who started carbs for breakfast?

Options
123457»

Replies

• agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Note: I am NOT a conspiracy theorist in any way, but I am a realist. A number of years ago I did a consulting project for the USDA, and I learned that they aren't an impartial bunch of regulators. They also promote sales of US agricultural products, and they work closely with the producers. In addition to that, the agricultural lobby is HUGE and *very* rich, and they really really want USDA to recommend that people eat a lot of dairy and grains.

So no, I do not trust dietary recommendations from USDA, at all.

Every conspiracy theorist I've ever heard from (and believe me, I've heard from A LOT) also considers themselves to be a realist. Like you they then go on to assert they're right with anecdotal, unverifiable evidence. Oddly enough it seems they too always "work somewhere" or "know a guy" who gave them the real truth the rest of us are just too common to get. They tell you to use your head, ignore large government agencies who have represented the public health and well being for decades, and trust them, complete strangers on the internet.

So no. Until I get solid evidence otherwise I will trust the United States Department of Agriculture over the story I read from agentscully51.

It's not a fringe conspiracy theory, and it's not even a secret that the food industry has influence over nurtition guidelines.
    Here's some evidence for you. No wikipedia, no fluffy websites, no baseless assertions here. I hope my sources are up to your standards.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/us/school-lunch-proposals-set-off-a-dispute.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=school lunch&st=cse

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cholesterol/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100153762

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/pyramid-full-story/index.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/11/the-potato-dispute-should-we-allow-starch-in-school-meals/247840/

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/menus/who-decides-lunch-plans.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/16/pizza-vegetable-school-lunches-lobbyists_n_1098029.html

And here is Harvard School of Public Health's alternative to USDA's My Plate. From the introduction:
    "The Healthy Eating Plate, created by experts at Harvard School of Public Health and Harvard Medical School, points consumers to the healthiest choices in the major food groups. The U.S. Department of Agriculture's MyPlate, in contrast, fails to give people some of the basic nutrition advice they need to choose a healthy diet. The Healthy Eating Plate is based exclusively on the best available science and was not subjected to political and commercial pressures from food industry lobbyists."

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/healthy-eating-plate-vs-usda-myplate/index.html
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Rice grows naturaly, it is the seed of the monocot plants. Wheat and barley are man made hybrids that never would have existed if not for us.
    Your argument makes no sense at all. Are you in favor of avoiding all human technology, including all modern supplements and medical therapies?

I suppose that depends on what it is... Your telling me you like the toxins found in grains? I avoid them for the same reason I avoid transfats.
    Toxins, haha. Do you purposely ignore the research indicating the neutrality &/or health-promoting effects of grains in order to not anger the gods of your anti-grain religion? Good thing most of the longest-living, healthiest populations on this planet do not live by the rules of your religion. Even the bulk of controlled trials do not support your fear of grains, and we're talking about diets that aren't even optimized from a macronutritional standpoint. Folks who preach dietary extremes are simply ignorant of the totality of the scientific evidence, and it's obvious that you're one of them. And once again, I'm happy to see that majority here are not taking you seriously - especially after your selective definition of what's a grain & what's not. I would be impressed to find out that you are not a troll. Good luck with your goals in 2012, just don't expect to create many converts to your doctrine.

It is unfortunate the number of people here who simply want to troll instead of making intelligent discussion.
  • AlanAragon
    AlanAragon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is unfortunate the number of people here who simply want to troll instead of making intelligent discussion.
    Call the kettle black much? Trollish behavior is making bold claims & accusations & not putting up supporting research. You are doing lots of hand-waving & whistle-blowing, yet you have put up zilch in terms of research that backs up your preachings. And to reiterate, you've used the weak timeline argument, and also the weak human engineering of foods argument, and then you topped it off with a discriminatory definition of grains. You have contributed nothing but baseless claims to this discussion. Try presenting evidence for your claims if you want to add some quality to the discussion.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Call the kettle black much? Trollish behavior is making bold claims & accusations & not putting up supporting research. You are doing lots of hand-waving & whistle-blowing, yet you have put up zilch in terms of research that backs up your preachings. And to reiterate, you've used the weak timeline argument, and also the weak human engineering of foods argument, and then you topped it off with a discriminatory definition of grains. You have contributed nothing but baseless claims to this discussion. Try presenting evidence for your claims if you want to add some quality to the discussion.

