"Lost 100lbs & found out what the world thinks of fat ppl"

Options

Replies

• busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Great read. I can definitely relate in the reverse sense though, I used to be thin and received lots of attention. Now i'm bigger, and yeah...
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Saving to read later! Thanks =)
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    That is a great article. It is one of the reasons I can't imagine being my size as a woman. It isn't better or worse to be a fat man than a woman, but it is different. I feel the same way about how differently people treat you as you get smaller, but for the sake of discussion I want to bring up the biggest difference that I have noticed (other than what has been talked about already.)

Ironically, one of the things that I HATED when I was at my largest was how people "helped" me with things I shouldn't have needed help with. It hurt my pride when I would hear "let me get that for you" or "No, you stay there." It was like cutting my nuts off.

Friends wouldn't ask me to help them move. If they were going somewhere like an amusement park they didn't want to embarrass me. One of the things that finally gave me my come to Jesus moment was when my daughter, who was about 5 at the time, told me "I will ask mommy to go, I know you don't like to walk."

I was always athletic and strong. Being overweight is different when you are strong and on the football team or the rugby team. I dressed like a slob because one of my defenses was that I would rather look intimidating than neat. I would wear shirts that would emphasize my arms or shoulders and would never tuck anything in because it gave a straighter line. I could look intimidating enough that I never was directly teased often.

I am just relieved now that people are not as "nice" as they used to be.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading this well written story. I was thin until I was 22 (lost control during pregnancy and never got it back). Anyway, it's sad, but I was horrible. My friends and I made fun of others for just about anything. Karma's a *****.

Since I have been obese, I am constantly imagining what other people are thinking when they see me, especially if they have to get close to me. I can almost hear their perceived cruel thoughts. I imagine everyone is as mean as I was. At least I got something out of the obese experience...compassion and empathy.

I am now looking forward to being healthy, thin and nice.
  • sorchagriannon
    Options
    I am on the journey of major weight loss, and I worry about this. When I go to the supermarket to buy food for my family, I will watch the checker be outgoing and friendly with everyone in front of me, yet she can barely return my greeting or look at me. I'm friendly, and try to be polite when every I am out and about, but it's a rare thing to have the same politeness returned. I would think it's just the way the clerk/cashier/ect is, except I tend to be singled out for rudeness. (BTW, when I go shopping, my cart is much more healthy than those around me, and it's a rare day that I buy junk food).
    I have lost over 50 lbs (from a start weight of 371lb at my highest), and almost dread having to deal with the two-faced people once I do get down to a lower weight. I am shy and sensitive, so, yeah, it's going to hit me.
  • sorchagriannon
    Options
    I do not understand why society looks down upon being overweight as it does. We all have our flaws, vices, and personal battles. Perhaps being overweight is visible and so it is targeted, albeit unjustly. I don't have any solutions...but thank you posting. It is inspiring, and an excellent reminder to treat all of those around us with love and respect--regardless of appearance.

I think a lot of it is overweight people like myself are just easy targets. We (as a whole) tend to not defend ourselves and will just stand there and take it, perhaps acting like we don't hear the comments directed at us. There is a lot of self-hate as well, because of what we hear constantly from society, and a lot of us feel we deserve it. It's not right, and only serves to bring on emotional eating and more weight gain. Fat-shaming will never work.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love this!!

10 years ago I lost 90lbs and was at 149, I stayed between 149 and 166 for about 4-5 years. I noticed a LOT of changes in how I was treated, and then it was heartbreaking as I regained all of it plus as I noticed getting treated differently once again. Slowly stopped getting invited out as much, male friends stopped talking to me as much especially.

Now that I'm on my way back down, I haven't really been out as much to notice the difference as much, mind you I still have at least 50lbs to go before I think I'll really notice.
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    People who would never dream of saying rude or insulting things will do so when they perceive someone as fat. I attended a concert a few years ago where a man going to his seat commented that fat people should be seated in the middle of a row so normal people would not have to crawl over them, while looking directly at me. I felt so hurt and shocked I was unable to respond. I am overweight and have even trying for years to do something about it. This site has provided me with the tools to be successful. But I doubt no matter how fit I become I will ever recover for the sting of that comment, and many more whispered behind my back.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I do not understand why society looks down upon being overweight as it does. We all have our flaws, vices, and personal battles. Perhaps being overweight is visible and so it is targeted, albeit unjustly. I don't have any solutions...but thank you posting. It is inspiring, and an excellent reminder to treat all of those around us with love and respect--regardless of appearance.

I think a lot of it is overweight people like myself are just easy targets. We (as a whole) tend to not defend ourselves and will just stand there and take it, perhaps acting like we don't hear the comments directed at us. There is a lot of self-hate as well, because of what we hear constantly from society, and a lot of us feel we deserve it. It's not right, and only serves to bring on emotional eating and more weight gain. Fat-shaming will never work.

There is also a general attitude that we are fat and it is our own fault. While that is true to some degree, things aren't that simple. This idea though is why so many people feel they have free reign to treat others like crap. As if it is somehow deserved.

The hard part is how many of us hate ourselves because we think that way too. We must be worthless or we wouldn't have let this happen.

When you do lose the weight, there is no healthy reason to question others, or hold a grudge.

I am nicer to myself as I get smaller, how can I truly be angry at someone else doing the same thing?
  • Emmabella11
    Options
    I used to be really skinny and goood shape. 120lb at 22 yrs old. I was so popular and etc. many friends and etc....then I got pregnant..twice in two years and had hard/bad years for my bad marriages been in middle of divorce was the most broke my heart bad..five years was the hardest year ever in my life......so I gained about 50-65lbs....since I gained..everyone treat me soo diffierent and was so mean...no friends..no husband.it was just soo sad. I wanna lose weight cus i wanna love myself ..not for anyone!! and everything. thank for sharing. thank god that I dont feel alone like this. Im so happy to be in mfp cus its helping me......
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,876 Member
    Options
    Well written!!!
  • LORRIE22
    LORRIE22 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of self confidence and am a happy outgoing person and have a lot of good friends, thin and overweight friends. . I am still overweight, and there are a few thin people who have totally ignored me for years now. So I learned to ignore them in return.

I know they will be friendly when I lose more weight. I plan on totally ignoring these few people in the future because they have a "problem" with overweight people... Give them a taste of their own medicine. I don't approve of their behavior toward the overweight.

Already strangers are much nicer. That's OK with me as they never knew me as heavier. And I like the extra attention. And I like to make new friends.
    But the ones who have known me and have ignored me for years, I will continue to ignore them in the future. There is no room for these ignorant people in my life.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! That was an interesting read!
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    At 230 pounds people always held the door for me,infact I got treated no diffrent at 230 than I do now at 175 or when I was 120.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting.

Another reminder that beauty is only skin deep for a lot of people out there. Kind of sad, but true.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I don't understand, if we treat OURSELVES better, why shouldn't others?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    wow

Glad you shared this!:flowerforyou:
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the article
  • jw0486
    jw0486 Posts: 1
    Options
    thanks for sharing- great story!
  • Bj112090
    Bj112090 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this! Great read...and it hits home pretty strongly.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!