around the edges of our house to kill insects - works great!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about it but I DO recall gathering either 4 of 8 of these in Zul'Drak.

As a former WoW nerd, I lol'd.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i use the food grade DE to deal with bugs in the chicken coop.............. i think you can use it in your gardens too ( in the soil) but, i haven't done that.
  • ashley67203
    Options
    I Googled this because I'd never heard of eating DE for anything other than internal parasites and found a lot of confusing information about it, couldn't find anything from medical studies. What exactly is it supposed to do?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    And supposedly the "clay" that moves through your digestive tract after you ingest DE is negatively charged and most bacteria is positively charged so it helps to remove impurities. Also, the particles are just jagged enough to impale the exoskeleton of parasites, which removes them in the case that you have any. But are not harmful to internal organs. I haven't read any negative reactions or side effects. I'm just nervous to try something that isn't "main stream"....

that sounds magical.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

This is a great link. Read it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Jeezus Christ, why can't people just eat FOOD anymore?

sigh.png
  • PerfectlyOdd
    Options

As a former WoW nerd, I lol'd.

as a current wow nerd, i chuckled.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Jeezus Christ, why can't people just eat FOOD anymore?

sigh.png

I eat food. :smile:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

so what magical mixture do you use with it that puts back the good bacteria you also kill?