tatoos>>>>?

Options

Replies

• connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    And to that one who asked about what will I do when I get older, here's my answer :bigsmile:

tatold.jpg

haha! Nice!!
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm a painted lady and love it!
    Same here!

Likewise! I have 5. Finally finished the large one that covers my left side and have planned my right side! :)
  • finz96
    Options
    And to that one who asked about what will I do when I get older, here's my answer :bigsmile:

tatold.jpg

haha! Nice!!

Love! I always get the question about having tattoos when I'm in a nursing home when I'm old. I tell people that I don't care whether people like them now, so I'm a lot less likely to care when I'm old and senile! LOL!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    No. I'm not into defacing my own body. I also find them a turn-off in women, with a few rare exceptions.

It's just so trendy. There was a time that having tattoos meant something; either you were a biker or had done time etc. Now it just means that you follow the crowd.

I completely disagree with this.

If you want to get to the roots of tattooing, I suggest you do a little bit of research.... Tattooing has been around for centuries, and it did not start with bikers or people in jail.

And I would adore to know how I follow a crowd.... I am, out of every one I know, the least person to follow a trend.

This comment is just idiotic.

THANK YOU!!!!

Sorry, but whether you're going to admit it or not, tattoos are a huge trend. How many TV shows are there about it now? It's just a fact.

Tattoo programmes which have only come about the past couple of years VS tattoos for Centuries... Use your common knowledge/sense please.
    You made his point. For centuries it languished and now it is trendy.

There is a difference between what is popular within the media industry and makes money, to what has been around, and been popular, for centuries.

Jesus, do you have any common sense?!

They are fairly easy to distinguish between.
    Popularity implies mass appeal. Tattooing didn't achieve mass appeal until relatively recently. I'd say the early 90's was the beginning of the current groundswell.

Buy a book on tattoo history.
    Read it.
    Come back when I am likely to consider giving a hopefully more educated comment a second thought.
    In that book on tattoo history is it going to show me that the percentage of people getting tattoos is flat over time? If it doesn't, then it says nothing about my point that tattoos are currently trendy.

Can you PLEASE pay attention to what you're saying? You are so incorrect. I've alread explained how your "trendy" comments are incorrect, but here:

cur·rent   [kur-uhnt, kuhr-] Show IPA
    adjective
    new; present; most recent: the current issue of a publication.

Again, sir, you are wrong.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, just not your own facts.

Some of the things I enjoy have been co-opted and turned into trends. It's annoying. That doesn't change the fact that x has become trendy. Sorry.
  • mackenzierain
    mackenzierain Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I personally love tattoos...have 10 so far and not done yet, lol.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    No. I'm not into defacing my own body. I also find them a turn-off in women, with a few rare exceptions.

It's just so trendy. There was a time that having tattoos meant something; either you were a biker or had done time etc. Now it just means that you follow the crowd.

If you want to get to the roots of tattooing, I suggest you do a little bit of research.... Tattooing has been around for centuries, and it did not start with bikers or people in jail.

And I would adore to know how I follow a crowd.... I am, out of every one I know, the least person to follow a trend.

THANK YOU!!!!

Sorry, but whether you're going to admit it or not, tattoos are a huge trend. How many TV shows are there about it now? It's just a fact.

Tattoo programmes which have only come about the past couple of years VS tattoos for Centuries... Use your common knowledge/sense please.

There is a difference between what is popular within the media industry and makes money, to what has been around, and been popular, for centuries.

Popularity implies mass appeal. Tattooing didn't achieve mass appeal until relatively recently. I'd say the early 90's was the beginning of the current groundswell.

Read it.
    Come back when I am likely to consider giving a hopefully more educated comment a second thought.
    In that book on tattoo history is it going to show me that the percentage of people getting tattoos is flat over time? If it doesn't, then it says nothing about my point that tattoos are currently trendy.

Can you PLEASE pay attention to what you're saying? You are so incorrect. I've alread explained how your "trendy" comments are incorrect, but here:

adjective

Some of the things I enjoy have been co-opted and turned into trends. It's annoying. That doesn't change the fact that x has become trendy. Sorry.

I sincerely hope you follow your own advice, as your "facts" are incorrect.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

THANK YOU!!!!

Read it.

adjective

No. They are not. Tattoos are trendy. I was being nice. At least I didn't call it a fad.
  • tattooedtealady
    tattooedtealady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just to round things off -

To all of those who are happy with their choices of what to do with their own body, good. It is always lovely to 'virtually meet' people who have the same interests and beliefs as you, if any of you would like to add me, please do feel free.

To those of you who expressed your opinions against tattoos in a mature, sensible and non-offensive way - Thank you. It is nice to know not every one has to taken the passive aggressive approach to something they disagree with/dislike/are unsure of. And just remember - I like to believe anyway, that no one alters their body to offend anyone. For me, at least, it is a way of expressing myself and feeling happier with myself.

And to the offensive, passive aggressive comments - Stick the kettle on. Sounds like you need a cuppa!
  • finz96
    Options
    fad (fd)
    n.
    A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

Hmmmm....wonder how brief of a period of time it would have to be to be considered a fad. I got my first one 15 years ago, and I'm pretty sure they were popular then, too!
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    Just to round things off -

To all of those who are happy with their choices of what to do with their own body, good. It is always lovely to 'virtually meet' people who have the same interests and beliefs as you, if any of you would like to add me, please do feel free.

To those of you who expressed your opinions against tattoos in a mature, sensible and non-offensive way - Thank you. It is nice to know not every one has to taken the passive aggressive approach to something they disagree with/dislike/are unsure of. And just remember - I like to believe anyway, that no one alters their body to offend anyone. For me, at least, it is a way of expressing myself and feeling happier with myself.

And to the offensive, passive aggressive comments - Stick the kettle on. Sounds like you need a cuppa!
    Good for you. I wish everyone were so comfortable with their decisions.
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    086vu.jpg

This is my tattoo on my left wrist. It represents the Holy Trinity (a combination of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), my family (my mother, brother, and myself), and the number three (I testified against my rapist three times for three years before he was finally sent to prison) and it took me three years after all of that to consider myself recovered enough to love myself again.

Every time I see it, I'm reminded of how strong I am and how far I've come. Every time someone else sees it, it gives them an opportunity to learn a little bit about me, and I, a little bit about them. I can't tell you how many rape survivors I met after them noticing my tattoo. :smile:

I love your tattoo. I too, believe the tattoo a person wears should reflect something about that person, in any way.
    Thanks also for your courage in sharing what was a traumatic and horrifying experience. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, and then go through court that many times.

You are a true fighter and survivor! Thanks for making a symbol of that strength in you.

PS: I too am closely connected to the three...it has a lot of meaning in my life as well, as has for a long time.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    fad (fd)
    n.
    A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

Hmmmm....wonder how brief of a period of time it would have to be to be considered a fad. I got my first one 15 years ago, and I'm pretty sure they were popular then, too!
    I didn't call it a fad. I called it trendy, which it is.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    quit arguing and let this thread die already.
  • finz96
    Options
    fad (fd)
    n.

You implied you had only called it trendy instead of a fad out of sheer niceness though. However, I do disagree with you on both accounts.
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    fad (fd)
    n.

OMG, are you EVER going to let this go? What is wrong with you?
  • finz96
    Options
    quit arguing and let this thread die already.

Amen!
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    fad (fd)
    n.

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

THANK YOU!!!!

Read it.

adjective

No. They are not. Tattoos are trendy. I was being nice. At least I didn't call it a fad.

Not to break your flow but, You guys should seriously join Debatable Debating club, you guys got mad marathon endurance for the debating :)
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    fad (fd)
    n.

I think depending on WHY you got the tattoo determines if it is trendy or not.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    fad (fd)
    n.

I think depending on WHY you got the tattoo determines if it is trendy or not.
    Maybe. However the discussion was whether tattoos in general are currently trendy. To argue otherwise is to deny reality.