How to calculate calorie goals according to NROLFW

Options

Replies

• Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    So this for everyone even though age is not a factor? At 54, I would expect that my metabolism would be slower and that would need to be factored in.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    another question
    If your BMI is 18-24.9:
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.6
    On workout days: 1.8

If your BMI is >25
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.5
    On workout days: 1.7

So for me, I'll do
    Non-workout days: X = 1222.54 * 1.6 = 1956 calories
    Workout days: X = 1222.54*1.8 = 2201 calories

do you memorize your "workout day" calories and just try to hit that on MFP (because, as far as i know, there is no way to have two different calorie goals on MFP).. AND are these net calories or just overall calories on workout days?

In the past I would just change it every day. You could set your calories at the higher number and on your non workout days you'd be technically under.

I made an excercise in mfp for the extra calories called "Lifting Day Extra Calories"
  • modernmom70
    Options
    So this for everyone even though age is not a factor? At 54, I would expect that my metabolism would be slower and that would need to be factored in.

Yes, the formula in the book also has an age range componant in it.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options

So is there another step in the book to allow for age I need to complete, or would I just follow the steps outlined in this forum?
  • modernmom70
    Options

So is there another step in the book to allow for age I need to complete, or would I just follow the steps outlined in this forum?

At the end of the OP's post when you get into multiplying your bmi the op is listing the under 35 years multipliers. So you would use the same formula except for over 35 years:

If your bmi is 18-24.9 then:
    Non workout day x 1.4, active workout day x 1.6, strenuous work and workout day 1.8
    If your bmi is more than 25 then:
    Non workout day x 1.2, active workout day x 1.4, strenuous work and workout day 1.6

But you should really get the book, if you are going to follow the program you need it.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bumperoo~! really want to get the book:)
  • flipperflapper
    flipperflapper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • katlynx6
    katlynx6 Posts: 68
    Options
    bump!
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I'm VERY curious about all this and plan on delving into the research/numbers a bit more when I have a chance. I actually requested the book from my library and hope to have it in hand soon. I'm around my goal weight but want to get VERY ripped up in the abs/arms/back so this might be what I've been missing. :)
  • osorio1
    osorio1 Posts: 63
    Options
    Bump
  • loligon
    loligon Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks! I just honked hardcore this weekend and, after some research, decided it was probably that I was not eating enough. I nervously upped my calories from 1200 to 1500, and was really worried I would not lose any weight that way. With these calculations, it seems I could be eating more than that! I feel much better now. :)
  • sashy19
    sashy19 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I just bought the kindle edition of this book, and started reading today, but had not hit any actual recommendations yet. E-books are a pain to flip back through, so I'm glad to have found this all laid out clearly!

There should be a way to set "bookmarks" on your Kindle - it's very useful for books like NROLFW with charts, etc. hope that helps. :)

Actually you can add various bookmarks and notes on a Kindle. Do a quick Google search for "how to bookmark kindle" and you will find step by step instructions.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I just bought the kindle edition of this book, and started reading today, but had not hit any actual recommendations yet. E-books are a pain to flip back through, so I'm glad to have found this all laid out clearly!

There should be a way to set "bookmarks" on your Kindle - it's very useful for books like NROLFW with charts, etc. hope that helps. :)

Hey, I hope this helps... I have an older Kindle and I can set bookmarks. Here is how I do it. I just click the menu button when I'm on the page I want to bookmark. Then there is a "Add a bookmark" option. I just click it. Then, later, I can just open the book, click menu and click "View my notes and marks". It lists all of my notes and bookmarks, go to the one I want, click and it takes me there.

Thanks. I discovered the bookmarks by accident today, and I did bookmark the most important pages. I have a Kindle Fire, but I've only had it for a couple months, and I usually only use it for internet and magazine subscriptions. I still prefer bound paper novels!
  • GlorytoGodalone400
    Options
    Bump
  • caseydimples
    caseydimples Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options

You're right, it does mention different things for different ages, at the time I was just posting this to help out a friend without leaving all the info in a comment, and I knew she wasn't over 35 years old, so I didn't mention that part. Here's that info:

BMI 18-24.9 and AGE over 35 years
    No workout: multiply by 1.4
    Active workout day: by 1.6

BMI >25 AND AGE over 35 years
    No workout: multiply by 1.2
    Workout: multiply by 1.4

Also, to others, I cannot be more clear in stating this is the NET amount you should be eating each day on NON WORKOUT days. The "workout day" calculation is not Net, that is total calories because it is accounting for the expenditure on working out. If you expend more than ~250 cals on your workout, eat back all the rest of those too!

Note the part where I mention that he says you can cut 300 cals from the numbers you get from this if you really feel that you should be eating less. I know it seems like a lot, but I cannot emphasize more that it's significantly better for you and that if you want to be healthy you should seriously consider suggestions like this and also do more of your own research into the topic if you feel the need to. It's your body and it's important to understand how it works if you're going to be manipulating it.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    another question
    If your BMI is 18-24.9:
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.6
    On workout days: 1.8

If your BMI is >25
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.5
    On workout days: 1.7

So for me, I'll do
    Non-workout days: X = 1222.54 * 1.6 = 1956 calories
    Workout days: X = 1222.54*1.8 = 2201 calories

do you memorize your "workout day" calories and just try to hit that on MFP (because, as far as i know, there is no way to have two different calorie goals on MFP).. AND are these net calories or just overall calories on workout days?

In the past I would just change it every day. You could set your calories at the higher number and on your non workout days you'd be technically under.

I made an excercise in mfp for the extra calories called "Lifting Day Extra Calories"

That's basically what I did, I just use "circuit training" at 30 min and have it set at 250 calories manually, just like how you would if you had a HRM and were manually entering cals. But if you're doing something besides lifting, estimate that however you normally would and add it as exercise and eat back those cals.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for sharing.
  • araxiedyck
    araxiedyck Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump