Guide: Properly lose BODY FAT % (For Women)!

Options
This is mainly for women (but really can also be used by Men) who are concerned more so with body fat % than just losing weight (fat and lean muscle). Yes, you are losing body fat when you're dieting but you are also losing some lean muscle to go with it. The reason why most fitness experts pay attention to body fat % is mainly to NOT lose lean muscle mass they have already gained while they are still shedding weight from losing body fat.

So, this is your basic guide you can use to get started on losing body fat %.

Even though this website already has a system of calculating how many calories you really need daily (depending on how long you want to lose weight/your goal). I still think it's important to calculate your BMR (Body Metabolic Rate) and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

Doing that is reassurance on your part and most importantly it's a good way to figure out how many calories you need to consume to lose body fat % and not lose much lean muscle % you already started with.

I'll use me as an example:
My TDEE is around 2700, and if I fell under that calorie range - I will surely lose more body fat.
However, my BMR is around 1800, meaning if I fell under the 1800 calorie range- I'm likely to lose more lean muscle than fat.

So losing body fat (w/out muscle mass) is all about finding your sweet spot between your TDEE and BMR where you don't lose too much strength at the gym (muscle mass) but still lose weight. You can actually go under your BMR by a safe amount because not everyone has the same metabolism rate. Right now, I'm keeping my calories around 2000 when I'm cutting body fat, less on the days I don't go to the gym because my body needs a bit more energy to function/recover when I work out.

Here are some basic tips I recommend that has worked for me (some of it you may already know):

While cutting body fat, you'll be eating the least amount of calories your body needs. So it's important that you properly portion out your meals throughout the day so you don't starve yourself.
The reason:
Our bodies actually panic when we get into a starving mode and it ends up storing more fat later which you obviously don't want to happen. The more consistent your meals are, the more body fat you will actually lose since your body will "think" you don't need to keep it. So that's another reason why you shouldn't jump down to a real low calorie diet to start, gradually progress down and by keeping it close to your BMR.

Next, you have to get your nutrients with a variety of foods, important because you're putting a lot of pressure on your body with exercise and you need to recover properly. It may be helpful in my opinion to use a multivitamin while you are cutting to add to your daily vitamin intake.

And last but not least, carbs and protein, fats play a big part when it comes to cutting body fat.

I don't recommend really low carb diets (like Atkin's) however, cutting the right amount of carbs out will get you the most results. This is because overdose of carbs is readily stored as fat and in times of deprivation, fat-storage increases. Picking the right carbs also helps, low digestive carbs help you not feel hungry unlike less complex carbs.

Protein (lean obviously) is also recommended to be taken to the grams of your lean body mass. So if you had 15% body fat and weighed 100lbs, you would have to have 85 grams of protein each day to not lose lean muscle mass. However, most people who cut carbs agree that you should have a higher protein intake (10%-15% higher than your lean mass).

Fats are recommended to be taken a bit higher than normal because your body needs it to recover properly. Good fats are also a great way to get protein most of the time (peanut butter is an example).

So, that's really all you need to know to get started on burning fat!.

Here is an article you may find helpful for losing fat but I don't recommend everything (especially not fat burners) they addressed: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catcommand2.htm

But make sure you do your research on the appropriate food intake and take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt (even what I just told you) because everyone is different and we all function differently.

I hope this helps, and best of luck losing body fat % without losing your lean muscle mass!

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'll use me as an example:
    My TDEE is around 2700, and if I fell under that calorie range - I will surely lose more body fat.
    However, my BMR is around 1800, meaning if I fell under the 1800 calorie range- I'm likely to lose more lean muscle than fat.
    Everyone should read this bit, if nothing else.
  • Ohbutiloveicecream
    Ohbutiloveicecream Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to post this! SO helpful!
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've recently plateaued on my body fat percentage.
    I can't seem to move it AT ALL even though I do cardio for an hour fives times a week.
    And not moderate cardio, my shirt is soaking by the time I'm done.
    In addition to 30-45 minutes of weight training by myself and with a trainer.

I calculated my TDEE and BMR.
    TDEE: 2899
    BMR: 1685

Should I not stay at consuming 1200 cals a day?
    Should I bump it up to maybe 1500? 1600?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    While cutting body fat, you'll be eating the least amount of calories your body needs. So it's important that you properly portion out your meals throughout the day so you don't starve yourself.
    The reason:
    Our bodies actually panic when we get into a starving mode and it ends up storing more fat later which you obviously don't want to happen. The more consistent your meals are, the more body fat you will actually lose since your body will "think" you don't need to keep it. So that's another reason why you shouldn't jump down to a real low calorie diet to start, gradually progress down and by keeping it close to your BMR.

Lol que? Lower meal frequency would not make your body think it's "starving"
    I don't recommend really low carb diets (like Atkin's) however, cutting the right amount of carbs out will get you the most results. This is because overdose of carbs is readily stored as fat and in times of deprivation, fat-storage increases. Picking the right carbs also helps, low digestive carbs help you not feel hungry unlike less complex carbs.

How high of an overdose are we talking? I think you need to do a little reading on DNL in humans and when it occurs
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    What if your BMR is only like 250 calories less than your TDEE. Lol, I could be the slightest bit innacurate and not lose.

Although, correct me if I'm wrong.... You can lose body fat WITHOUT being in a deficit. Right?

Edit: just thought I'd ask since you don't specify fat loss vs. weight loss.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to move it AT ALL even though I do cardio for an hour fives times a week.

Definitely increase your calories to at least 1400 for a few weeks, and make sure you're doing intervals, not just steady-state cardio. You may be soaked when you're done, but intervals is where it's at. Good luck plateauing when you're hauling @$$ as fast as you can on a stairstepper or treadmill.
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Definitely increase your calories to at least 1400 for a few weeks, and make sure you're doing intervals, not just steady-state cardio. You may be soaked when you're done, but intervals is where it's at. Good luck plateauing when you're hauling @$$ as fast as you can on a stairstepper or treadmill.

^^^They are right, increase your calories closer to your BMR. Another thing, make sure you pick the right amount of carbs during your plateau, they are typically what stands between your way when it comes to body% loss. This is a great post on the type of carbs you should choose:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/532247-let

My current carb source right now comes in the morning from oatmeal (I workout right after), and then veggies/beans the rest of the day. I RARELY even touch brown rice, wheat bread,potato...etc I do lose some energy at the gym, but it have to sacrifice that in order to get through my plateau.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • CallOnRo
    CallOnRo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrandiD56
    BrandiD56 Posts: 103
    Options
    bump
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Yes! EAT MORE!!!
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    The reason:

Lol que? Lower meal frequency would not make your body think it's "starving"

How high of an overdose are we talking? I think you need to do a little reading on DNL in humans and when it occurs

Lower frequency meals are fine, it's just that we are having less calories throughout the day, our bodies aren't used to it. I suggest to have more frequent meals but with smaller portions (maybe 2-3 hours apart) so you never get into a catabolic mode.

My other point was carbs, they are ultimately the main obstacle in our body % goal. If you have any suggestions/things you find will help, feel free to add or let everyone know.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Why do you address this to women in the headline, and justify what you say based almost entirely on it being "what worked for you?" If you think gender is important in this regard, wouldn't you want to address it to men?
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    So, I have the same issue of not knowing how many calories I should be eating.

TDEE: 2266
    BMR: 1597

Current calorie allowance: 1600

Does that sound fair?
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.

I want to lose fat but not my muscle that I have worked so hard for!
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    Bump
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Interesting info! Thanks!! Fit is my goal not skinny! :happy: