Options
    Well said!
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Don't make me fill out a HRF.

Hurt Feelings Report

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv37/punkrockHR/hurt-feelings-report.jpg

Perfect, I'm going to have to save this!!
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Hurt Feelings Report

LOL
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This problem isn't limited to America. It's worming it's way into society here, and it stinks.
  • elysianashes
    Options

Hurt Feelings Report

I can't believe I have never come across this. This image makes me the happiest panda.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Here's a good one, my high school student wasn't handing the work on time. Well, we go to conferences and the teacher says "He has plenty of time to make it up, I'll let him hand it in late". Hubs is like, "Fail him". Bottom line is, it affects their "numbers" if you have a bunch of kids who fail. They let him slide.

Oh, here's the new thing now you don't get zeros for not handing in work, you get 50% because it brings down the grade too much.

My Dad just tried to explain this too me a month ago and quite honestly I think the principal brain washed him because he doesn't think this way. UGHH that makes me sick

My mom is a high school teacher by day, personal trainer by night, and you bet your *kitten* she has no problem failing a kid for not doing their work. HOWEVER...the way the public education system in Texas is, teachers have almost stopped giving a *kitten* because they force the standardized testing issue down their throats and the whole "no child left behind" crap. Leave some children behind, dammit! Let teachers actually teach, make kids actually work, and if kids don't do the work, they fail. Period.

Omg, and the helicopter parents thing, my mom was a private school principal for a while and those are the WORST. She could go on for hours about those damn helicopter parents!

Seriously, this is New Mexico to a T.
  • Simmy_Potatoes
    Options
    I agree with this. I remember Track and Field Day from when I was a kid. I was never into.....activity. So I never placed in any events. So what do they do for kids like me? They give us "Participation Ribbons". I hated those things. I didn't understand why they wouldn't just let me lose. They had to announce our names over the intercomes and say what ribbon we got. Mind you I was in elementary school. I always saw through this stuff. I know that there are winners and losers despite some people's best effort.
  • BlueEyesXoXo
    Options
    I so agree! And I'm only 22 without kids. Blah. Let kids fail and let them lose. It builds character.

By the way, what exactly is a helicoptor parent? hehe.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i disagree.

and my kid is awesome.

the only way you become a winner is to not let the failures beat you down and keep trying. What is the saying? Edison didn't fail 500 times, he found 500 ways to not make a lightbulb work.

And had he been sufficiently rewarded for those 500 failures, he might never have found the need to go on to find the one success.
  • weightlosshippie
    weightlosshippie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You mean not everyone can get the job they want in life? Haha!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I so agree! And I'm only 22 without kids. Blah. Let kids fail and let them lose. It builds character.

By the way, what exactly is a helicoptor parent? hehe.

A parent that just hovers over everything their child does and makes noise lol
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Your a winner if you participate!
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    couldn't agree more.
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I agree, kids should know how to lose. Making mistakes and learning from them builds character. Shows you what you are truly made of.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Seriously agree. Last year my son did T-ball and it was the same thing, no scoring at all, no one even got out, they all just took a turn hitting and ran to one base and moved around the diamond as other people hit. My son was 5 and when we got there and the coach was talking about how they would not be scoring he got totally pissed. This year he wants to play soccer because T-ball was such a letdown!
  • chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but def see this now. Some think I'm over zealous about wanting certain things because honestly it shows you have accomplished things ie the car,man,money,job,body,etc. They are trophie minus the man. In our society no one wants to ruffle feathers and no one wants to help others push harder. If you are hard here you called a ice crotch *****. I'm competitive I like to go all in. I hope things turn around but I just don't know anymore. Our society as a overall whole has lost it's edge and may not recover because the loss of doing things right and pushing harder is not the norm. No one wants to work or do the hard thing.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I agree with almost everything, except the very young thing. My son is in beginners soccer, they don't play games yet, so they don't keep score. They are learning the game and developing their skills, in the fall, he will play real games.

everything else sounds crazy. If you win, you get a medal, if not, you don't. I don't even think you need medals/trophies all the time ether..

my friend was going to buy her son a trophy for completing beginners soccer, because his sister just got a trophy for cheerleading. I just said.. why? He didn't get a trophy from the league, why would you buy him one.. she said, because he would be upset that his sister got one, and he didn't.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The sad part is this happens in the classroom too. I work with a LOT of students coming into one of the best undergraduate universities in the country, and so many of them are ill prepared and just shut down if you fail them on a single assignment. They never learned how to recover from failure or how to learn anything they don't get easily or naturally. They also tend to blame me instead of themselves. Sadly, this is one of the reasons the freshman dropout rate is so high in American universities.

I always compare that to my students from overseas who get a B, work their *kitten* off the next time and get 100% on the next exam because they learned from what they did wrong last time and applied it for the next time.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily disagree with you OP, but what is the value of losing?