I posted several links to information for you to read, troll much?
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I feel better if i have protein for breakfast. Usually a hard boiled egg.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I fill up MUCH better with a banana, cereal, and almond milk compared to eggs...everyone is different...
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If I had an egg first thing in the morning I'd feel sick, to be honest.... Love my oatmeal
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    LOL, I don't know, but it's different in every country! My Polish immigrant Grandfather started the day with sausage, not little ones either and he lived to be 93! My Grandma, rye toast and creamy coffee, and she lived to be 93 too!

When we lived in Germany people would eat brotchen(hard roll) with cheese and lunchmeat for breakfast.
  • almaster666
    almaster666 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want to eat so long as it's quality foods and allow you to stay in your calorie range
    I need carbs in the morning otherwise I feel groggy and tired...
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    As soon as I wake up all groogy and irritable, I drink a beer and a shot of whiskey. I feel like a million bucks shortly after..
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    We are all unique.

I eat 1 bowl of high fiber oatmeal (sometimes I add fresh blueberries) and I also have 1 slice of natures own double fiber whole wheat toast w/ half a tbsp of unsalted butter. Carbs? Yes. However, I also have 15 grams of protein by 9 am. Works for me. :)

++decaf coffee w/ 1/4 cup almond milk
  • kstep88
    Options
    As soon as I wake up all groogy and irritable, I drink a beer and a shot of whiskey. I feel like a million bucks shortly after..

yessss!
  • kstep88
    Options
    Eat whatever you want to eat so long as it's quality foods and allow you to stay in your calorie range
    I need carbs in the morning otherwise I feel groggy and tired...

me too! the other guy says whiskey will help! haha
  • almaster666
    almaster666 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

So that's the secret morning solution that I needed to discover. Thank you, you've opened my eyes :p
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I always eat carbs/fats/protein for breakfast..why not? I workout first thing in the morning and replenish my body right afterwards :) It's worked like a charm!
  • AlanAragon
    AlanAragon Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I posted several links to information for you to read, troll much?
    If you don't know the difference between scientific sources & unscientific sources, then I won't be the guy to teach you the basics. Most everyone in this thread gets it -- eat the breakfast that suits your personal preference & tolerance, whether it contains grains or not. It's amusing that you cannot comprehend this simple concept, but oh well, trolls gonna troll. I'm done, you can continue to respond with nothing of substance. If nothing else, you've been consistent.
  • fubar2us
    fubar2us Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Not sure if the original post was answered at all in the 6 pages we have here but let us have a small history lesson on the need for mass marketing of breakfast. First I will agree people have been eating carbs for breakfast forever. Oats, Rice, grains, all easy quick meals many generations of cultures have had every morning since the begining of Agriculture.

The real push came back in the late 19th century. Many people were looking for something that would store easy and be quick to make. This was particularly important in the west with the catle men. Hardtak was the first thing to come along that was used. a mixture of oats and corn meal bound together. shredded wheat came next. and as packaging became more readily available more and more cereals became available for consumption. eventualy we ended up with the culture we have today when every day must start with "A balanced breakfast," which consists of you cereal in milk, 2 pieces of toast, fruit, and juice. All with a grand total of way more than you need.
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    rjt1000 I do microwave eggs for breakfast too - like a frittata/scrambled/ omelette - 1 or 2 eggs in microwave dish, a little low fat milk and cheese, add chopped veges as liked, microwave 1 to 2 mins on high and voila!
  • Josh
    Josh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    2. No Hi-Jacking Topics

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.
    In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Fish
    MyFitnessPal Forum Staff
This discussion has been closed.